This is my College Essay on Magic & Art...

Sep 1, 2007
Since there's no Cerca Trova yet, here's this:

What is the role of art, specifically magic, in society. How does magic work in society?

Ben Long

Illusions of Society​

Art defines what is real in society even when that art is a lie, an illusion. What art does for those who experience it, is something primitive; it captures and cultivates astonishment. Illusions twist the concrete and open windows of potential. A powerful enough illusion can shatter monotony and create new experiences.

The art of illusion, or magic, is the art of astonishment. The basis of magic is to astound spectators and force them to think twice about everything they know to be real—matter cannot be created or destroyed and yet is done so before their very eyes—making magic a viable art form. Just as an actor can create emotions in an audience, so too can a magician. Magician David Blaine describes the power of illusion in his book Mysterious Stranger. He says, “magic strips away logic, it confronts fears, and brings us to a place of constant wonder and enchantment” (Blaine 7).

Paul Harris, one of the most respected magicians in the world, elaborates on the idea in his book, The Art of Astonishment. Harris says, “Astonishment is not an emotion that’s created. It’s an existing state that’s revealed…In a nutshell: You’re using magical illusions to dissolve cultural illusions in order to experience a moment of something real. The art of astonishment, when pushed into the wildest edges of edges, is the art of doing real magic” (Harris, 6-7). Harris is getting at something that transcends the art of illusion and is true of other art forms as well. Artists aren’t necessarily using art to express themselves, or to surpass reality, but rather to show the truth. The human response when confronted by art is that of wonder that what they are seeing or hearing or reading is real.

In my experience, nothing is more vivid than one of Ezra Pound’s two-line poems. It goes:

“In a Station of the Metro”
The apparition of these faces in the crowd:
Petals on a wet, black bough.

These two lines of text create something visceral and powerful inside of me that was present, but not evident. That is the power of art. I can also recall my early experiences with magic. I remember being in an airport when a magician took an ordinary playing card and tore it into pieces. He put the pieces in my hand and waved his hands and the card was restored in my own fingers. That moment of magic was real. For that moment, I felt removed from of the artificial, material world. This simple miracle that the magician created in my hands made me feel the same way I feel when I read Ezra Pound’s poetry. Magic and poetry achieve the same end. Both create something that is unreal—something intangible. Yet, both are real in that what they create is real to their respective audiences. Just as Marcel Duchamp’s “Ceci n’est pas une pipe” boldly proclaims “this is not a pipe,” does the audience recognize it as something real—a picture of a pipe. So too do magic and poetry create lies that are accepted to be real.

The world needs art. Society, especially American society, has become artificial in what it wants and what it appreciates. For example, romance novels are written to give instant gratification and to make fast money. Popular music is filled with cookie-cutter copies of the last popular song, with each new “artist” attempting to emulate another “artist.” Even people are making themselves artificial, both physically, and in how they act towards one another. So, what if art is all that’s real? Art can be a reality check. It objectifies reality by stripping away preconceptions of society. Art is the window that looks out from the shelter of society into the real world.

P.S. Don't plagerize this; I worked my ass off on it...

Reactions: yourmagicalbrother
Although I don't think it's a necessarily good idea to be giving out your college essay online, it was a really good read!

I'll put up my opinions on this matter in the morning. Just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed it.

Sep 1, 2007
I did originally mean it to be a post for these forums, but it fit the criteria for an essay topic, so I made it both.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I like the parallel to begin with, art and magic. Bringing in quotes from magicians and then displaying a poem that means something to you and tying it all together with words like 'art' and 'astonishment' was intriguing as well.

in short...
I liked it.

Sep 1, 2007
I thought it was quite good and really showed how you feel about magic. Just some criticism. Try not to use "you" or "I" when writing a paper/essay like this. It takes away from the effectiveness of the essay.

Mitchell

Yeah (chuckles to self), I know about the whole personal pronouns thing, but my English teacher told me to include a personal example...jeez, you should've seen the first draft (this being something like 4th); I wrote it like a dissertation. It was pretty technical and I also made the fatal mistake of...dare I say it...trying to define art. That one's a huge no no.

Thanks so much for your feedback, though. I'm gonna do one last edit of it before I ship it off. I'm glad you liked it.

Yeah (chuckles to self), I know about the whole personal pronouns thing, but my English teacher told me to include a personal example...jeez, you should've seen the first draft (this being something like 4th); I wrote it like a dissertation. It was pretty technical and I also made the fatal mistake of...dare I say it...trying to define art. That one's a huge no no.

