The latest new "big thing" vs older material?

Dec 5, 2007
Hello everyone!

I have had a problem for awhile, and my problem is that i always get sucked into the hype of new effects and always waited for the new "big" thing that is going to be released insted of working on older material that i already have.

so my new years resolution was to stop buy new effects for a long time.

And i started to think about it, why is it so that almost everyone are just waiting for the new effects to be released insted of looking back on older material?

An exampel is Banachek and richard osterlind, they almost have every effect from their proffesional show and they are in my opinion the best mentalists alive but i dont hear much about it, mostly from younger magicians. So insted of buying a coin bend from Banachek who have been doing metal bending for 30 years + everyone is waiting for the new garcia coin bend. So is New material better then older material?

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Hello everyone!

I have had a problem for awhile, and my problem is that i always get sucked into the hype of new effects and always waited for the new "big" thing that is going to be released insted of working on older material that i already have.

so my new years resolution was to stop buy new effects for a long time.

And i started to think about it, why is it so that almost everyone are just waiting for the new effects to be released insted of looking back on older material?

An exampel is Banachek and richard osterlind, they almost have every effect from their proffesional show and they are in my opinion the best mentalists alive but i dont hear much about it, mostly from younger magicians. So insted of buying a coin bend from Banachek who have been doing metal bending for 30 years + everyone is waiting for the new garcia coin bend. So is New material better then older material?

I wouldn't say one is better than the other. There are some incredible effects released recently and due to be released. There are also some incredible effects that are never done or talked about that are found in hard to find books, manuscripts, notes, or *gasp* VHS tapes.

I would say you should just be more thorough in checking out what you are buying before you spend your money. If you are really interested in something put it into your basket or just write it down to revisit it later. Wait about a week and then decide if you still want to spend your money on that item or effect.

The answer really isn't to stop buying anything but instead look at what you already have, revisit material you may have overlooked or just skipped altogether. The problem I see many people having is that they look at something for five minutes after getting it and make a snap decision on whether or not they like it without really working with the effect, or at the very least practicing it. Some things are just garbage I will grant you that but I think people give up too easily on an effect that might have taken years to perfect and make it workable in the real world. Or people are just looking for that instant gratification in effects that might have taken the creator months or years to master perfectly. Either way its not always the fault of the creator that something doesn't suit your style or people don't want to put the work in to learn something properly.

--Jim

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
never underestimate the oldies. They're the forgotten ones and usually the good ones. A lot of times, i've seen, the "new trick" is readily known so while it's easy to show to people, sometimes, people have heard about it or know about it.. SOMETIMES. The old tricks, pre-T11/E, are relatively unknown to the new crowd.

Sep 1, 2007
So insted of buying a coin bend from Banachek who have been doing metal bending for 30 years + everyone is waiting for the new garcia coin bend. So is New material better then older material?

This is probably because it's an improved version of Banachek's method. Many new products are simply improved handling of older products. People want to perform a trick to its full potential, and new handlings can help improve tricks. As for completely new effects, people just get caught up in the hype. Rarely is there a totally original effect that beats the classics, but there are improvements of those classics.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other. There are some incredible effects released recently and due to be released. There are also some incredible effects that are never done or talked about that are found in hard to find books, manuscripts, notes, or *gasp* VHS tapes.

I would say you should just be more thorough in checking out what you are buying before you spend your money. If you are really interested in something put it into your basket or just write it down to revisit it later. Wait about a week and then decide if you still want to spend your money on that item or effect.

The answer really isn't to stop buying anything but instead look at what you already have, revisit material you may have overlooked or just skipped altogether. The problem I see many people having is that they look at something for five minutes after getting it and make a snap decision on whether or not they like it without really working with the effect, or at the very least practicing it. Some things are just garbage I will grant you that but I think people give up too easily on an effect that might have taken years to perfect and make it workable in the real world. Or people are just looking for that instant gratification in effects that might have taken the creator months or years to master perfectly. Either way its not always the fault of the creator that something doesn't suit your style or people don't want to put the work in to learn something properly.

--Jim

I agree they have Review sections on just about every magic website. I would utilize those forums for further information before buying. Sometimes you have to use a little patience to discover the better deal. Hope this helps.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
you can't answer that, this effect is better than the old version, but that one might be worst. That's why investigate what you are buying.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
One person mentioned VHS tapes, I have found a gold mine of amazing effects from buying Greater Magic Video Library VHS tapes that have not put on DVD.

One good thing about older material is that it is more likely all method, which gives you easiewr oppurtunity to insert your presentation and be creative with it.

Jan 5, 2008
Stick with the old and block out new ideas. Its like this, if A still works don't get B. You still get the same great effect.

[EDIT by moderator: Please keep all discussion appropriate and abiding by the forum rules to ensure a professional, respectful, family friendly atmosphere -- Thanks, JTM ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results