Teaching a Beginner Magic Class

Jan 27, 2008
I think it would be fine just to get them started. But don't get in over your head. If they get past you in skill level, and want to learn more advanced material, you're screwed. Just be careful, and I think you'll be fine.

If I taught a student so well he's better than me, than I know I'm hiding something from myself but just because a kid is now superior than you, it doesn't mean it's bad. I would think that it's a beutiful thing that he would surpass me because I know that my teachings didn't go to waste and that kid has a bright future ahead of him.

If he ever does that (surpass you), please, congratulate him.

..:Z:..

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
Rather than bickering about the definition of a class/lecture/course and whether it is the best way to do things, how about finding practical suggestions for the original poster to approach his situation?

I already said I don't think it can be done, but that I could also be wrong, and I'd like to hear how it goes.

Then people got up in arms about how top professionals give lectures, and somebody posted a bunch of crap from the dictionary. That's not productive, but it betrays a misunderstanding, and the misunderstanding needs to be corrected.

My advice - if you want it - is not to do this class. I think it will do more harm than good. I believe you would be better off selecting a few individuals to teach in one-on-one sessions yourself, and sending others to learn from other area magicians who have expressed an interest in teaching the next generation of magicians.

I don't think you're going to take my advice, and to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't take it either. If I thought something was a good idea, and someone told me it would never work, I'd try it anyway. There are always people saying it will never work, and most of them don't know squat.

The reason I say you can't teach magic in a classroom setting is simply that the field is too large. You may have one person who wants to learn card tricks, and another who doesn't know flourishes aren't really magic, and another who wants to saw people in half, and another who just thinks cups and balls would be the coolest thing. Expand that out to thirty people, and you can't cover what everyone wants to know at all - let alone give them sufficient background to continue pursuing it.

Even if you restrict the class to card tricks, the environment is bad. A community of a few hundred people - like a school - cannot support several dozen magicians. Each of them can perform each trick for maybe a half dozen people, and then everyone's seen it. If one of them screws up and exposes the trick, the whole class has the trick ruined. The small community size requires that the students race one another to perform for an audience before everyone's already seen the trick, and the consequences of racing - the likelihood of exposure - are felt by all the competitors. Once one student races too fast, performs too early, and blows the trick... everybody loses. That trick, and all the time and effort you put into it, doesn't play for this audience anymore.

This situation is aggravated by the simple fact that many of the kids attracted to a class like this will be competitive and socially inept. They think that if they could only do some card tricks, they could be popular - and that would show those dumb jocks on the football team. They see card tricks as a way to make friends, rather than just look like a dork, the way it generally turns out. When reality doesn't match up with their dreams, they need specific and individualised instruction - both to correct their fantasy world, bringing it closer to reality, and to identify the reasons their performance didn't align with their intentions. Without that, they frequently leave the field in disgust, and may even start resenting the very existence of other magicians.

My single greatest concern with respect to these two issues is that the educator giving the class will simply throw up his hands and say "what happens outside of this class is not my problem". Then you have trick exposure ruining the audience while bad experiences are ruining potential magicians, and the damage done is simply irreparable.

I do not believe these problems are insurmountable. I simply cannot see any way to solve them. If you think you can solve them, that's fantastic, and I look forward to hearing about it. But if you haven't even thought about them, you're already in trouble even before the class starts.

Notice that none of the problems I've identified are true of the lectures given at magic conventions. Everyone attending such a lecture knows exactly what he's there to learn, will not be trying to take his newfound knowledge into the same community as the other attendees, and brings his own unique blend of experiences and preferences to the performance in any case. It's simply a different animal.

Jan 11, 2008
New york
I work at a Non-Public school teaching students who qualify for Special Education services and are on probation. Most of the students live in placement (on campus in dorms or in group homes). I have been practicing magic for a year now and perform for my students at times. Some of them really enjoy it and have begun learning on their own.

I was in Special ED from 4th grade to high school, I have a reading disability, words dance on the page p,q,b,d ,God,dog= all the same to me. (I won't even try to spell what its called). hence the grammar and spelling. But it was a magic book that i accidentally pulled off the shelf in the library that helped me push pass the problem. (it was suppose to be a report on magnets).
my uncle was a great help too.

anyway if you ask the class to bring in a book on magic from the library maybe thats one way to find out who's serious about learning this great art.
and if anyone brings in a book on magnets think of me. lol

Sep 1, 2007
I would have a no performance outside of class rule, which is congruent with my thoughts on the course structure. Performance experience should be limited to the other members of the class in order to get the most constructive feedback. Students could work towards a performance involving all of them towards the end of the school year.

If you place more emphasis on set up/stage effects then this limit is automatic - the kids just can't saunter out and perform what they've been working on. Of course, the downside is that stage tricks are expensive.

Sep 4, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks to everyone who expressed in interest and offered suggestions or pointed out problem areas. This is really in the beginning phase. My purpose in posting was to get feedback on the ethical issues that surround teaching magic. Everyone has definitely pointed out things to be aware of when planning the class structure. When I write out the curriculum plan I will post it to this thread. Thank you to all, it has shown me that there are a lot of issues to consider before embarking on this.

Just to clarify, it is a very small school and the class would most likely meet once a week with no more than 5-7 students (possibly less). I think this would allow for one-on-on instruction time. Another concern is that the turn over rate is fairly high; students occassionally run-away from the program, get detained, or are released from placement (if i started the class with five students, they might not all be there by the end. I wouldn't really be able to let new students in b/c i would want to build on previous lessons.)
I am definitely more inspired to try it out since hearing people's comments and encouragement, but I also am beginning to see more of the challenges that it would pose.
I'm going to go celebrate my birthday now.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
Just to clarify, it is a very small school and the class would most likely meet once a week with no more than 5-7 students (possibly less). I think this would allow for one-on-on instruction time.

I think it could work with a class that size. I'm still skeptical about the cultural issues around the kids performing tricks for other students, but I think a half dozen students is within the realm of possibility for the instruction aspect alone.

I'm really looking forward to hearing more about how this goes. And happy birthday. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results