The more relevant the effect is to your audience..

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
"The more relevant the effect is to your audience's lives, the less the audience is concerned with the method."

Bob Neale

Here's another quote from Scripting Magic that I just read 5 minutes ago and wanted to share.

I would definitely agree with this and so it once again proves that scripting your magic and getting on the friendly side of your spectators will play in your favor. Make the routine / effect meaningful to them. Whether it has an emotional hook or some other way of tying into their lives.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I tend to call it "personalizing" or making your presentation "personable" in that said rapport is the single most important key to what it is we do; it enhances nearly every facet of a bit, the misdirection becomes easier and the delivery becomes that much stronger, simply because you allow them to RELATE TO the presentation line/story.

A lot of the stuff I do with Seance & Ghost Hunt involves one of two chief themes; children in peril, lovers separated by death. There are other elements I add to these foundations but it's the foundation that's important here in that most everyone on the planet gets a bit more involved when a child is missing, in danger, etc. our maternal & paternal instincts kick in causing us to personalize the tragedy of loosing our own child or reflecting on someone in our life that has been in such a situation -- the harp strings get seriously plucked! Save when it comes to the love lorn; that widowed gal whose beau was lost in the war or, as with my newest program, that couple that met in grade school and were inseparable for more than 5 decades in life and then by physical death alone. . . only to return.

I touch upon this in another way in several different bits that I've penned; how exploiting local history & legend as well as personalities, locations, etc. add to the psychological connection of show patrons. I tend to go rather deep when it comes to this action, deliberately stitching bits of trivia into my script that can be "stumbled upon" by anyone during a casual surf session on line; I absolutely love referring to factual articles and studies because of how Mentalism (in my case) requires that sense of believability and/or plausibility. I might have a hard-nosed skeptic in front of me during the show but more than once I've had them become huge fans as the result of finding (happening upon) material that cosigned the very information I presented in a show. This is especially so when you cite clinical & scholarly works (authoritative/credible sources); I believe Paul Brook points this out in his book ALCHEMICAL TOOLS.

Great topic, hope to see it grow.

Mar 10, 2011
An excellent quote, Rick. I find this to be very accurate with many laymen, especially those of the more esoteric persuasion. What I mean is that the more involved you become with applicable or comprehensible experiences, a few things more easily occur:
1) A more relaxed atmosphere.
2) Obtaining positive reactions.
3) Forgiving spectators.

When it comes to the esoteric demographic in our audiences, it can be very beneficial to "zero in" not only on those spectators, but their experiences as well. For example, David Copperfield performs an effect in which he discusses his first encounter with snow and the wonder he experienced at that moment. Now, weather this is true or not doesn't matter. What matters is how humans relate, become egotistical about the effect, and thus become more invested in what is currently taking place (in that order). As you may have guessed, this yields more invested and stronger reaction. While we are on this note, I will also mention David's tireless preparation to achieve the most efficient reaction possible.

But enough about Mr. Copperfield. In short, yes, this statement is correct and I personally suggest that we all take a look at our performances and evaluate weather or not we are making that connection at some level.

Sep 3, 2007
I was also very impressed with the quote. Especially, for laymen. What I mean is that quote was pretty descriptive. It was talking about how to get the audience involved.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I don't care how good you are, a sponge ball routine needs an extra something to amaze me. The only way you will get me to walk up to you, shake your hand, and say that I was impressed after a sponge ball routine is if you can draw me into it. There has to be a story or some emotional catch. The same goes for any other trick.

Think of Teller's "Shadows" trick. This trick brings, in typical Teller style, many "grownup" feelings into the room. Everyone can relate to the "Love/Hate," "Life/Death," or "Darkness/Light" themes. Teller does this trick beautifully, but when it comes down to it the best part of it is the poetic feel that comes from the human attachments we find in the unspoken themes. Without that, the trick is lame.

[video=youtube;un1pNtmYguA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un1pNtmYguA[/video]

Thoughts?

L

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results