The Selling of S.W. Erdnase Expert at Card Table

Dec 22, 2009
Hong Kong
so i recently really wanted to go and study books, so i choose the expert on card table first.
then i went on DnD website and found out the shipping cost was like $8 dollars .
then i read the description box below and said (learn more about erdnase) which lead to a website called erdnase.com and the shipping cost was about like $2 dollars .
so i was wondering should i buy it from DnD or from the website.
or like how long will it take to ship? and is there some other place to buy the book.

oliver

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
so i recently really wanted to go and study books, so i choose the expert on card table first.
then i went on DnD website and found out the shipping cost was like $8 dollars .
then i read the description box below and said (learn more about erdnase) which lead to a website called erdnase.com and the shipping cost was about like $2 dollars .
so i was wondering should i buy it from DnD or from the website.
or like how long will it take to ship? and is there some other place to buy the book.

oliver

Don't get Erdnase as your first book. It is very convoluted and difficult to learn from for a beginner. I reccomend getting Hugard and Braue's Royal Road to Card Magic and then Hugard and Braue's Expert Card Technique.

Regardless of which book you get, check out MJM Magic (mjmmagic.com). They have good prices and free shipping if your order is more than $15. Also, check out lybrary.com. Since you are just buying the download the prices are less expensive than a book and there is no shippipng.

If you are serious about cards, think about getting the Card College Series. The teaching is much better (and more updated) than Hugard and Braue or Erdnase. Even if you only get one book at a time, it is worth the investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Joseph C

Genii posted a legal copy of the book in pdf format. Enjoy!

http://geniimagazine.com/erdnase/

As for not starting with it, it was Dai Vernon's first book when he was a beginner. You can always re-read it as you progress and get more out of it.

EDIT: FWIW, I own the Dover edition, but I think it's good to have access to it from anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2008
HAHAHA - Hey David, tell me this is unethical!? haha - OMG - this is classic and perfect is so many ways.

Good suggestions though David.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
HAHAHA - Hey David, tell me this is unethical!? haha - OMG - this is classic and perfect is so many ways.

Good suggestions though David.

Perfectly legal and ethical in my book (no pun intended). Just like checking out Mark Wilson's Complete Course from your local library.

As a note, the copyright expired on Erdnase. Anyone who wants to could legally print the book and sell the book.

Dec 19, 2009
Yep, the original Erdnase is public domain and long out of copyright. What publishers and card handlers will do is add their own work to it (interpretations, notations, thoughts, etc.) and print that as a new edition under full copyright (due to the added info).

You're lawfully allowed to create your own PDF file of the original Erdnase and sell it on your own website for as much as you think people will give you for it. Or, like many other sites, give it away for free. As long as you created the PDF, that is, and it's just the original work.

There are quite a few different annotated versions out there, and if you're looking at buying one of them, I'd really suggest doing some research on each one, as interpretations differ as does the value of the insights offered. If you just want plain Erdnase, I'd suggest getting the pocket one. It's the size of a deck of cards and bound in a black leather(ette?) cover. It looks like you're reading a pocket bible. lol

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
It's always nice to have a hardcopy. I'd buy whatever's cheapest. A few days won't kill. It's never too early to start reading Erdnase, even if it's not the most beginner friendly book, though.

Dec 18, 2009
two things. Expert is very difficult to learn from as a first book. There are very few pictures and they are hand drawn. Secondly If you still really want it can be found for free in ebook form legally. I'll post the link if you want it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results