The Delicate Art of Shameless Self-Promotion

Sep 1, 2007
A huge part of success is self-promotion. You have to know how to advertise yourself, how to network, and how to build up a reputation that precedes you. This is hard work, make no mistake, but it is essential to success.

What we’re effectively looking at here is marketing your self, or generating hype. Yes, I know I said a nasty four-letter word there, or at least that’s how a few of you reading this will interpret it. Hype is just marketing with glamour, really. Those who complain the most about it are the ones who got burned the worst by it because they weren’t clever or experienced enough to temper their enthusiasm with a touch of realism.

In other words, the people who are against hype are the rubes who fell for it. An unpleasant idea, but it’s a simple truth. We hate that which we perceive to be a threat and want it destroyed.

I understand that hype is still going to have certain negative connotations. So we’ll just call what we’ll be discussing today by a different name: mastering the delicate art of shameless self-promotion.

Let’s start with the first thing you can start working on: you personally.

Lesson 1 – Transform Yourself

We’ve all met braggarts. You know the type. The kind of moron who just has to tell you all about how much money he makes in a year, and how many push-ups he can do (always done when there are attractive young ladies within earshot), and how he used to live in LA, and how many countries he’s been to that you can’t pronounce… Don’t you just want to punch those guys? I mean like really punch them like Edward Norton did to the blonde guy in that one scene in Fight Club?

What’s the problem there? That’s rather shameless self-promotion isn’t it? Well, it’s shameless, I’ll give you that. But bragging isn’t self-promotion. It’s a desperate gamble for attention and validation. We brag because we want to justify our existence.

You can’t persuade people by fact-ing them to death. It just doesn’t work that way.

Humans are visual creatures, and spoken language is actually a highly inefficient means of communicating the complexity of our thoughts and emotions. This is why brevity is the soul of wit.

More to the point, humans respond better to spectacles, symbols, and action than any amount of words. That’s what you have to understand. To be successful, you must be larger than life not by your words, but by the image you inspire.

King Louis XIV, arguably France’s greatest monarch understood this exceptionally well. He said very little to his courtiers, and wrapped everything up in pomp and ritual. He was referred to as the Sun King, a title that had no true meaning, but was interpreted in countless ways by those who heard it. The symbol of the sun held a majesty, beauty, and power that no canned rhetoric could match. The symbol spoke louder than any words.

This is what you must do. You must reinvent your persona to be larger than life. If you read my Who Are You? articles, then you should already know something about becoming the best possible you. Now you need to project that to the rest of the world.

Why is David Blaine considered such a hero to the people of Manhattan? A number of reasons, really, not the least of which is his endurance stunts. He creates the image of a superhero. He’s something bigger than all of us.

Criss Angel understood this and exploited it early on, making himself out to be something superhuman and not quite of our world. But while David Blaine created the presence of a mysterious stranger, Criss was a dynamic and visually shocking spectacle. However, these days he’s started to ignore this principle and the mystique he once surrounded himself with has dissipated. Make no mistake, he still sticks with a distinctive persona, but one may argue that he’s risking over-exposure and is starting to shed elements that helped his rise to fame in the first place.

So how do you make this work for you? Think of the power of the symbol. As a personal illustration, I surround myself in the imagery of wolves. Even my singing voice, my stare, and the way I walk have been described as wolfish and lupine by friends and just random people I’ve met. My nickname on campus for about a year was actually Werewolf. My musical project is called Deus Lupus (translated: Wolf God). I play up the mystique of the wolf as a symbol for everything it’s worth.

How can you make that work? What symbols can you wrap yourself in to create a powerful spectacle?

The important thing is to maintain control of your persona. Many people are content to go through life in the roles that others assign to them. Though I’m a huge fan of heavy metal, I generally dislike hanging out with most metalheads. Why? Because they’re content to conform to the stereotype of being petulant, boorish, misogynists with an anti-mainstream attitude (despite shopping at Hot Topic), and borderline misanthropy. Don’t get me wrong, not all of them are like that, but stereotypes have to come from somewhere, sadly. The metalheads that I do hang out with are open to any music you put in front of them. They love metal, but they don’t let it dominate their lives.

