Tricks for Special Occasions?

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
Times like Christmas (I know it has already passed), Halloween, birthdays, weddings etc need a little magic in them. What are some good effects for birthdays and weddings?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That depends on a lot of factors. Your character, your performance style, the people for whom you're performing, and the overall vibe of the event. Oh, and also whether you've been hired to perform, or are just a guest doing some magic.

In general I will do my energy transfer routine for any event that is 'relationship' themed because it really emphasizes the connection between the people. But if I were hired, I would probably just do my normal show and emphasize happy relationships to be encouraging to the guests of honor.

For Birthdays I would simply gear the show towards the birthday person's tastes. I would do the same material, just tweak the script for the event.

TaylorF

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2013
Texas
Hey Jtangarang! Chris has some great advice right there. for me personally, I prefer to perform a haunted deck effect, Angle Z (Gaff system or not), some Biddle trick and ACR. If you excel at table work, try some table triumph or some others (I don't know much table work). The Haunted Deck always has gotten amazing reactions for me.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
ChristopherT brings up all good points.

For example, I'm preparing a few tricks for a birthday party. I think other important factors are: if you're not getting paid, how much emphasis will be placed on the magician (are people thinking you'll put non a show, or are you doing a few tricks and calling it good--like a strolling set), trick cohesion (are you doing 3 random tricks? Or can your patter and character link all 3 together?)

As for what tricks work? It all depends on character and what you have on hand. I'm doing:

Magical Sneakers
Clean Cut
Burglar Ball

Would I recommend this to other people to do? No. IMO, it's all about character, patter, and trick cohesion.

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
oh, this is just a special thing for a friend :) its not a stand up type of show at a party or something. Just direct, intimate, 1 on 1.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results