Valentine's Day

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
I usually like to perform magic on special days like Valentine's Day :) What are some good effects to perform for girls? On another note, I am a pretty sociable person at school.

and if this is too late... give me something to perform on St.Patrick's Day or Easter or something like that

Nov 16, 2014
Definitely French Kiss by Wayne! Also, making a flash paper rose and burning it to form a real one is great, too! Maybe even an effect with Hershey Kisses!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What kind of stuff do you already perform and what resources do you have?

Do you have someone specific in mind or are you just looking for a Valentine's Day themed performance?

Are you wanting to develop something yourself or just be another generic magician doing the same card tricks that everyone else is doing?

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
Resources; I have flash paper, which I have been using for a couple months now. I have Jay Sankey's DVD Spontaneous Combustion. Just thought that fire might be a cool prop to work with on Valentine's day. Flash paper is always a viable option for me. I also do a lot of card magic which is what I am comfortable with; any card tricks for Valentine's Day? Coins? Rope? Tricks with paper?

Just the type of person I am, I'm sure I'll be performing for someone special, but I do like to walk around and perform to different people as well.

I'm not wanting to be a generic card trick magician. I do work with other things such as coins and rope, but I'm not a "master" at any of those yet, as they take months, even years of practice.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What do you want to say with this performance? What are you expressing?

Which trick can you think of that will do well with expressing that concept?

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
Something intimate. I want to express that I kind of maybe possibly like her. I can think of some flash paper tricks, but is there anything else?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I suggested it with someone else, but get a blank deck of cards and get a matching deck of regular cards.

Take 4 of the blank cards and replace 4 cards in the regular deck and place a message using all 4 cards.

Then do 'Cutting the Aces'

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
How can we tell you how to express yourself? We don't know anything about this person or how you feel.

Also, "kind of maybe possibly like her"? Seriously? Are you in an '80's high school coming of age comedy?

Figure out exactly what you want to express and that will narrow down your options.

Otherwise, do what MrHurley suggested - that sounds like a good trick.

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
You got some solid logic. But my logic is, if I have some options to choose from, I can probably see which ones fit my style. Even if I do narrow down what I'm trying to express, how am I going to find an effect that fits what I'm going for?

Like (for example) shopping. Let's say you're looking for some sort of kitchen cleaning thing (for lack of a better example). There are some different tools (again, for lack of a better example), are you just going to narrow down to one type? For me, I'd probably see what different options I have. Generally, I'm very versatile. Also, let's avoid being negative here :) I asked for suggestions, not that type of criticism. Unless you are trying to prepare me for future situations like this, in that case, thank you. If that's the case, give me some tips for finding what fits my style.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The point is that it seems like you're figuring out a trick first, then the thing you want to express. Instead of trying to figure out what you want to express, then the trick.

Look - I'm generally opposed to trying to use magic to woo a girl. But if you're going to do it, do it right. Just like writing a show - figure out what you want to say and the best way to say it will probably seem more obvious.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Seriously? Are you in an '80's high school coming of age comedy?

Don't knock it unless you've lived it. Seriously, my first date was to take a girl to see the Breakfast Club in the theatre. It's funny, I can remember the movie but not her name. Oh, I was John Cusack's character in Say Anything when I was in high school -- except I didn't have the trench coat -- it was a long wool winter coat. OK, now I've got to go listen to some Simple Minds and Peter Gabriel.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I was born in the '80's. I'm very familiar with those movies - why do you think I used that example?

I also know that if you're wishy-washy it doesn't go so well. Either it's worth committing or it's not - don't go halfway.

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
That's not the point :( Its not that I'm "figuring out" a trick first, its that I'm looking for suggestiong for potential tricks I CAN use, and then picking the ones that fit me best.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Anybody else for suggestions?

It's kind of tough to work with generalities. Honestly, your best bet it to look through the wire and youtube and research tricks. You will find a few in which you'll be able to work an effect that will match your current skill level.

I mean, some suggestions were made, we don't know how long you've been doing magic, we don't know what your current forte is, and you have a couple weeks to work on a trick. Even starting on 'Cutting the Aces' for a couple weeks MIGHT be a stretch (depending on which version you would select).

My best suggestion is to research tricks. You know your skill, you know your forte, you know what would stand out to you; and that's what will make the biggest difference--finding a trick that you can put your stock into instead of picking a forum-suggested trick that isn't privy to what you are capable of doing (because I could be a jerk and suggest Raise Rise)

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
Okay, any suggestions for next year? (Then I would have enough time to get comfortable with something) Or would this just not work?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Okay, any suggestions for next year? (Then I would have enough time to get comfortable with something) Or would this just not work?

The biggest problem of why you aren't getting the results you are looking for is that no one knows how long you've been doing magic, what magic you want to do, and what magic you do know. And worse that you're taking the suggestions from here and taking the ones you like.

Good enough is not good magic.

Where we are standing right now, no one knows how to help you.

A year is a long time and a lot can happen from now until then. Theoretically, with enough dedication and focus, you could do the Valentine's Day thing in a few weeks.

You're only going to get your answers by researching tricks on your own and seeing what strikes your interest.

I don't want to say you're going uphill with rollerskates. But from now until then; you have to research tricks, select a trick, practice said trick, master the trick, create a good routine, and practice the routine until you're comfortable with it.

If this was two months from now--ok.

But a few weeks to do all this from scratch, to me, is a helluva tall order.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results