To all the young and hopefulls out there

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hey guys, here's a thread I posted back in December on Decknique.

I was motivated to write this after attempting to respond about someone needing help with Pandora. There are countless threads asking for help with Pandora, kryptonite, pressure fans etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to attack the people that ask these questions. I get it. Learning the concepts taught in the Trilogy are extremely difficult to learn the first time you see them. Jerry Cestkowski is just so ridiculously good at fanning that it can make learning from him frustrating.

For all of you out there looking for help with a new and difficult flourish you're learning, I would like to tell you, there is absolutely no way people here on the forums can help you any better than the DVDs you buy besides giving you a few PRACTICE tips.

The simple fact is, to get a flourish down, you need to practice your ass off. Do it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Re watch the explanations from the DVDs. Eventually, after practicing a move for SO long, your hands will say "OOH that's what I'm supposed to do, I get it."

All the advice in the world from the expert card flourishers here can not match up to cold, hard, down and dirty repetition and practice.

At first, I could not figure out for the life of me how the first phase of Pandora could be accomplished. "Can anyone besides the Bucks actually do this?" One day, after an intense practice session, my fingers started to move with the cards, and I could get it down without dropping anything. Now, 4 long months after that practice session, I can get the whole cut down pretty smoothly.

The same goes for the pressure fan. I got to the point where I thought that there was no way I was ever going to be able to get this fan down. "I'll never be as good as these people I see on youtube." Then eventually, after snapping three decks of cards in half from practicing*, I was able to make the go all the way around. Now about 2 months later, I can give pretty much any deck a nice, decent pressure fan.

TIME is such a key factor here. Advice from a forum member is not going to get you to learn the move any faster. It takes TIME for your fingers to get used to certain movements. You need to spend TIME practicing. If you're serious about learning the move(s), then the only way you're going to get them is to sit on your couch or your bed, and let your hands do the work.

Now let's be honest, I'm not the greatest flourisher out there. Heck I've only been into it for about a year. I got my first copy of XB about a year ago. Sure I can to a Heaven Display and a Cobra cut, but I probably wouldn't make it very far in the XCM tournament. But I understand the process necessary to acheive your goals in Magic and Flourishing.

So I hope some of you less experienced flourishers/magicians out there read this and think more about all those sleights and flourishes that you are having trouble with. Maybe some more experienced ones too.

The same information goes to magicians out there trying to learn the clipshift or some other difficult sleight.

Like I said, I get it. I was there. We all were there. De'vo was there, Dan and Dave were there.

I wish all of you out there just getting started in your magic/cardistry career the best of luck in your travels.

peace

-Kevin

May 16, 2008
yup

wow, that is so true. It's the hard truth. I found that hanging with groups of magicians and card lovers made it easier to learn the things that I just couldn't get on my own. Now after years of practice 13 to be exact.....I have mad chops and I still need help with certain flourishes and stunts. But now I just focus and sit and just work on the stuff until I work it all out.

Lots of patience and practice. Proper practice makes perfect.

Jan 28, 2009
This is the absolute truth.

The split second someone spends doing an effect looks effortless and magical because of the hundreds and thousands of hours spent practicing.

There's a saying in martial arts. "The only difference between a beginner and a master is a million repetitions."

That's true of anything that's worth learning. And magic, much like a martial art, has no upward limit. You'll never have a trick absolutely perfect, or a flourish, or an effect. There's always room to improve.

Jan 31, 2008
....damn now dats da truth

He speaks the truth about you speaking the truth....

Still, if you're not an "elite" your post will go on ignored by n00bs. They seem to think a thread will make up hours of practice but it never will, even if you aren't quite sure about the proper way to do a move, don't ask, experiment with it first on your own and someday you'll get it, that's a big part of your personal growth as an artist. As said many times before, there is NO substitute for practice when trying to learn a move.

Feb 20, 2009
Hell
He speaks the truth about you speaking the truth....

Still, if you're not an "elite" your post will go on ignored by n00bs. They seem to think a thread will make up hours of practice but it never will, even if you aren't quite sure about the proper way to do a move, don't ask, experiment with it first on your own and someday you'll get it, that's a big part of your personal growth as an artist. As said many times before, there is NO substitute for practice when trying to learn a move.

Now THAT'S the truth.

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
You forgot your Foot Note. But your right Practice will answer 99.99% percent of problems, the other 0.01% of problems are from decks of cards "Spontanously Combusting".

JDEN

Hah! true that. I still have slight scars on my hands from experiencing that with a deck of Old Studs. Weird stuff...

-Kevin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results