Three disk monte disks?

Oct 13, 2008
I was watching this video on the Three disk monte by Nicholas Johnson of Australia, linked here:

Three Disk Monte

Spoiler: You are not able to win this simulation the normal way. All decisions lead to a losing outcome.

But that's not the point. The point is, WHERE can one find disks like the ones he uses, or even a suitable substitute? If there's no way to get these awesome disks in the US, then I thought it would be viable to use either a coaster or an air hockey puck. Not sissy Bicycle cards that everyone knows about anyway. I like the feel and the clink they make :cool:

PLZ help me find these! :(

SS

May 5, 2010
I was watching this video on the Three disk monte by Nicholas Johnson of Australia, linked here:

Three Disk Monte

Spoiler: You are not able to win this simulation the normal way. All decisions lead to a losing outcome.

But that's not the point. The point is, WHERE can one find disks like the ones he uses, or even a suitable substitute? If there's no way to get these awesome disks in the US, then I thought it would be viable to use either a coaster or an air hockey puck. Not sissy Bicycle cards that everyone knows about anyway. I like the feel and the clink they make :cool:

PLZ help me find these! :(

SS

Thanks- glad you enjoyed it. There is only one way to beat the game but it takes sometime to figure out...

In terms of the disks, I got them in Paris from a grifter for WAY too much money.

I've sourced a new supplier and I'm putting together a DVD of moves and original footage of REAL grifters to be release later this year.

Oct 13, 2008
Thanks- glad you enjoyed it. There is only one way to beat the game but it takes sometime to figure out...

In terms of the disks, I got them in Paris from a grifter for WAY too much money.

I've sourced a new supplier and I'm putting together a DVD of moves and original footage of REAL grifters to be release later this year.

It's funny that you supplied an answer here on the forums, Nicholas J. Johnson.

Will the disks be supplied to the US?

BTW you said you got them from a grifter (I actually fantasized about doing the same); what you made them a bet they couldn't refuse, or did you just grab and run? (I would have done the latter)

In the meantime, what would you recommend as a substitute?

May 9, 2010
They are easy to find.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladys and Gentlemen! The one! The only! DarkWitness!

Oct 13, 2008
They are easy to find.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladys and Gentlemen! The one! The only! DarkWitness!

And yet I have to resort to coming here to ask about it when all else fails :confused:

In any case, you have evidence to back up that assertion?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I used a set of wooden coasters bought from a second hand store for a gig of mine. I just painted a dot on the one.

Nov 12, 2016
One problem, with many homemade versions, is that they can scuff or mark easy and thus making the winning (or losing) disk obvious. Also, if they have a different texture on each side, you can’t perform false displays or turnovers. But this can be a good way to see if it is something you would want to take further or not.

The Disk Sets at magicswindles.com are all professional disk sets

These disk sets bring many new features to perform this classic. The disks have Matching Scratch Resistant on both sides of the disk and the marked disk has an embedded small disk. These two main features bring a better looking and working disk to the table.

What does the textured scratch resistant surface on both sides of the disk bring to the table?
(a) Help take way the sliding of the disk after they are thrown to the surface.
(b) Both sides of the disks have a matching textured surface, even the marked embedded disk has a textured surface to keep the disk scratch free and free from sliding.
(c) You are now able to use sleight of hand with the matching surface on both sides of the disks. (like a false turnover) You don't even have this feature with cards. This is a build in out if someone picks the money disk and then you can do a false turn-over to bring a loser.

(D) A four disk set can bring many new features.
This opens up a strategy where you can switch out a losing disk for another winning disk, thus having 2 winning disks in play where the spectator is only aware of one. Thus no matter which disk he selects you can always show another as a winner and with a false turnover show the other two as losers.

What does the embedded marked disk bring to the table?
(a) Never need stickers or have to re-paint the dot like others.
(b) Textured surface to help stop the disk from sliding on the surface.
( c) Larger selection for the marked disk.
( d) Mark disk inserts can be ordered in plastic or different metals.
(e) The metal disk inserts will give a slight weight difference to always know the winning disk location when mixing the disks around in play.

(Click on image to enlarge)

4 disk 2. border.jpg

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results