The Best Card Effect - Low Budget

Mar 27, 2011
Hey Everybody,

This "title" is a much debated topic on magic forums with different people having different views. The reason for creating this thread is to see everybody's views on their favorite effect using cards along with their reasons and whether it was worth the money they put into it.I am talking about card effects around $15-$20.It can be anything including color changes etc.

RC Magic

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 9, 2010
Why spend $35 on a single card effect when you could spend ~$30 on volume 1 of Giobbi's Card College?

Exactly, then, you'll know more methods and eventually might make something that is just as good or better than that trick that costs $35. (now, this isn't ALWAYS the case,everybody buys a one-trick wonder every now and then)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'm going to have to agree with the above posters. I never spend that kind of money on one card effect. The "gems" are all found in old books and lecture notes. Pick up some copies of the Linking Ring from the 70s and 80s and go to the Card Corner.

Try using a Double Blank Deck of Cards and do an Ambitious Routine with a signed card. I'm just saying..there are way cheaper ways to create miracles out there.

Mar 27, 2011
Thank you for all your advice but do you know any video that takes you through all the basic sleights as I'm rather new to magic.Also it would help if the video is not too costly.Thanks again,

RC Magic

Jan 17, 2011
themagicnetwork.com
I agree that everyone has their own opinion about what the "best" is, so I will say my "favourites." Also, I agree that a good book on card magic will give you far more bang for your buck.

Having said that, many of us buy a "one trick pony" every now and then, as do I... two of my favourite card routine pdfs that I have bought for $20 or less are from Paul Vigil... "Diplopia" and "Sympathy for the Devil Cards." ($15 and $20 respectively).

I think Paul is brilliant and is a great thinker, and a lot can be learned from the way he routines and presents his effects.

Mar 27, 2011
Hey Everybody,A lot of people have said that "Stigmata" by Wayne Houchin is extremely good and I must say when I read the preview I thought that this is not possible.Does anyone know more about this effect or a "better" effect?

RC Magic

Dec 26, 2009
Thank you for all your advice but do you know any video that takes you through all the basic sleights as I'm rather new to magic.Also it would help if the video is not too costly.Thanks again,

RC Magic

RC,

Why do you want video? You say you are "rather new to magic". So, why not start out with books? I know this may start a debate of books vs DVDs but I will dive into it anyway. There are many books available in both book and DVD format but I am going to use The Royal Road to Card Magic.

The Royal Road to Card Magic

You can get Royal Road in both book format and DVD format. Both offer great teaching of sleights. The book covers EVERYTHING. The DVD only covers things that R. Paul Wilson finds important in the Royal Road to Card Magic book. Now lets talk cost. The book can be found for under $5 online, shipping included. The cheapest I can find the DVD set online is $70.90, shipping included. One more thing that most people don't look at is if you are reading a book to learn you are actually studying (here come the naysayers). I do not feel like watching a DVD is studying per se. Yes, you are learning from the DVD, but IMO it is not the same thing as reading and re-reading a sleight to learn it. My entire first year of magic I studied my copy of The Royal Road to Card Magic. I would not have been able to do the same thing with a DVD. Any time I needed to look something up in the Royal Road I picked up my book and turned to the page no matter where I was. If I had the DVD, I would have to find a DVD player and pop it in, wait for the DVD to load and then go to the chapter I needed and listen to R. Paul Wilson talk and talk and talk until he got to the part I need. See where I am going with this? Books are just easier because you can take them with you everywhere you go.

Books also offer one more thing that DVDs do not. Interpretation. You read the book and learn from it. You interpret what you are reading and make it work for the way YOU handle cards. If you are watching a DVD you are learning the way the person on the DVD handles cards. You are learning the way THEY do the sleights, which may not work for you.

A lot of people say they can't learn from books because they are "visual learners". I call BS. Books offer pictures for the parts of the sleights that need extra attention. Pictures = visual, right?

IMO, DVDs are both the easy/lazy way and the hard way in learning magic. Easy/lazy as in, DVDs spoon feed you the sleights by giving you an easy learning tool that needs no real studying. Hard as in, its harder and would take longer to pop in a DVD just to see the finger placement for a sleight like "The Glide" than it would be to open a book and turn to the page.

One last thing, if you look at learning tools for magic as a whole: DVDs, VHS and online videos are probably less than 5% of the magic there is to learn and books, booklets, magazines, pdfs, and lecture notes take up the other 95+%. If you only learn from video you will only be hurting yourself and holding yourself back.

Don't get me wrong, I am not telling you to only learn from books. What I am telling you is, don't only learn from DVDs.

