The proper pathways to a good cardistry future

May 17, 2013
annapolis maryland
if you have good ideas then let it be heard. what are the proper directions to go in if I and many others want to elevate this art form to the next level

also some pointers, tips and tricks to help make your flourishes that much better

Sep 1, 2007
elevate this art form to the next level

That's pretty vague, dude. Let's qualify that statement a bit. How do you intend to elevate it? Are you talking about mechanical innovation? Advancing performance theory? Increasing visibility? Going professional? Let's settle on that. The first thing to do is take "anything" and boil it down to "something."

Sep 1, 2007
There's a million different ways to do that, guy. I'm not really sure where to start. I suppose I'd recommend a copy of Robert Greene's "Mastery." It's quite easily the best book he's ever written and bereft of his usual clinical, amoral manifesto writing style.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't flourish anymore. I'm a mentalist. I'm here to add a bit of knowledge of performance theory and business, both of which are in short supply on this particular sub-forum. That probably sounds kind of douchey, but most of you guys are not out there performing.

Sep 1, 2007
I worked them into street magic act from about 2007 to 2010, but my style just got more and more minimalist and I really didn't have much of a reason to do them anymore. On top of that, I have a handicap. I'm 90% left-handed. I literally cannot move the last two fingers of my right hand independently of one another. The muscles just never developed enough. There's slim chance I'll ever be able to the knucklebusters, so I just instead focused on being a more interesting person on stage.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Stopping in for a little bit - hi everyone!

I've been flourishing since the early 2000's, and am predominantly a flourish artist when it comes to dexterous performance arts (I do magic, and enjoy the hell out of it, but flourishing will always call me back.)

Further, my professional background is in business development, marketing, and PR. I run 3 successful businesses, one of which is an actual marketing firm. Given this, flourishing has unfortunately been relegated to more of a "hobby" as of late, but I'll be getting back into it more dedicatedly soon.

That all said, I'd love to help you out - but I need to understand exactly what it is that you're trying to accomplish. What are your goals for flourishing, what are you trying to accomplish?

My first and primary bits of advice:

1. 1. Practice with purpose and dedication. Focus on improving every necessary move and skill until you cannot mess up.
  2. 2. Become a well-rounded individual. Explore and educate yourself on the Humanities, read about and study business, marketing, etc. This will all provide you with a more well-informed point of view and knowledge that you can apply in any area of life.

For anything more specific, post up and ask. I'll provide what ever advice I can.

Also - good luck!

Best,
Vince

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results