Humans have something called the reticular activating system. This allows us to carry out involuntary reflexes such as breathing and also tune out that which is not immediately important to us such as the feeling of our clothes on our skin. Without it, we would suffer from sensory overload and most likely go insane. This doesn’t just apply to clinical stimuli, though. We tune out and ignore that which is average, mundane, banal, and just that flaming ordinary. Think about it. When you’re walking down the street, how many people do you actually remember the next day? As you’re reading this, did you consciously notice the gentle hum of the cooling fan in your computer?

The reason you have to create these spectacles is to avoid falling victim to the reticular activating system.

People flock to that which breaks the veil of the mundane. Biologists studying elephants have learned that the reason these creatures are almost perpetually moving or performing more complex tasks unlike other grazing animals such as wild cattle is because of their intelligence. Because they’re capable of more complex thought, they face a different kind of problem: boredom. Sentient creatures have to avoid boredom for the sake of their mental health. The lesson to learn here is that by creating a larger than life persona, you give people the chance to push back boredom a little longer.

Erik “Mystery” von Markovik is a modern master of this. He’s the kind of guy all heads turn to when he enters a room. People come to him because he’s something different, unexpected, and dynamic, and they hope to be able to catch some of that by hanging out with him, if even for just a few minutes.

Other examples of the power of symbolism and a dynamic self-image include Alice Cooper, The Misfits, Robert Rodriguez, and Marilyn Monroe.

So now you’ve created a powerful self-image that you project to the rest of the world. Now what?

Sep 1, 2007
Lesson 2 – Be Unpredictable

As I said before, most people shuffle through this world living in roles assigned to them by others. You must be the master of your personality, and to that effect you must show a degree of unpredictability.

Again, let’s look at David Blaine. His initial fame was built on standards of close-up magic. He got a lot of press on this alone because his TV specials were something most people had never seen before. He did an interview on Last Call with Carson Daly. When asked to show the audience something, David didn’t take out the cards or coins. He unbuttoned his shirt and pulled his own heart out of his chest. It was shocking, unexpected, even horrifying. It was unlike anything David had ever done before and it was intensely dramatic. The network threatened not to air the segment. But the effect still worked. David’s fame only increased because no one knew what he would do next, and they waited patiently to see.

Keep in mind that this is a double-edged sword that requires moderation. If you’re too predictable, you become boring again. If you’re too unpredictable and frenetic, you come across as nuts and nobody will take you seriously.

You have to develop a sense of timing. You have to be able to sense when people are beginning to think that they can own you in their minds. When they’re close to pigeonholing you, you stop being interesting. It’s a fine line you walk between being a distinctive person and being a stereotype. And in being unpredictable, the line you walk is between being interesting and mysterious and being a confusing mess.

This may require regular reinvention of your self. Just as the band Rush would undergo stylistic changes every 3 or 4 albums while still maintaining their trademark style, so you as well must expand and evolve.

Understand that not everyone will follow you through this. For people who are content to stay in their assigned roles, change is threatening. And change in others is perhaps even more threatening as it may remind them of their own mediocrity or it could just be pushing them outside of their comfort zones. When the band Nightwish fired their lead singer and hired a new one, the fans split into two factions: those who approached the change with an open mind and judged the new album on its own merits, and those who immediately declared the original line-up to be perfection and ruthlessly savaged the band and the new singer, even going so far as to lie and invent rumors when they had no facts to argue.

All you can do is show disdain to that which will try to drag you down. You cannot allow negativity to infect you, and it will if you let yourself associate with it.

Getting back to the point, think of things you can do every now and again that will shake things up. You don’t have to lie about who you are, but show a facet of yourself that you generally don’t publicize.

Or perhaps your unpredictability lies in the nature of your actions. David Blaine’s endurance stunts are intensely dramatic, and by their very nature people keep their ears to the ground to find out what he’s going to do next. How can he top the last one? People know you’re going to do something amazing, but they can only guess what.

Keeping an air of mystery also means guarding your words, which brings us to the next topic.

Lesson 3 – Less is More

We all hear that a lot, but there is truth to it. The revolutionary artists Marcel DuChamp and Andy Warhol talked very little about their work and were notoriously enigmatic in interviews. As a result, the people who looked at their work talked about it more, spreading the word, and hence their fame increased geometrically.

