The Inversion Theory :: Cover

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread on this, but I couldn't find any other suitable place to put it. As you can see in my sig, I'm working on a pdf with a few other unnamed artists called the Inversion Theory.

More info on that later, but for now, I want to get your opinion on the work-in-progress cover.

2cn9o37.jpg

Thanks,

David

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Well that picture looks really cool, but I find that a lot of it is blank, I'm not a designer or anything so I don't if it's a bad thing or maybe it's a good thing, but just wanted to poin that out. Reversals huh? Well we'll see what you can do with this very old plot which I can't think of a way to push forward, you probably did.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I believe it is a collection of David's personal creations.

So, it's essentially a brand new take on the inversion concept.

Correct me if I'm wrong David......by the way it looks pretty sick.

-RA69

RA pretty much summed it up. It has a few ideas that were either contributed by either people, or I stole.... cough cough. Did I say something?

Just kidding. It's made up of 3 of my own effects, with both original ideas, variations, and ideas contributed.

I'll post up more of the details when production gets farther.

David

EDIT: This was already posted in another thread, so I'll just paste it in here.

The effect list is as follows:

Minority: Using a sleight that I have been developing for the past 2 years, I created a reversal routine. Basically, you outjog a chosen card, push it in, and it is reversed. Pretty simple.

About Face: The description is basically the same as Minority's. The only difference is that the card is not outjogged, but rather lost in the deck.

Don't Blink: This is the newest effect in the pdf, but it is also the most unique. A chosen card is outjogged facedown in a facedown deck, and visually it reverses, still outjogged. I've been playing with the handling of this one ever since I started the project, so I have yet to settle on one presentation.

That's basically all that is on the pdf. I'm trying to steer myself away from the urge to put "bonuses" on the pdf, but you never know...

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
yea i agree with that there is a little bit to much blank space but i love it otherwise great work! mabey you should write something else in that top corner in black letters?

Aug 31, 2007
About Face is the name of one of Jay Sankey's tricks. I hope you will try not to have repeated names.

Anyway, why Wynns on the cover?

- harapan. magic!

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
About Face is the name of one of Jay Sankey's tricks. I hope you will try not to have repeated names.

Anyway, why Wynns on the cover?

- harapan. magic!

Nope, I had no idea that Jay had the same name. I assure you I had no intention.

About the Wynns, I like to use them, and they look good on camera.

David

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Looks pretty hot. Since there's a lot of free space at the top, maybe you could write "The Inversion Theory" really big at the top left with your name under it. Then change the opacity of the words on the card. Here's an example: I don't have the font you used and I don't have a scan of a wynn back so I had to work with what you already had...

My 5 minute job on Photoshop:
256bxh3.jpg

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Looks pretty hot. Since there's a lot of free space at the top, maybe you could write "The Inversion Theory" really big at the top left with your name under it. Then change the opacity of the words on the card. Here's an example: I don't have the font you used and I don't have a scan of a wynn back so I had to work with what you already had...

My 5 minute job on Photoshop:
256bxh3.jpg

Interesting Shanku. I'll try your idea.

David

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Update

Because of similarities in the name of About Face to another effect, the name has been changed to The Flip Side.

Also, RebelAce has been kind enough to donate one of his ideas, which I call Wrong Turn. It is a brilliant utility move that lets you reverse a card in the middle of the deck. The deck can be spread at any time during the effect, right up to the moment you reveal the reversal.

Here's the full effect description:

A random card is chosen and lost in the deck. With a look of victory on his face, the magician slowly turns over the top card, revealing it be... wrong. The audience laughs, and the magician gets a look of puzzlement on his face. "Obviously," he/ she says, "there must have been something keeping the card from jumping to the top." The deck is spread to reveal that there was indeed a problem: the card is reversed in the middle of the deck.

David

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
hey David,

I see you kinda liked the little splatter ideas...if you want I can email you the brushes for Photoshop so you don't hav to just copy and paste the same one.

-Brad

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
right, this will probably annoy you, but less is more...

keep the orignal, add the 4 effects thing and the title, and lose the splatters

oh and also, you see the splatter on the bottom left of BB'S thing, stick that on in the same place, his has a bit too much going on, but that one splatter in the corner (and maybe the top right corner) would look nice...

but defo lose those little splatters, but overall i like the wynn in corner look... :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results