Venus Trap Revisited

Jan 5, 2013
..::VENUS REVISITED/ Instructional Download::..
BY CHRIS BROWN

OVERVIEW

Episode l (18 Minutes)– "The Venus Trap, founded in 2006, is one of the most invisible moves ever created. In this episode, I will dive into the depths of my very first control. In this lesson you will learn the Venus Trap along with all the branches that come from this tree. With clear over the shoulder camera shots I make learning the Venus trap extremely easy. The Venus Trap is a variation from a move created by George Pugh in 1949 entitled “Pugh’s substitute for the double lift”. The Venus Trap Revisited includes some of the things I’ve learned throughout the past few years after my first release with Dan and Dave. This is my very first download all on my own. I’ve been striving towards this for years now. I think after 6 years of doing the move it is time I put out a revisited updated video. Although I will also say that you should buy the Venus Trap download at shop.dananddave.com/venus-trap because that's where it all began. You’ll appreciate my revisited instructional after learning the origin of the move on Dan and Dave’s site.
Obviously I couldn’t put all the moves and ideas in the trailer because people would try to reverse engineer them and plus, this leaves some suspense to what you’ll be learning. With a little bit of practice you’ll be performing the Venus Trap and all of its applications with minimal effort. Like a boss"

..::WHAT YOU NEED::..
All you need in order to perform this utility move are your two hands, but of course you will also need a deck of cards.

..::THE TEACHING::..
I will break down the teaching of the Venus Trap on how Mr. Brown teaches it overall and along with the different variations and ideas of it inlcuded with the download.
The download starts off with Chris sitting on his leather gucci couch and telling us to take our shoes off; because this move will blow our minds off. He is right.
First of all, the whole download is accompanied with beautiful classical music, so if you love magic and classical music; you are in for a treat. Chris teaches the VT with a back angle, while he is facing a upward mirror that is placed on his living room carpet. For me it was useful to look at the mirror reflection while he was teaching because that is how your spectators will see it…kinda haha.

VENUS TRAP: This is the big kahuna; what you have been waiting for. Chris teaches the VT very well and it is apparent he has been performing it for a long time. The VT is not one dimensional; there are many things you can do with this sleight. Chris shares six more applications that any person can do in the real world. Without further ado, this move does have a ton of applications undiscovered- (9/10)

VENUS INSTA-DOUBLE: Chris offers the first variation; using the VT to load a card “instantly” hence the title insta-double. I guess when your hands are being burnt by a spectator, you want the Venus Trap to spit back poison at them, this is the move for retaliation. If you did not understand that, it simply means that if your spectators are skeptical of your ambitious card routine; DO THIS. This variation also sets you up for another move made popular by Roy Walton, Alex Pandrea, Daniel Garcia, etc. -(8/10)

ONE-HANDED VENUS TRAP: Chris finally reveals this variation of the VT that kills. He says this variation is fun to practice, but it will take juevos to actually perform it. This move looks fantastic on camera, but it could be a problem for others who want to execute it in the real world. Just practice, you will be fine though.- (7/10)

CENTER VENUS FLOURISH: The CVF is great; this one is a real worker for me in tough situations and when a group of people are surrounding me. Your VT will become bulletproof when you combine the flourish with it. Great thinking Chris! –(9/10)

VENUS COLOR CHANGE: I love when the VT can change the colors of the cards in your deck; it is startling for your spectators to experience, but you need to do it in an unexpected manner. When doing the VCC the timing and angles need to be practiced to make it super sexy. –(7.5/10)

DUAL SELECTION VENUS: Chris teaches this fantastic routine, which could be a great opener for your card routines. The routine as follows: A spectator chooses a card and a second spectator chooses another card. They are lost in the deck. The second card is found and then transforms into the first card all utilizing the VT. –(7/10)

VENUS TRAP ADD-ON: This a super seductive sexy move. I use this in all my routines because when you “add-on” it is so invisible. No one will see anything. I cannot talk about the VENUS TRAP anymore; you need to learn it now!!! –(9/10)

..::THE QUALITY OF THE VIDEO::..

The production quality of the download is one of the best; crystal clear HD! –(10/10)

..::ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS::..
One of the best moves to switch a card in magic PERIOD. If you know the 4 for 4 Switch, Undercover Switch, or the Vibration Move you should do yourself a favor and look into this move as well. Angles will not be an issue. Just be sure misdirection and making use of the offbeat is in the presentation. Thank you for your time everyone and any questions please free to PM me anytime!

..::OVERALL EXPERIENCE::..
-(8/10)

Aug 31, 2007
Awesome review! Chris is an awesome thinker, and has some great stuff. What are your other favorites of Brown?

Feb 10, 2013
I came up with a control a while back and it turns out it is very similar to his Orbit Control. It is one of my favorite controls.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results