Hey Everybody,A lot of people have said that "Stigmata" by Wayne Houchin is extremely good and I must say when I read the preview I thought that this is not possible.Does anyone know more about this effect or a "better" effect?

RC Magic

And by asking a question like this, being "new to magic" you are already heading down the wrong path. Find an actual starting place (Royal Road to Card Magic, Card College) and start learning the fundamentals.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
First off, a color change isn't an effect. It is part of an effect and, based on most performances I've seen of color changes the effects they become part of aren't very good. Those effects are pick a card, find wrong card, change to your card. It's the same effect regardless of which color change to use.

Second, as a beginner, stay away from one trick wonders. Yes, Wayne's Stigmata is an amazing effect. The DVD has great teaching on the classic force. BUT, learn the fundamentals first.

To answer your question, some of my favorite effects:

Intuition with Cards and Made for Laughter from Royal Road to Card Magic
The Upside Down Deck, Traveling Aces and Nomenclature from Scarne on Card Tricks
Do as I Do - Which can be found in Royal Road, Scarne on Card Tricks and a number of variations in Encyclopedia of Card Tricks
TNT / Intuition from Roberto Giobbi's Card College Light
Travelers and Cutting the Aces from Stars of Magic
Unshuffling Rebecca - From Art of Astonishment Volume 1
Chad Long's Shuffling Lesson - From Art of Astonishment Volume 3
This list could go on and on.

What I'm working on now -- a routine from Six.Impossible.Things by John Bannon, Slydini's Helicopter Card from Karl Fulves' The Best of Slydini and More and some material from Caleb Wiles' lecture notes.

And, if you haven't noticed, they are all from books.

Jun 20, 2009
near paris

RC Magic

do you really like "stigmata" ? i never saw a trailer where you see nothing !
it's so obvious ,

Jul 13, 2010
AFAIK a color change is an effect. It`s a transformation.
Effects in Magic are productions, vanishes, transpositions, transformations, escapes, teleportations, penetrations, predicitons etc.
An effect can be, and most often is, the climax and essence of a trick or a routine (which uses more than one effect).

I also think the best bang for the buck are books. The chance that a one trick DVD is exposed on youtube is much higher. The youtube generation doesn´t read fortunately ;)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
AFAIK a color change is an effect. It`s a transformation.
Effects in Magic are productions, vanishes, transpositions, transformations, escapes, teleportations, penetrations, predicitons etc.
An effect can be, and most often is, the climax and essence of a trick or a routine (which uses more than one effect).

I use the word "effect" the same way you use "trick" because I don't like to trick my audience, I like to entertain them with the effect of what I am performing.

So, to clarify...

By itself, or as part of the "tricks" in which it is frequently used (pick card, find wrong card, change to right card), a color change is not strong magic and it does not reach the potential it could have as part of a well designed routine that has a strong plot and well developed patter.

Mar 27, 2011
Thanks a lot everybody especially Sam Hindrichs who helped me a lot with his helpful post.I know realize that I had been asking the wrong question and heading down the wrong path as he had rightfully stated.I now understand that as a newcomer I should try to get a proper foundation in the basics of card magic instead of looking for single card effects.Also most people think that books are a good place to start and after seeing their reasons I must agree that books are the best way too start learning magic and I will definitely be picking up a book to help me get started.Is there any other good book apart from Royal Road to Card Magic and Card College ?

Thanks again
RC Magic

Mar 27, 2011
Hey Sam,

You had said that you could find the Royal Road to Card Magic for less than $5 including shipping but I searched the net and I didn't find any site like that.Would you please tell me where you can get it?

RC Magic

Jul 13, 2010
Thanks a lot everybody especially Sam Hindrichs who helped me a lot with his helpful post.I know realize that I had been asking the wrong question and heading down the wrong path as he had rightfully stated.I now understand that as a newcomer I should try to get a proper foundation in the basics of card magic instead of looking for single card effects.Also most people think that books are a good place to start and after seeing their reasons I must agree that books are the best way too start learning magic and I will definitely be picking up a book to help me get started.Is there any other good book apart from Royal Road to Card Magic and Card College ?

Thanks again
RC Magic

Each to its own, but I personally don´t think that a book alone is the best way to start if you´re an absolute beginner.
As a beginner you don´t know how it should look like. It`s better to see it. A DVD in combination with a companion book is the best way to start IMO.