As a general rule, the more you say, the greater chance you have of saying something stupid. Take it from the voice of experience. The taciturn are people who usually hold more control in a social setting because everyone else talks on and on trying to figure out what it is the silent party wants to hear.

Don’t get me wrong, not everyone can effectively play the strong, silent type a la John Wayne. But everybody can learn when to restrain their speech when it benefits them. Being vague and enigmatic at the right time has the advantage of exciting the imagination and creating anticipation. It’s all about timing.

When Franklin Roosevelt won the presidential election, he turned silent. He didn’t speak to the press and he didn’t meet with Herbert Hoover to discuss the transition of administrations. For two months, the nation was seething with anxiety and borderline desperation. Finally, in his inaugural speech Roosevelt began what was soon called the Hundred Days in which his policies, cabinet appointments, and public appearances came flying out with almost overwhelming speed. Within a matter of months, the change was noticeable, and FDR became the most revered man in the country.

Part of this was in the timing. Roosevelt already knew what he was going to do. He thought long-term all along, but he kept people in suspense in order to keep them from taking him for granted.

Some of you may have a performing persona that relies heavily on being a fast talker, and that’s actually an acceptable exception. Provided of course you know how to use your verbose scripting to draw people in and serve as misdirection.

Get it? Let’s move on. Let’s talk about press.

Lesson 4 – Learn How To Get Hype for Cheap

Yeah, I know, there’s that four letter word again. But just roll with me for a second.

It’s said that there is no such thing as bad press. Yes and no. PT Barnum was known as the King of Humbugs, a sultan of swindling, a duke of deception, a veritable pharaoh of phonies. But he knew how to make that work in his favor. He played it up and turned what should have been savaging condemnations into a badge of honor.

On the flip side, the CEO of Victory Records, Anthony Brummel courts attention and press at every conceivable opportunity, putting his face on advertising packages to be distributed at concerts and record stores and in general doing everything he can to be recognized. Unfortunately, whereas Barnum gathered attention and turned it into gold in the way that Don Rickles turned hecklers into career fuel, Brummel goes after press in the manner of a starving wolf that just spotted a slow, overweight caribou covered in barbecue sauce.

In the delicate art of shameless self-promotion, the press is at once your greatest ally and enemy. You must be able to exercise a modicum of control over what gets said about you, or at least be able to spin it to your advantage.

You and I have a couple of advantages in our favor, though. For one thing, we’re living in the age of information. Creating a stir is easier than ever. And besides that, we’re witnessing the rise of street magic, or as some prefer to call it guerilla magic. Guerilla magic and guerilla marketing have many parallels.

You create a stir by being unexpected and doing something extraordinary. There are numerous books on guerilla marketing, all of which explain the topic better than I could. But there are a few essential elements you must keep in mind.

For one thing, timing is everything. Show up fashionably late and leave early. Always make it seem that you have somewhere better to be. You should, but if you don’t just fake it. If you don’t say anything or at least remain vague, people will assume you have better places and people to see.

For another, hype is all about the mindset. Remember how we talked about reinventing yourself and creating a spectacle? That’s free advertising right there. Have you ever gone to a nightclub and noticed one guy there who everyone seems to flock to? Have you noticed that he’s usually wearing something different like a white blazer or even LED sunglasses? All they had to do was dress distinctively and now all eyes are on them. That’s because they’re living in their world, and everyone else is a guest. They dress according to personal style, they disdain that which they cannot have, and they tolerate no disrespect of their self, time, or property.

As Adam Savage of the Mythbusters says, I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Think about your target audience and what would attract them. Go to places when you will get noticed and do noticeable things. It’s really not as tough as some people make it out to be. It just requires some self-awareness and a little creativity.

The major pitfall is the danger of appearing arrogant and desperate. All this self-advertising must be done with the target market’s self-interest in mind. The simple truth is that most people are pragmatic and will not make a decision to conflict their own self-interest unless rather spectacularly conned.

Remember the story of the Japanese opening trade with the Europeans. Originally, Portugal had a monopoly on trade with the island nation in the 17th century, but their steady stream of proselytizing missionaries got a bur under the saddle of the ruling class. The Dutch eventually arrived and had no interest in social interference. They just wanted trade and profit. Emperor Ieyasu sided with the Dutch almost immediately and kicked out the Portuguese. He simply had no patience for meddling foreigners when their rivals offered everything he wanted with no strings attached.

