Undetectable magic trick!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Nice, but I'm not sure it is any better than a Marlo Tilt / Vernon Depth Illusion and question the angles from the side in real life. The double has multiple tells and the lift is too close in time to the get ready. A strike double would have been better.

As a note, magic should seek to be entertaining, not just something that the audience can't figure out how you do or detect the method.

Reactions: MrM3511
Nov 24, 2021
Nice, but I'm not sure it is any better than a Marlo Tilt / Vernon Depth Illusion and question the angles from the side in real life. The double has multiple tells and the lift is too close in time to the get ready. A strike double would have been better.

As a note, magic should seek to be entertaining, not just something that the audience can't figure out how you do or detect the method.

I really appreciate this. So with this control the card ends up on top, where was with Tilt it's second from top.

I'm to comfortable with strike double's yet though I'm alright at them. And you're absolutely right that it isn't just about fooling them.

There's this thing I tell myself and that is that if you fail a magic trick and they are still entertained, it doesn't mean you failed, could still be a success.

And...yeah you're REALLY correct that the timing on the tilt was pretty horrible... thank you!

SudarshanSorcerieS

Elite Member
May 15, 2020
Boston, MA
Some beginner magic. However, like what Reality said, magic should seek to be entertaining and not something in which the spectators have to figure out the method. You would also need lots of practice with the methodology of the steps, as they can be presented in a cleaner manner.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So with this control the card ends up on top, where was with Tilt it's second from top.

The tilt allows a two phase routine. The audience sees the card is inserted into the middle, it is shown not to be the top card, it comes to the top, it is again cleanly inserted into the middle, it is shown not to be the top card, it comes to the top or is dealt to the table.

Nov 24, 2021
The tilt allows a two phase routine. The audience sees the card is inserted into the middle, it is shown not to be the top card, it comes to the top, it is again cleanly inserted into the middle, it is shown not to be the top card, it comes to the top or is dealt to the table.
so you basically use it in an ambitious card routine

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
so you basically use it in an ambitious card routine

Exactly. The additional phase adds something to the plot. This is why the classics are classics. To do what you are doing, you could use a tilt followed by a top change (recognizing that a top change is more difficult to pull off on video where the focus is your hands).

For what you are doing, Eddie Fechter's "Be Honest What is It" which can be found in "Fechter: The Magic of Eddie Fechter" by Jerry Mentzer is a much stronger version. I also like it when the top card is given to the spectator to stick in the face up deck as an "indicator card" to try and find their own card and when they don't find their card, it is revealed that the indicator card is their card. Both add the "something more" that increases the entertainment value.

In thinking about magic effect, try to focus on what the spectator sees and remembers and think about what magic is being demonstrated. In an ambitious card, the audience sees the card inserted in the middle and it rises to the top. What does the audience see in your effect and what is the magic that happens?

A couple of final thoughts on your card handling. First, slow down. Sometimes we rush through sleights for fear of being caught. Trust you technique and go slow. Second, use a more open handling of the cards. The default position should be your hands are apart with your right hand and the cards in the center of your body. Your left hand should only approach and touch the card when necessary. Relax your grip in your right hand and fold your fingers down a bit. When your left hand is moving away from the cards turn it palm up.

Nov 24, 2021
A couple of final thoughts on your card handling. First, slow down. Sometimes we rush through sleights for fear of being caught. Trust you technique and go slow. Second, use a more open handling of the cards. The default position should be your hands are apart with your right hand and the cards in the center of your body. Your left hand should only approach and touch the card when necessary. Relax your grip in your right hand and fold your fingers down a bit. When your left hand is moving away from the cards turn it palm up.
Yes...your very correct, especially on the rushing, I need to work on that because I do yt shorts and my time is limited to 15 seconds..so I need to work on being more relaxed. I appreciate you taking the time to write all of this!

Sep 30, 2021
www.youtube.com
Yes...your very correct, especially on the rushing, I need to work on that because I do yt shorts and my time is limited to 15 seconds..so I need to work on being more relaxed. I appreciate you taking the time to write all of this!
I also make YouTube shorts and the limit is 60, next time you make just click the 15 at the bottom of your screen and it will extend it to 60 seconds.

Nov 24, 2021
Yeah, that's true except I can't have music playing for more than 15 seconds, which is a pretty big deal

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results