Thanks so much for your feedback, though. I'm gonna do one last edit of it before I ship it off. I'm glad you liked it.
No problem, it's just that now I'm in College, and every essay I write the guidelines state "don't use 'you' or 'I'".

Good luck with your essay!

:)

Mitchell

Nov 17, 2007
Great Job. It was very enjoyable. You stated your definitions and stated your own views and opinions while backing them up with appropriate citations. There is nothing wrong with using "I", "You" or "Myself" in a college essay as long as the views are yours and you can back them up with creditable sources. The only criticism I would have for you is I couldn't find your thesis and if you answered it by the end of the essay. I was looking for an argument that you were trying to answer for the reader. I guess it may have been as to if there was a need for magic in todays society. If this was the case I would take a stronger approach to making the reader feel that magic was an absolute necessity in todays society to get away from loss of creativity we are experiencing in todays world.....
sorry i just realized i was ranting on ..... Great essay .... I'd give you an A.

Nov 8, 2007
There's some good stuff in there. As an English teacher/grad student in English I hope you don't mind if I throw out two suggestions.

...He says, “magic strips away logic, it confronts fears, and brings us to a place of constant wonder and enchantment” (Blaine 7).
You need to follow up the quote with a point. Ending a paragraph on a quote is a no-no. Bring it together.

Art is the window that looks out from the shelter of society into the real world.
The metaphor is a bit convoluted. Strive for clarity in your writing.

I think overall it's a good essay. You just need to polish it up a bit. Feel free to PM me if you want some help on finding the rough spots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
Since there's no Cerca Trova yet, here's this:

What is the role of art, specifically magic, in society. How does magic work in society?

Ben Long

Illusions of Society​

Art defines what is real in society even when that art is a lie, an illusion. What art does for those who experience it, is something primitive; it captures and cultivates astonishment. Illusions twist the concrete and open windows of potential. A powerful enough illusion can shatter monotony and create new experiences.

The art of illusion, or magic, is the art of astonishment. The basis of magic is to astound spectators and force them to think twice about everything they know to be real—matter cannot be created or destroyed and yet is done so before their very eyes—making magic a viable art form. Just as an actor can create emotions in an audience, so too can a magician. Magician David Blaine describes the power of illusion in his book Mysterious Stranger. He says, “magic strips away logic, it confronts fears, and brings us to a place of constant wonder and enchantment” (Blaine 7).

Paul Harris, one of the most respected magicians in the world, elaborates on the idea in his book, The Art of Astonishment. Harris says, “Astonishment is not an emotion that’s created. It’s an existing state that’s revealed…In a nutshell: You’re using magical illusions to dissolve cultural illusions in order to experience a moment of something real. The art of astonishment, when pushed into the wildest edges of edges, is the art of doing real magic” (Harris, 6-7). Harris is getting at something that transcends the art of illusion and is true of other art forms as well. Artists aren’t necessarily using art to express themselves, or to surpass reality, but rather to show the truth. The human response when confronted by art is that of wonder that what they are seeing or hearing or reading is real.

In my experience, nothing is more vivid than one of Ezra Pound’s two-line poems. It goes:

“In a Station of the Metro”
The apparition of these faces in the crowd:
Petals on a wet, black bough.

These two lines of text create something visceral and powerful inside of me that was present, but not evident. That is the power of art. I can also recall my early experiences with magic. I remember being in an airport when a magician took an ordinary playing card and tore it into pieces. He put the pieces in my hand and waved his hands and the card was restored in my own fingers. That moment of magic was real. For that moment, I felt removed from of the artificial, material world. This simple miracle that the magician created in my hands made me feel the same way I feel when I read Ezra Pound’s poetry. Magic and poetry achieve the same end. Both create something that is unreal—something intangible. Yet, both are real in that what they create is real to their respective audiences. Just as Marcel Duchamp’s “Ceci n’est pas une pipe” boldly proclaims “this is not a pipe,” does the audience recognize it as something real—a picture of a pipe. So too do magic and poetry create lies that are accepted to be real.

The world needs art. Society, especially American society, has become artificial in what it wants and what it appreciates. For example, romance novels are written to give instant gratification and to make fast money. Popular music is filled with cookie-cutter copies of the last popular song, with each new “artist” attempting to emulate another “artist.” Even people are making themselves artificial, both physically, and in how they act towards one another. So, what if art is all that’s real? Art can be a reality check. It objectifies reality by stripping away preconceptions of society. Art is the window that looks out from the shelter of society into the real world.

P.S. Don't plagerize this; I worked my ass off on it...

i think i just crapped myself
GREAT post

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
now ive got an essay to get into college, yes!

copied n pasted... nah im just kidding, youve put a lot of effort into it and it shows, good stuff

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results