Tricks for parties

Dec 10, 2013
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to start a thread about performances i should do at a bar or a party. Probably looking for something other than card tricks because that might be a hassle taking them out. But if anyone has some ideas that will really get the party crowd amazed, reply back!
I was already thinking thread, & pressure. but any others??

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You amaze the crowd, not the tricks.

You'll want things that are portable, easy to follow, and not necessarily requiring them to hear you (Music gets loud at bars and parties)

I would recommend starting with pure sleight of hand. Coin tricks are very portable and if you're good with sleight of hand you can produce miracles with anything around you.

Oct 31, 2013
Charlotte N.C.
I usually play around with loops or some kind of other invisible string because it always amazes people and generally at parities and bars the lighting is so bad there is no way anyone would see the string.

Jun 13, 2013
Hampton Roads, VA
You're going to want super visual stuff, anything you can perform without talking is great for parties - stuff with complicated routines or patter won't go over well in a party environment where you might not be heard properly.

Coin tricks are great, I have a set of coins I have covered in glow paint for stuff when I do stuff at house parties and hookah bars and the like, just get some half-dollar sized coins (quarters aren't as visual) and go for it. Three Fly, Coins Across, and your various vanishes/productions are all fun. I'd recommend checking out the 'Mirage' vanish and 'Flicker' production here on theory11. They're just a really cool vanish/production combo that can add variety. A lot of vanishes look very similar, but Mirage really stands out.

Getting cards out isn't so bad, just get into the habit of keeping a deck in your pocket. Cut the side flaps off for easy removal, and you're good to go. Stuff like Transpositions, T&R, and color changes work the best for me because of their visual nature. I live in a multilingual part of Colorado and it's very helpful to be able to do magic that requires very little talking - this translates perfectly to a loud bar, club, or party.

Ideally you'll also want in-the-hands tricks, at a party or club there might not always be a lot of good working surfaces. Stuff like gambling demos and coin matrices you'll probably want to avoid save for rare exceptions.

Coins might be the best, but depending on how versatile your sleight of hand is it could be difficult to build a full routine around it (if you're a coin pro disregard this!) I might recommend a handful of card tricks too in case you start to run out of coin stuff.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
It starts with knowing what your Character is about; are you a gambler, a street hustler, a classic worker, a mentalists and if so, which type of mentalist, etc.

No One can give you an honest answer to this question other than yourself; you're the only one that has the vision as to what kind of performer you are going to be and what you will project. Once you know this, then you'll be able to look at effects and "see them" as being the right thing for your act.

Magic, contrary to popular belief, isn't about tricks, it's about creating a memory; we do this by becoming something other than another clone of things that have already been done by other people i.e. keeping up with what everyone else is chasing on the current hit parade of "cool tricks".

My suggestion is that you invest time learning your slights if you are going to stick with traditional magic. With a mastery in slight of hand you will be able to mesmerize people anywhere, under most any set of circumstances using only what's in your environment. It is a very empowering skill set that seems to get ignored far too much these days (except for card workers).

Think through your character that should be your priority effect for knowing that persona is what will help you recognize the effects best suited to that entity.

Nov 20, 2013
Everywheres demo and tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVh3E4GRySE I know it's cards but I like it for me, But I do hate putting a card box in my pocket, too many options to crush and tear the box.. The tutorial is in the description. I call the trick "everywheres" and I teach with the theme of "rumors" maybe you can find some use for it. For me it's a go to party trick, but it's easy enough to create lasting memories. Craig browning is wise beyond his years.. but this is a trick I created for people looking to perform it within 24 hours.

Apr 17, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVh3E4GRySE I know it's cards but I like it for me, But I do hate putting a card box in my pocket, too many options to crush and tear the box.. The tutorial is in the description. I call the trick "everywheres" and I teach with the theme of "rumors" maybe you can find some use for it. For me it's a go to party trick, but it's easy enough to create lasting memories. Craig browning is wise beyond his years.. but this is a trick I created for people looking to perform it within 24 hours.

Really should be posting links to exposures. It's in the rules. Also if He is wise beyond his years, that means he has the wisdom of like an 80 year old. Wait Craig did i call you old?

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results