tricks without cards ?

Aug 21, 2011
my problem with magic is that i dont use any trick unless it is angle proof ungimmicked no setup
my list of non card tricks are
crazy man handcuffs
rubber thru hand
stairway
bently by chris hanowell
and used to do needle thru hand until it was broken inside my hand then i quit

what tricks you recommend me as mentioned above ?

please dont criticise my english it is bad as hell

baguette

Elite Member
Mar 28, 2013
Well you can check out first grade on the wire, 3 phone effects that are pretty cool (okay i might be biased ;) )

I normally carry a coin with which i perform a one coin routine, my iphone with which i perform the effects from first grade but also iunlockyourmind, social media magic, iforce and handzoff (or photoprediction), a few billets that i use for center tears, palm prophet by ran pink.

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
You need to go but books on magic. A good book to read is Mysterios Encyclopedia of Magic and Conjuring

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
May I ask why you need it to be angle proof, ungimmicked, and requiring no set up?

Sleight of hand can easily meet all of those goals.

Apr 17, 2013
I never understood the whole no gimmick thing. You are limiting youself so much by this. I would pick up the mark willson and tarbell books and I would rethink the no gimmick thing.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I never understood the whole no gimmick thing. You are limiting youself so much by this. I would pick up the mark willson and tarbell books and I would rethink the no gimmick thing.

This needed to be said twice and then some. . . . if you are afraid of angles, then learn to work around that situation, it is part of the art and you are short changing yourself . . . you're not a "magician" if you let this issue limit you. You need but learn more about presentation and misdirection to overcome this issue alongside audience management skills.

Gimmicks? Start with a Thumb Tip and get the Darwin Thumb Tip books; I can assure you that in short time you will become a fan of this single device and that's before you get involved with loops, ITRs, Sonata devices, etc. Magic is rife with gimmicks and unless you become a master at Slight-of-Hand, it will prove nigh impossible for you to avoid using them eventually.

Your major issue is FEAR. . . get over it!

Magicians get found out daily, it's how they (hopefully) learn to improve. . . it is a part of the learning curve, so stop letting your ego drive you into the delusion that working in the manner you describe, is "superior", it's not!

MORAL OF THE STORY IS. . . . if you want to be a "magician" then learn how to magic and stop taking the short cuts or seemingly "easier" route with things.

Aug 21, 2011
i can use gimmicks but after the effect is done everything is clean
i also have problem of fearing of getting caught if i did 10 tricks perfectly and one trick is caught i will not be happy with my performance

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
i can use gimmicks but after the effect is done everything is clean
i also have problem of fearing of getting caught if i did 10 tricks perfectly and one trick is caught i will not be happy with my performance

Forgive me but it sounds like you're new to performance. That fear goes away the longer you perform and realize that it's not the individual tricks that people remember, it's how you made them feel overall that they remember. Half the time people will forget a portion of the show, and mix the stuff they do remember together. Like the spectator who told Wayne Houchin that it was really cool when Wayne pulled a length of thread with needles tied onto it out of his eye.

I'm going to re-emphasize that pure sleight of hand is probably what you want to focus on. Ring magic is great because you can carry the prop (your ring) with you without it being a 'prop'. I use stuff from Peter McKinnon, Garrett Thomas and Justin Miller for ring work. Coins are very similar and easily borrowed - just work on coin sleights for a while and any time you can find smallish, flattish, roundish objects you can work miracles.

There's also a whole host of 'body magic' where you do things with just your own person. I haven't studied any of this, though, so unfortunately I can't give you any leads for that.

There's a lot of rubber band tricks as well, other than CMH, that involve little to no set up. Marcus Eddie is good for that stuff and I know there's been a book or DVD set mentioned that focuses specifically on rubber bands. I have no idea what the name is, though, sorry.

That's all I've got for now. Good luck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results