Never pass up a chance for free advertising, but remember that the purpose isn’t to ring your own bell. It’s to appeal to the interests of potential clients. This is arguably the greatest pitfall in advertising among the inexperienced.

Let’s wrap this up with a final lesson.

Sep 1, 2007
Lesson 5 – Build Your Reputation and Tolerate No Disrespect of It

Reputation is possibly the most powerful self-advertising on the face of the earth. Just the name of David Copperfield or Lance Burton is synonymous with spectacular showmanship. It’s a level you must aspire to, even if on a smaller scale.

Let’s get dead honest for a minute. We judge people by appearances. I know some of you are going to indignantly tell me that you do no such thing, but I know for a fact that you’re lying through your teeth. Humans are visual creatures. We judge, assess, and weigh the world around us first by what we see. And that applies to our own kind.

Appearances can be deceiving, make no mistake. But on an instinctive level that is what we as humans default to in our first impressions. We have no choice in the matter, it just happens because it’s embedded in our DNA.

Now that we’ve gotten delusions of how your brain works out of the way, how does this affect reputation? Simply put, reputation is an appearance that radiates like a lighthouse.

You must start by becoming known for a single, remarkable quality. Perhaps you are exceptionally charming. Maybe your sense of humor is your greatest strength. If you’re a darker sort of performer, you may have a presence about you that does most of the work for you in the show.

Once you have this quality isolated, play it up and find ways to advertise it. You want to build up a degree of fame for your best quality, or even qualities. Keep it simple but intriguing. As we discussed earlier, symbolism plays a big role in it. Stir the imagination, and you will have people coming to you.

Be aware that once you have a reputation, others will attempt to attack it. Blaine and Angel's critics have ruthlessly attacked them, attempting to prove that neither man deserves the success he’s achieved. No one is immune from this.

Defending one’s reputation when attacked is tricky business though. You can’t completely ignore it or it allows the rumor mill to circulate. And you can’t appear defensive or people will think that you’re attacking someone for hitting a nerve. You have to present yourself as far more composed and dignified in your defense then the person attacking you is in their offense. When FDR’s opponents tried to slander him by talking about how he lavished attention on his dog, making it seem as if he didn’t care about the people of America, he responded by asking, “What kind of spiteful man attacks a defenseless little dog?” The attack backfired completely, and the men trying to slander Roosevelt were made out by the public to be vindictive cowards and representatives of everything wrong with the political system.

If you become successful, you’re going to see this a lot. I know guys in the PUA community who have learned this tactic of defending one’s reputation well because whenever they go out clubbing, they’re always the best-dressed, most well-connected guys, and since they’re socially stand-up people anyway, they’re the ones people want to be around. They’re the life of the party by their very nature. But there are always a few people who try to cut them down because they don’t have this kind of social power or charisma themselves. If they can’t physically threaten them, they instead try to savage their reputations and spread rumors about them. It’s a cheap shot, but it works… unless you’re like these PUAs and know how to counter it.

In the delicate art of shameless self-promotion, you have to be larger than life and never lower yourself to the level of a negative influence in your defense.

So concludes another write-up. I leave you with this thought from one of my favorite hip-hop artists.

“You can’t achieve your goals if you don’t take that chance
So pry open that truck and get those amps!”
Atmosphere - Trying to Find a Balance

Wowey :). I read through about half of that and have to print the rest and give a more detailed response tomorrow. As for now, all I can relate this to is a "Job Interview". When giving an interview, you have to sell yourself. You have to promote yourself and make your possible future employer WANT to hire you. For self promotion, you have to make the people watching/listening to you want to see more of you, etc.

Mitch

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Steerpike,

Well done. You did it again. Bravo. When is your book of essays coming out?

By the way, what is a Steerpike????

keep em coming
Flyspazz

Nov 23, 2007
NC
In that case in fits you well :) I've got that trilogy on my do to list if I can ever find the time. I dont see it happening in the near future but someday.

Flyspazz

Sep 1, 2007
I have no problem with it.

Naturally, I do want my name on there. Otherwise it's not shameless self-promotion.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results