The Duck Change

Aug 31, 2007
i was watching the collecters(i think), on the trilogy and wen they BRIEFLY explainthe duck change. i still cant get it, dont even understand the method>
pleez help!!!!

thnx

Aug 31, 2007
This that the one where you hold the short ends of the card between your finger and thumb? And if it is, what is the change called where you hold the long side of the card between your finger and thumb?

Cheers, Tom

I'm pretty sure that's a "Drop Change"

Oct 18, 2007
Well, the card in your hand should be at a 45 degree angle before you let go so it'll land properly on top of the deck.

I've noticed in a lot of performance videos the card bends towards the index finger instead of away, which totally confuses me because you're supposed to be launching the card towards the deck, hahah. Oh well. I can only do it really close to the deck but I"m practicing.

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
you do launch it toward the deck, the cards bow in towards your hand (or index finger) to shoot off the middle finger at the front end of the card, so you're shooting it (or springing it) off your middle finger, not out of both fingers at once like you would if you were boeing it away from the hand.

:-D

It helps me sometimes to bend the cards upward before I do the change. I tend to use alot of pressure so thats my way for coping with it.

Just experiment with different amounts of pressure.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I worked at this for almost 24 horus straight, and I'm finally getting the hang of it.
It helps if you put a significant bend in the card before releasing it.

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
Just experiment with different angles of each hand. As well as the relative position of your right hand holding the card to be changed to the left hand holding the deck. Just try different things until you figure out what works for you.

I believe its actually called "The dark change" by Hiro Saki. I learned this from Oliver Macias Control freak DVD about a year or so ago.

I'm not going to go into methods here as thats sort of exposure.

I'll go back through my trilogy set and see if he says duck or dark. Its the same move regardless.

Tim

Yep! I just checked it out myself and he does indeed say "Duck".
I stand corrected on that point.
But I swear to you that this is the exact same move I learned from Oliver's DVD. And he called it the "Dark" change. Well not he..Its inventor.
Of course...Oliver speaks French and the whole DVD is overdubbed in English.

Right thumb on lower right corner of the card /cards.
Middle right finger on upper right corner and both the right thumb and middle
finger are holding the cards buy just the very tips. Like the cards could slip off at any second. Apply a very light pinching pressure to the cards with your thumb and middle finger so that the cards bow upward slightly. When the cards are bowed, apply a light pressure with the forefinger to the back of the cards and the cards slip off the finger tips.

Just keep practicing and you will get it. It took me a good couple months of practice before I was completely confident that I could hit it every time. Now its like second nature and its a jaw dropping color change.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
There miiiight have been some exposure in the post. Just saying, but maybe edit out the last sentence or so?
But yes, that is the Duck Change, also known as the Superflip, and my personal favorite change.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results