Torn & Restored Cards :: Motivation?

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
People do TnR because it's cool.

Here's a phrase i think every magician should think about: "So you can do magic. Why should I care?"

Making people care is one of the most important aspects in magic. How many times have you heard a spectator say "Hey, can you make money appear?" or "Can you make my wife disappear?". These phrases may be used as a joke but what they're really saying is "Why don't you do something useful with your powers?"

How many card tricks can have as much emotional impact as Prophet or Extreme Burn? Not many. It's simply because people care about money. The spectators will think "Man, if i had magical powers, this is what i would do all day. I'd be rich!" They're hooked.

That's just one example. The point i'm trying to make is that it's not about you showing off your cool skills, it's about amazing your audience. Think about it: If you really could do magic, would you spend all your time tearing and restoring a card? Or would you be busy changing ones into hundreds?

Dec 16, 2008
Austin, TX
something off the top of my head:
in a routine, you could do something like try and have a card come back to the top, but when it isn't their card, rip it up. later on, restore it, and show that it has changed into their card.

just a simple idea.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results