If I have to start again, I would buy the Card College DVD set by Roberto Giobbi and Card College 1&2 books. It´s a huge purchase and you must be sure you`re serious about Card Magic.
On the other hand, keep in mind you don´t need something else for maybe 2 years to come as it`s a complete course.
It`s an investment over time and in my mind much better than buying the latest and greatest one-trick DVDs over the years (which would btw cost you more in the end).
An alternative is the R.Paul Wilson 'Royal Road to Card Magic'-DVD-set in combination with the RRTCM book.

This may be helpful -> http://blog.aaronfishermagic.com/?p=688

@RealiyOne
That clarifies it. I just don´t use trick as a negative term. Just something to distinguish an effect from the trick. I´m aware that there`s no common nomenclature.
Act, performance, trick, effect and move are different to me because that makes it easier to comprehend IMO.
A trick to me is the pure act of stringing together the mechanical parts (secret sleights, effects etc.). A performance is the trick in combination with the pattern. An effect is what happens as described in my last post (a vanish, transformation, transposition etc.) and therefore just a part of a trick.
With this it´s easier for me to divide everything in its atomic components.
I don´t want to be nitpicking, it`s just to understand better of what someone refers to.
I´ve learned this is different for anyone (even in books it`s often different) but unfortunately the root of many misunderstandings ;)

Dec 26, 2009
Hey Sam,

You had said that you could find the Royal Road to Card Magic for less than $5 including shipping but I searched the net and I didn't find any site like that.Would you please tell me where you can get it?

RC Magic

Check here >>> http://search.half.ebay.com/royal-road-to-card-magic_W0QQmZbooks

Each to its own, but I personally don´t think that a book alone is the best way to start if you´re an absolute beginner.
As a beginner you don´t know how it should look like. It`s better to see it. A DVD in combination with a companion book is the best way to start IMO.

If I have to start again, I would buy the Card College DVD set by Roberto Giobbi and Card College 1&2 books. It´s a huge purchase and you must be sure you`re serious about Card Magic.
On the other hand, keep in mind you don´t need something else for maybe 2 years to come as it`s a complete course.
It`s an investment over time and in my mind much better than buying the latest and greatest one-trick DVDs over the years (which would btw cost you more in the end).
An alternative is the R.Paul Wilson 'Royal Road to Card Magic'-DVD-set in combination with the RRTCM book.

This may be helpful -> http://blog.aaronfishermagic.com/?p=688

So let me get this straight. You are telling a true beginner to go out and spend anywhere in between $70 (royal road DVD) and $125 (card college DVDs) on DVDs when he can learn the same information for anywhere between $5 (royal road book) and $49 (card college vol 1 & 2 books), and yes I did find Card College vol 1 & 2 for $49 together.

IMO, (I am not trying to sound like a jerk) ChrisWiens gave the worst advice anyone can give a true beginner and that is to spend more money than they need to on stuff they don't need to buy. Why in the world would you tell him to spend over $125 on the same information he can get for $49? I understand the whole video vs book argument so you don't have to get into that. What I don't understand is, why would you tell someone to spend more money than they need to spend to get the same information? You say, "As a beginner you don´t know how it should look like. It`s better to see it." RC Magic when you read this PM me and I will give you my info. If you are in need of any help with seeing the way things look I will personally help you through it and if I can't I will point you in the right direction to get the help you need. There is no need to spend the extra money when there are people willing to help.

Now lets talk cash. Lets say RC Magic does have $125 to spend on magic. He could spend all $125 on the Card College DVD set or he could buy,

Royal Road to Card Magic - $4.74
Card College vol 1 - $13.99
Card College vol 2 - $35.00
A brick (12 pk) of Bicycle playing cards - $16.20 (going from the Costco online price + taxes)

Now lets take a time out for a second. That's $69.93 worth of stuff that would probably last him for the first 2 years of magic, and now you are left with $55.07 to go to a local magic shop and buy a bunch of good one trick packets. Keyword is good, don't go to a magic shop and let the clerks talk you into buying crap. Actually have a magician perform stuff for you. If you like it, buy it. But remember what I said, don't buy crap. Maybe pick up Crazy Man's handcuffs. Very good and very easy trick done with 2 rubber bands. You can get that trick with instructions for under $10 I think. You can see Eric Ross performing the trick here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa4UlyCw7fI and he killed with it. And before anyone says anything about the difference in buying one trick packs from a magic shop and buying a one trick download, there is a difference because one trick packets are normally the basics (fundamentals) and are needed to further your magic.

Now, back on track, If you would have bought the DVD format of the three books above and a brick of cards you would have spent over $210 (a $140 difference) on less information (because R. Paul Wilson does NOT cover everything from The Royal Road to Card Magic book in his DVD set).

