Tenyo Tuesday! - 'Super Cubio'

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Okay, truth be told, I was going to wait until I wrote this review because I was going to review several of Tenyo’s ‘Cubio’ variants at the same time, making it a sort of multi-review. But the ONE ‘Cubio’ I’ve been shooting for in the last year; I believe I’ve deduced that it’s going to be so vastly different from the other’ Cubio’s that it might be a sort of review on its own. You know, IF and WHEN I can get it, big IF because it’s a hard to find collector’s item, and WHEN because I’d be a helluva a wallet-buster for me. Regardless, Super ‘Cubio' has become my daughters FAVORITE Tenyo effect now, and rightfully so. So let’s get into it!

SUPER CUBIO

Inventor: Unknown
Year: 1981
Cost: $65-$75
Type of Effect: 1st effect: ‘Quasi-levitation’
Skill Level: Beginner

CONTENTS:
- 1 …Um…’Super Cubio’
- 1 Storage Pouch

EFFECT #1: You, the magician, present ‘Super Cubio’, a cube with a string through it. Different presentations aside, when the string is held vertically, the magician can make the cube stop ON COMMAND in MID-AIR. However, the ‘Super Cubio’ can be passed off to a member of the audience and they won’t be able to achieve the same result

REVIEW:
Let’s get this out of the way first. ‘Super Cubio’ is the EXACT SAME as Tenyo’s older brother ‘Cubio’ as far as functionality goes. So if you’re interested in the effect, ‘Cubio’ is MUCH MUCH cheaper and easier to find than ‘Super Cubio’.
The BIG differences with Super Cubio is mainly aesthetics and the fact that you get a nifty carrying bag with it. I got mine used and it DIDN’T have the bag, but I’m really going to be okay without it. The seller I got it from is a friend of mine and I knew that the ‘Super Cubio’ was going to be in immaculate condition (and it was). ANYWAY!
The smaller aesthetic between ‘Cubio’ and ‘Super Cubio’ is color. Cubio is predominantly white with a large colored spot on 4 sides. ‘Super Cubio’ is a dark navy blue with the 4 colored spots. The big aesthetic difference between ‘Cubio’ and ‘Super Cubio’ is the size difference, as the name might suggest. ‘Cubio’ is smaller, while ‘Super Cubio’ is bigger (to be more specific, it’s a perfect cube, and every one of its sides is ALMOST an inch. Do the math). Because both ‘Cubio’s work the same, one could argue that the SMALLER one would appear more impossible than the larger counterpart. So WHY even bother with the big one? A larger crowd or show.
While both ‘Cubios’ are rather diminutive in size, the ‘Super Cubio’ has a color that makes it rather easy to see in a well-lit setting, as well as have a slightly larger size to make it easier to see the cube in general. Both ‘Cubios’ in general are very easy and very fun to work. If you’re serious about using this, you’re obviously going to need a bit of practice to make this work if you intend to have someone TRY and make your ‘Cubio’ work.

So what are the downsides of ‘Super Cubio’? Really it’s just the price. It was made in 1981 and is rather hard to find, and when you do find one, it’s going to cost you. On top of that, because of the color of ‘Super Cubio’, I believe its best used in a setting where its well-lit. Whereas ‘Cubio’ would work best in a darker setting like a restaurant.
Aside from those two, I will say that I really had to dig deep to have an actual complaint about ‘Super Cubio’. It’s a neat trick that I, personally (a student of magic who has real estate in Rookie Town) have NEVER been called out for, or anyone figuring out how it works. It’s a bit hard to get into details about how and why you would need more practice in using it. But the point still stands: Here’s a trick that packs small, plays big, hard to figure out, and easy to routine with. It’s costs a bit, but you’d be hard pressed to go wrong with a ‘Cubio’ or ‘Super Cubio’.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results