The Self Tying Shoelace

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
The Self Tying Shoelace

The Official Spam-

From the Penguin Magic Creative Studio and Jay Noblezada comes a street magic effect that breaks the ice!

Walk down a busy street with your shoe untied. Complete strangers will INTERRUPT you to tell you your shoe is untied EVERY FEW SECONDS.

You didn't ask for the attention. It just happened... But being born to perform is being ready when the spotlight finds you.

So you smile, make eye contact with your spectators, and give your foot a little shake. Your shoelaces start to snap back and forth, criss-crossing...

If you could move your foot in just the right way you might actually be able to tie your shoelaces without even touching them...

You give your foot another little shake and this time you get it just right.

To the astonishment of your spectators, YOUR SHOELACES visually TIE THEMSELVES!

The best part is, it's a REAL knot and bow! Your spectators can inspect till their hearts are content!

The DVD-

The Layout-

I really liked the layout of the DVD. It was broken up into five different sections on the menu for easy access.

The Quality-

The quality of this DVD was very good. It was all shot in the Penguin Studios (or at least I assume it was), and it had great picture and sound.

The Music-

I actually liked the music on this DVD. I'm pretty sure it was Tranceden (the artist that make the music from all the demos), so we have probably all heard the song before... but I liked it. It's very upbeat and happy.

The Menu-

Performance-

This starts out with a cute little kid on a bench tying his shoes, and then goes on to show the STS performed for the little kid, and, of course, the people in the demo video here on Penguin.

Intro/Instructions-

This, obviously, introduces you to Jay and the gimmick, shows you how to set up the gimmick, and, of course, the basics of performing the effect. Jay is an awesome teacher as far as I'm concerned, and goes very in depth.

Special Tips-

In this section, Jay goes over some great tips that a lot of people will definitely use... including an alternate method of setting up the effect.

Credits-

Pretty boring. These are just like a lot of movie credits, except with better music than most.

Penguin Magic-

These are demo videos of: Balloon School, Contact with Tyas Frantz, The Egg Bag by Gazzo, Two Dollar Window, Heckler by Brian Tudor, The Hip-Pocket-Sized Mullica, Penguin Cups, The Penguin Monte, Reparation, Slydini Silks, Spun, The Closer, Watch Magic, Greed, On the Spot, Seance with Dixie Dooley, Card Stunts, Born to Perform Card Magic, Liquid Metal, Pyrotechnic Pasteboards, Encyclopedia of TT Magic, Escapology, Table Hopping Cups and Balls, Generation Extreme, Paul Green's In the Trenches, and Ring Leader.

N-

This is basically a montage of Jay, showing him messing around with the gimmick (you'll know what I mean if you have it), and him performing the effect numerous times.

The Booklet-

How in the World?-

This section tells how people told Jay that an effect like this wouldn't work, what the gimmick is, and to take your time in setting up and learning how to do the effect.

Let's Take a Look at the Equipment-

This section tells you what the gimmick consists of, and how each piece works.

Set Up-

This tells you step by step how to setup the gimmick.

Performance-

This tells you what to do to be able to perform this effect.

Reset-

This is a section containing 8 words that refer you back to step three of the setup for reset.

Special Tips-

These are the same ones Jay goes over in the video, but just on paper. Very helpful.

Special Thanks-

This section lists people that helped in this effect... including his brother who taught him how to tie his shoes.

The Effect-

This is definitely one of my favorite effects... I wear the gimmick every day (well, when I wear shoes with laces). It blows people's minds, and can fit in with your PK routine.

The Gimmick-

When I first looked at the gimmick, I said "What the heck?". At first I thought it would never work, but I quickly realized the ingenuity of the effect. The gimmick should last you a lifetime, unless you throw it around your room or something stupid like that. There is also a great post on constructing your own gimmick in the PO Forums... which only costs around $10... at the most.

Impromptu-

Obviously, this effect is not completely impromptu. You must be wearing shoes with laces, and the gimmick. But, other than that, you can do it anytime you want. Very Happy

Pros-

-Nobody will ever figure it out.

-Spectators can immediately reach down and inspect the knot, laces, and shoe if they would like.

-The gimmick will last you a long, long, long time if you treat it properly.

Cons-

-Some people's gimmicks make noise... although I personally have never had this problem.

-The reset cannot be done in front of your spectators

-Reset can be a pin in a crowded place such as school.

My Thoughts-

I think this effects is awesome, and I perform it every chance I get. I, like a lot of other people, have problems with people actually calling me out on my shoelaces being untied... after school. I think school is a great place to perform this effect, as many people will call you out. This really is an "ice breaker"... meaning that if people do call you out, and you perform the trick, chances are they will ask you to do some more magic for them. So... great effect! Good job Jay!

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I like it, as well, but it's just revealed so much, I don't really want to perform it at school, because I know at least one person will rush to their computer as soon as they get home and look up the secret. Great trick... jus too popular.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
It's definitely a good effect, but like I said before, it's too popular. There is also a downside to performing this when it's hot outside... owners will know what I mean. I recently had someone come up to me and say, "Hey, you're the guy that can tie his shoes without touching them!" It was pretty cool. I also had a girl come up to me and say, "Hey Drew." I hadn't met her before, but then she goes, "You're the one that does the awesome magic, right?" That was also pretty cool. Anyway, enough with my stories, and back on topic.

Sep 9, 2007
Finalnd
I also got the STS. The gimmick is good but its a pretty cheap gimmick ( those who have it understan what I mean) so the price coukd be little lower, I know it's not expensive but still I think that it could be a little cheaper.

The STS is a great opener or an ''accident trick'' I recommed this to every magican who wants something special, I would give 8.5/10

Thank you

Sep 3, 2007
Well, I think the biggest con of all is that, type that into youtube, and you get a hundred explainations.
I performed this infront of a thousand people, and at the time, people were freaking out, and the rest of the day I couldnt get them off me, but then after a few days, everyone seemed to know how I did it.
People would ask me to do it again, and I simply wouldn't as I knew they knew.

My final thoughts would be... Do it to people you wont see again... like complete strangers on the street.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
For those of you who are saying the gimmick is a little cheap for what you get... you aren't paying for the gimmick perse', but rather paying for the explanation, performance tips, etc. that are on the DVD.

I personally don't have Animated Shoelaces, but I heard that involves putting fishing line all over your body, and it's not an actual knot at the end.

As for variations of the STS, I'm nor sure if you mean method or effect, but I'll try to cover both. The one that comes to mind first is Color Changing Shoelaces, in which your shoelaces visually change colors (I do not own this), and I'm pretty sure you can buy it on Penguin, but I think it's upwards of $70. For a method, there is an alternate method in the PO Forums on Penguin that's ok, but I've never used it before.

Jun 22, 2009
I made some extra gimmicks 2 for $10 and have different laces.... man I hit this thread mad days old.... lol

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I made some extra gimmicks 2 for $10 and have different laces.... man I hit this thread mad days old.... lol

Yes, at the P.O. Forum over at Penguin, there are a few tutorials to make your own gimmicks that are pretty helpful if you're tight on money.

Jun 22, 2009
Yes, at the P.O. Forum over at Penguin, there are a few tutorials to make your own gimmicks that are pretty helpful if you're tight on money.

I think I have seen you around PM forum before. Your avatar looks familiar...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results