Tenyo Tuesday! - ' Magical Burger'

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I was sifting through the 20 reviews I still have yet to do a 'Tenyo Tuesday' on and I stumbled across this little thing! Apparently, when I first started, I wrote a review of this just to get ahead of the curve. However, since then, I sort of found my way of writing these things and spent the last day just overhauling the review. Oddly enough, an already written review takes as long as editing a prior written one. Who knew?
So this week, we're going over a packet trick with a weird theme. It's a doozy, trust me. So sit down, get ready, and order up!

MAGICAL BURGER

Inventor: Toru Suzuki
Year: 2009
Cost: $20-$25
Type of Effect: 1st effect: Prediction 2nd effect: Prediction 3rd effect: Prediction
Skill Level: Intermediate - Expert

CONTENTS:
- 1 plastic card holder-sleeve
- 10 delicious cards

EFFECT #1 ‘Happy Burger’: A magician sets out two hamburger bun cards and a hamburger patty card out. A member of the audience freely selects one of the toppings. The magician is then able to correctly predict the topping.

EFFECT #2 ‘Instant Burger’: The magician sets out the 2 hamburger bun cards. A member from the audience selects and writes down 4 individual topping cards. After the cards are mixed up face up and face down. The magician reveals only the 4 selected topping cards

EFFECT #3 ‘Hamburger Prediction’: The magician writes an ‘order’ down. A member from the audience mixes up the cards face up and face down (again). When the cards are spread, the only cards revealed match the order that the magician wrote down.

REVIEW:
I TOLD you! I so told you that this one is a doozy. It’s a packet trick with circular cards with pictures of different toppings and hamburger buns. And not only that, you’re doing MENTAL MAGIC routines with them. Mental magic food. It’s the most bizarre and fun theme I have ever seen!

Anyway!

Little bit of background on this one. Every year, Tenyo releases a set of tricks every Fall. People then can collect the proofs of purchase and send them in during Spring of the next year for what is called a ‘redemption trick’ or ‘+1 trick’. All of the redemption/+1 tricks that have been (and probably will ever be) released are packet tricks of various themes and principles. Well worth your time snooping around for. But Magical Burger was one of four redemption tricks that were reprinted due to popularity (the other 3 were Magical Sneakers, Magical Calendar, and Sakkaku Scale/Illusion Scale).
As packet tricks, once you know the secret and do a bit of practice, you van (more than likely) put them in the card case that they came in, put them in your pocket, and begin your strolling routine.

Lucky you!

BUT WAIT!

I listed that this thing as ‘Intermediate – Expert’. What gives?

And this is considering that Tenyo tricks are made for laymen to perform.

To be able to perform some of them, you need to apply some good memory work and quick hands. And these sequences will take a bit of time to get down properly. And a bit more time to do it at a good speed, especially since they take a bit of time to actually perform to produce the effect. So you need an appropriate script and presentation in there to fill the time…and yes, we’re talking about food and burgers. So the theme is inherently lighthearted and going to (more than likely) be silly; run with it!

One of the effects is quick to do; faster than the others. In fact, there’s a way to make it even MORE advanced (any the reason why I put up the ‘expert’ difficulty), but when I say ‘MORE advanced’, it’s actually ridiculous. Effective, but ridiculous. The ‘ridiculous’ method (one I worked on for a month and wrote my own notes for) DOES give the effect a more ‘impossible’ prediction effect. Absolutely clean. I think it’s great, as long as you practice it frequently. Might be biased, but who knows.

So what’s my take on it?

It’s a packet trick that has a little something for everybody. I think because of the shorter length of one of the routines, you can do it for a younger audience. But the others? Probably better for older audiences. The theme of a food that produces PREDICIONS (of all things) makes it inherently a wacky packet trick.

One word of caution is to create a presentation. Yes, I know, a presentation about a hamburger card trick. Here’s why you need a presentation: Because of the memory work, your audience and the member onstage will be watching what you’re doing if you’re not careful. The sequences can be tough to follow from beginning to end. But if you’re not fast with them, I got bad news for you!

So, is it worth it? I will say that it was printed AND reprinted for a reason. It’s still easy to find and you get three different mental magic presentations. That said, I feel that packet tricks, for the most part, have some sort of incorporated story or theme that make them hard to work with within a set or routine. The thing you’re working against here, if you’re building a set, is the inherent theme of ‘food’. Then again, the theme is more open ended and a bit easier to work with than most.

The only other thing I would have to say about it is that it’s one of the most ‘involved’ Tenyo I own, in terms of memory work in some way, shape, or form.

However, in order to determine if it is the best buy for you, I’d think for a while and make sure it’s something that you can create a routine with it or have a way to implement it within a set. It’s not something I’d recommend to everyone. But if you THINK you have a good way of presenting it…Or at least want some good memory challenge, then by all means!

Reactions: Levent Suberk
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results