So the question is asked again, why would you tell someone to spend more money than they need to spend to get the same information?

Jul 13, 2010
Have you read my post?
1. It`s just my opinion and the way I would do it when I had to start over again.
2. I clearly said IN COMPANION to the books. As I´m really convinced (my own experience in the beginning) that visual material is more helpful IN THE BEGINNING (not later on!). You´re, excuse me, a bit shortsighted as you don´t see tha whole picture in the learning process, just the pure information, not the fact how this information is rehashed and presented. Giobbi has a far better ability to teach the material in an unrrivaled detail and in a way that even the bloddiest beginner can understand.
3. I stated that you ONLY should go that route if you´re REALLY serious about card magic and eager to spend a lot of effort and work into it. I also think that the DVD sets are even good if you´re an intermediate magician AND already own the books. The way Giobbi teaches it on the DVDs (and the books) are second to none.
Although the books cover more material (therefore and for reference studies I recommended to have both), you´ll even learn stuff that you CAN`t get from the books. The performance tips he gives are tremendous valuable and you can see them in action.
4. Yes, I´m CONVINCED that this will pay off in the long run.

Jun 10, 2010
A quick note on books:

When I first started, I got frustrated trying to read it and emulate what was explained after one try. Unlike DVDs, they WILL require multiple visits to make sure you know what you're doing properly. Of course, DVDs do too, but it seems like most people like to watch it once then toss it in the closet for a few years.

A tip I found is to actually concentrate on READING the book first, rather than trying to do the effect with cards in hand. The cards will take away your concentration, and I can guarantee you you'll understand the effect a lot more without them at first.

That being said, I agree 100% with everything Sam's posted on this thread. Fantastic advice (worked for me, so it's not just stuff he's pulling out his butt - he knows what he's talking about).

Dec 26, 2009
Have you read my post?
1. It`s just my opinion and the way I would do it when I had to start over again.
2. I clearly said IN COMPANION to the books. As I´m really convinced (my own experience in the beginning) that visual material is more helpful IN THE BEGINNING (not later on!).
3. I stated that you ONLY should go that route if you´re REALLY serious about card magic and eager to spend a lot of effort and work into it. I also think that the DVD sets are even good if you´re an intermediate magician AND already own the books. The way Giobbi teaches it on the DVDs (and the books) are second to none.
Although the books cover more material (therefore and for reference studies I recommended to have both), you´ll even learn stuff that you CAN`t get from the books. The performance tips he gives are tremendous valuable and you can see them in action.
4. Yes, I´m CONVINCED that this will pay off in the long run.

I did read your post and:

1. What I stated is also "just my opinion".
2. Again, in my opinion, to buy the books and the DVD sets IN COMPANION is a waste of a lot of money. As far a visual learning goes, I offered my help if he has any trouble IN THE BEGINNING and later on!
3. I still believe that buying the DVD sets is a waste of money whether you are REALLY serious about card magic or not and is especially a waste for an Intermediate magician. If someone is a true intermediate magician they should already have the knowledge taught in Royal Road and both Card College 1 & 2. As far as performance tips are concerned, I am sure he doesn't teach anything that hasn't been stated in another book. In all actuality as far as performance is concerned the best way to learn about performing is to go out and perform, not listening to someone else talk about performing.
4. Yes, I'm CONVINCED that spending $140 more on less information will never pay off in the long run and you will NEVER get that money back.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Royal Road is a great book, but Card College is tremendously better. The layout of the book, the level of detail in the descriptions, the style of the writing and the methods that Giobbi teaches (there are subtle differences) in Card College are excellent. If you are a serious beginner, get Card College. I started with Royal Road and the other. Classics and then got Card College. I wished I had done the opposite. The first two books were designed to be a complete course... until Giobbi wrote 3 more books.

Royal Road is a difficult book to learn from as a first book. Card College is much easier. Part of the issue with both books is that you are learning the material, but you are also learning how to learn magic. That is the biggest obstacle to overcome. It is less of an obstacle with Card College.

However, there are a variety of ways to overcome that obstacle. One is the brute force method of reading, rereading, trying and trying again. The other is seeking help from others or worse YouTube (most people teaching on YouTube haven't learned properly themselves). The third is videos. I don have the Wilson or Giobbi videos, but I know good magicians that speak highly of them.

Will it be easier with the books and the videos? Yes. Will it be substantially more expensive? Yes. Will it be the right call for some magicians? Yes. Will it be a waste of money for others? Yes.

My advice is to get Card College 1. Try working through it. If you are having difficulty, then consider getting the videos.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results