Visual Aspect // Prophet and Extreme Burn

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Like I said before, I'm just speculating. But if they are indeed the same, method wise, that would certainly need to be addressed.

You bring up and interesting point Cameron and I am really unsure what the right thing to do here would be. I think we can be certain that Tom didn't see Richard's work prior to T11 getting their hands on his effect. I also realize that Richard's came out first but is it really fair to force Tom to credit Richard here? Acknowledgment would be nice but I would bet a few bucks that these are already at the duplicator or close to final production so it isn't likely an easy thing to do.

We saw the same thing when we had the big rush of CIB effects and people were wondering if Factory Sealed and Bullet were going to credit other creations that came out prior.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am the first to pickup a pitchfork and torch when it comes to proper crediting. I am just not so sure there is a real case to be made here that Tom or T11 is required to credit Richard because I feel, on the surface of things, that these are two independent creations released relatively close to each other. Anyways these are just my thoughts because you got me thinking about this last night when you initially made a similar comment.

--Jim

Oct 8, 2007
I think those transaction services like PayPal will take care of that stuff for you.

..:Z:..

Yes, I think they can handle such transactions but I think he meant to ask if you could use foreign currency for the tricks, which is what I would also like to know. I don't use US currency too so hopefully someone could clear this up.

Ok, for a trick that has such a surprising and striking similarity (alliteration :D) to another one out there, I think it has been influenced in some way by EB. That is, assuming Tom has already seen EB himself.

I don't know how to say this exactly but there are effects out there that have a small similarity to another but to a lesser extent than that of EB's and Prophet's, aren't there? Yet some people still make an issue out of it because of that small similarity.

Theory11 is obviously aware of this issue and I'm sure they're not going to pretend to be oblivious about it. Knowing that, then there must be a clear difference/distinction between the two that would give it the right to be released as another independent effect, which is what they'll be doing soon. If not, then such similarities between the two effects that many have mentioned will definitely raise some questions.

Just my opinion. And can somebody answer the question about using foreign currency? For use in trick, and not for paying for it, btw. :D

We'll at this point I'm just going to purchase both of them. I'm sure the method's aren't exactly the same but either way both would be a great weapon to add to my routine. I wonder how the angles are with this, can you do EC fully surrounded?

Shane

Oct 28, 2007
darn, i'm too late to see the video! :( i want to see it so bad. some please put it back up.

And guys i am sure, like 99.999999999% sure that they have already consulted Richard or seen the method for extreame burn already, i mean think about it, look what happened with digital dissolve, i'm sure they don't want that happening again. They have to do some research and people have been talking about extreame burn and i don't think the T11 crew is stupid because they are still going to release it. (common sense guys)

and there are some details we need to know like diifficulty and if it even uses a gimmick, like borrow five dollars and do it right off the bat, doubt it though but if it is gimmickless i'm sold.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I seriously doubt that Tom ever saw Richard's version of the bill switch and suggesting he knew about it before is a pretty slippery slope to step on without any real evidence suggesting such. I would wait to hear it direct from the horse's mouth before we make any assumptions about who knew what and what T11 is going to do about crediting, if anything at all.

Personally I don't see the need to credit Richard in Prophet. If anything credit goes to Patrick Page and those who came after to popularize and modify the plot and methods for accomplishing the effect.

Tim Trono said it best on the Cafe and I would prefer to give him credit for even mentioning some of the history behind this effect that I think most people should know:

Certainly if you use the Pat Page/Fred Kaps version (it should be noted that the originator is Patrick Page, Fred Kaps changed it and popularized it) then more power to you. It is a great handling and has stood the test of time. Definitely use what works for YOU. It's not so much that we need a new version but it's amazing to see the improvements. As I said in my initial post, I didn't think it could go beyond Hundy 500 as I personally felt that was a big improvement over the Pat Page routine. Then I saw Karl Hein's Heiny 500 and was amazed at the count, shows, etc. - it just made it look that much more like real magic. I actually recommended considering combining ideas from Heiny with Hundy. Then I saw several full clips of Richard Sanders' "Extreme Burn"... it looks like magic... no folding... just the change right with no cover. What until you see the clips! As in any routine I always recommend one learn ALL they can about it... look up and study Pat Page, Bob King, Fred Kaps, Mark Allen, Jim Pace, Greg Wilson, Karl Hein, Richard Sanders, etc. and pull what YOU like from all of them... what works for you, what feels right for you. Personally I don't look it as just another version... I look at it as raising the bar.

--Jim

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results