Tricks With Instant Reset?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
What are some good "instant reset" tricks for strolling when you need to perform it over and over again and you have zero time to reset a scotch and soda or gimmick that requires some fidgeting? So far I use:

Free Will - Nice mentalism piece with 3 wooden discs
Invisible Deck
Spongeballs
Wow gimmick

I am not very good with cards yet to control and cull cards.

I am wondering what else do people use when they are doing say "table hopping" but I've been in two environments / gigs now where there is no reset time available.

Nov 19, 2008
When i perform card tricks, i usually have more than 1 trick prepared for a trick. etc. i have 2-3 angle zero tricks ready or 2 different svengali decks.
I've learned to have more than one deck of cards prepared, just hate when people ask "do it again!" and it's a trick that requires setup.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
When i perform card tricks, i usually have more than 1 trick prepared for a trick. etc. i have 2-3 angle zero tricks ready or 2 different svengali decks.
I've learned to have more than one deck of cards prepared, just hate when people ask "do it again!" and it's a trick that requires setup.

i dunno, having to switch decks to repeat a trick? sounds kinda suspicious and looks weird to a spec. and for most things you dont want to repeat the same method as the more people see it the more they notice for example. Try routining several similar effects together, layman wont know the difference, I for instance perform biddle trick, if someone ask's to see it again, i do a triumph like sloppy shuffle, then launch into another trick using the same card but having it signed. it all seems very similar to them and they dont know they are all completely different tricks and methods,

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Fiber Optics is a great rope routine that has instant reset.

But if you're looking for card tricks, Reset routines are instant reset. Any impromptu trick like triumphs and biddle trick are instant rest too.

Jan 27, 2008
well... Torn Too is like that.... by dany garcia.... there is no set up at all, just go and perform, go and perform.... also memento by daniel madison.... indecent by houchin....those are all instantly resetable....

:)

nayost

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i agree with the keep the slights flowing, with out repeating. however, if you do need to switch decks, you don't have to be slick about it. i'll give you a personal example. most of the time when i'm performing, the spectators usually will ask you to do more. just cut them off in a manner suitable for you (i usually joke around and say if you want to see more you'll have to start paying me!), and put the deck away. after a few seconds of them trying to talk me in to doing another slight, i'll finally give in and do my closing trick with an invisible deck. i've done this numerous times, i have yet to have anyone call me out on the deck switch. it's like you're doing them a favor by showing them one last amazing slight. because in the layman's eye... who the hell carries more than one deck of cards on them?!?! hahaha ,WE DO!

J

Joseph C

Go buy the Tarbell Course in Magic and you will be set for life.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm for Tarbell (enthusiasm to the point one would guess you were a relative), could you point out something in Tarbell that addresses the thread's point - is there anything in Tarbell that INSTANTLY RESETS to go again?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I think some of you misunderstood what I was asking. I have been at two gigs where it is like more of a corporate event with table hopping but with no time to reset anything. Not performing over and over for the same spectators....different tables..different spectators.

A lot of you did not read the part that other than the invisible deck and a few self working card tricks I do not use cards that much. I am looking for more items other than cards to add to my arsenal.

Tricks that you can do for the specator and when you pick everything up to move to the next table it is already to go again without doing a thing.

For example: a hot rod routine

The tricks must be small enough that I can carry them in my suit coat pockets.
Can someone explain the fiber optics trick a little more. I've heard of it.

Most of you guys seem to be into cards...I wanted to try some other items.

Sep 1, 2007
While I appreciate your enthusiasm for Tarbell (enthusiasm to the point one would guess you were a relative), could you point out something in Tarbell that addresses the thread's point - is there anything in Tarbell that INSTANTLY RESETS to go again?

Straignt out of the table of contents...

Lesson 7: Impromptu Tricks:

131 The Penetrating Ring: rubber band trick
134 The Jumping Rubber Band: A rubber band jumps from fingers to fingers
137 Metal Ring On A String: Solid ring removed from string whose ends are in full view
140 Patriotic Rings and String: Selected color ring is removed from rope
143 Penetrative Cigar Band: Cigar band removed from rope
144 Vanishing Ring On String: "ring" of string is eliminated by magician after spectator fails
145 Kellar's Cut And Restored Cord: 30" wrapping cord cut & restored
149 Comedy Version Of Germain Cord Effect: As above
152 An Impromptu Cut And Restored Cord Effect

Lesson 11: Impromptu Card Mysteries

213 Joe Berg's "Count Down" Card Mystery: Counting revelation
215 Tenkai's Reverse Cards Mystery: Cards are reversed but restore themselves
217 Royal Card Discovery: card prediction
219 Birds of a Feather: Performer and spectator each select card and mix them in deck. The end up together
221 Card Appearance at a Selected Number: counting revelation
223 Change-About Card: Selected card mixed in deck and jumps to top: fails 3 times, one failed is card.
225 Find The Burglar: selected card found between two kings
227 Selected Cards From The Spectator's Pocket

Aug 27, 2008
Tijuana bC
I think some of you misunderstood what I was asking. I have been at two gigs where it is like more of a corporate event with table hopping but with no time to reset anything. Not performing over and over for the same spectators....different tables..different spectators.

A lot of you did not read the part that other than the invisible deck and a few self working card tricks I do not use cards that much. I am looking for more items other than cards to add to my arsenal.

Tricks that you can do for the specator and when you pick everything up to move to the next table it is already to go again without doing a thing.

For example: a hot rod routine

The tricks must be small enough that I can carry them in my suit coat pockets.
Can someone explain the fiber optics trick a little more. I've heard of it.

Most of you guys seem to be into cards...I wanted to try some other items.

Fiber Optics is a trick by richard sanders it involves a rope which I do not really think would fit into a routine of table hopping although it is very visual. you should look into David Stones' 2 volumes" the real secrets of magic" to see what great stuff he performs and in the volumes he gives you great tips on how to do better on table hopping and get the most out of your performance $

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results