Walk around card magic?

Feb 16, 2015
Hey wizards and witches. I have been learning magic for a while now but I still struggle to find routines that are good for walk around magic - that don't require a special deck, set up or gimmick. I have pockets full of cards and gimmicks.

I am looking for some good card material, using just an ordinary deck of cards, for walk around. I have loads of material for when I have a table but little for in the hands. Any recommedations would be welcome.

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Here is one
Step 1. Let your spectator pick a card
Step 2. Control it to the top
Step 3. Say "how cool would it be if your card would jump on top?"
Step 4. Do double lift and say "well to bad I'm not that good"
Put the double back on top and take their card
Step 5. Get them to hold out their and and drop the card in their hand (making sure the card turns over)

Feb 16, 2015
Hey man, firstly thank you for your message. However I have been doing magic a little while so inevitably a variation of the trick you described is already in my act. I was more looking for good rescources for walk around magic. I have got professional opportunist v1 and v2 they are good for walk around. I have got Garrett Thomas 'Stand Up Monte' which is also very good. I was just looking for more ideas.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Here's some routines I do/use - ChanGe and Be Kind Change by Tony Chang, Revolver by Greg Wilson, ACR.

However, most often I just free style. If you have a solid foundation of sleights you can just make things up as you go.

Reactions: 010rusty
Feb 16, 2015
Hey, thanks I will look those up :).

Yeah I am getting there with my foundation of slights. I have been trying to routine them together. I find myself using the double life more often that i'd like. Any sleights that you find particularly useful?

Mar 15, 2017
For me, I'd say the three fundamental things for card magic is one, the double lift, I personally use the strike double lift, but it depends on the person, second thing is knowing how to control a card, and the third thing is knowing how to look natural. You do not want to look like you're hiding something, the more tense you are, the tenser the audience is, so it's best that you relax more.

Reactions: Ned Devine
Feb 16, 2015
I couldn't agree more. I can double undercut, centre double, classic pass to some degree, turnover pass to some degree, cull control and a couple more controls. I also love the strike double but I have been favouring a pinky count at the moment. All of which give me some material but not a lot of structure or many routines.

Can anyone recommend any particularly good DVD's or books in card magic that have good routines?

Oct 12, 2016
Utah
If you haven't learned the overhand shuffle control, that's probably one of the most important controls to master, and also one of the most versatile, as once you've got the hang of it, along with a jog and a pass or undercut, you can place the card basically wherever you want in the deck, not just the top or bottom.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Card College Vols 1 & 2.

The strike second deal is vastly underrated.

But honestly I don't use much in the way of "sleights". I can palm comfortably, I can control cards where I want them casually, and I am good at commanding attention. Other than when I'm doing specific routines that's what I use.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
A good triumph routine is always solid in a card workers repertoire. A card transpo is good as well as Oz Pearlman's Clutch. I also do an ambitious routine and a lie detector all with regular deck. It will save you tons of pocket space.
Don't feel bad. 17 years ago heading to my first strolling paid gig I think I had like 20 gimmicks and effects banging around in my pockets and looked like a hot mess. LOL. I've learned a lot since then.

Feb 16, 2015
- ChristopherT-
With the overhand control, what control do you mean? Like an injog type control? Unless there is a overhand shuffle control that I don't know.

Yes I have only recently been looking at the second deal. I really like the look of the push off second. It looks harder but more convincing. I will pick up a copy of card college. Everyone talk's about it a lot.

It is exactly these specific routines I am looking for. I usually end up doing some variation of card in the hand, card to pocket, ambitious card or card to mouth and simply can't think of many more routines.

Feb 16, 2015
-RichEverhart-

Thank you for sharing some of your routines.

I was thinking of using a triumph routine. I simply can't find one I like. A lot of them end up with some fishy shuffle. The only one I like is Darwin Ortiz's 'Fast Company'. However that isn't best suited for walk around. I am working on the roadrunner cull... I fear it may be a good year before I am happy with it. What triumph routines do you use?

Ah yes Oz, I like his stuff. I haven't yet got clutch. Good to know it is worth buying :).

A lie detector? As in, they lie about what their card is and you get it?

Haha! Yeah I have had many gigs full to the brim with cards, esp cards, omni decks, invisible decks, a couple special wallets, envelopes and sharpies! I am glad i'm not alone.

Thanks again ;)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That was Lindel, but yes - overhand shuffle control. Usually using an in jog. I almost never use it myself.

There's another thing you really need to keep in mind - To a laymen, a card trick is a card trick is a card trick. While I have free styled card stuff for a long time, I don't recommend it. We (magicians) may understand the difference between various ways of locating and revealing cards, but if you think of it from the laymen's perspective, "He had me pick a card and then it appeared in *******" is the summary of every pick-a-card trick. You really have to make sure you're creating variety and texture.

My own guideline is basically to do magic that happens to involve cards.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I have specially designed most of my stuff to work in the hands! Even stuff that is set up or gimmicked can be performed without a table. You are welcome to take a look to see if any of it influences you in any way. :)

https://www.theory11.com/marketplace/michael-obrien

I would suggest thinking about the following plots:
-ambitious card
-card to pocket
-2 card transpo (on that happens in specs hands)
-in-hands triumph
-stacked deck
-packet tricks like twisting the aces

This will require you to use a standard pack and a sharpie if you want cards signed.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: ParkinT
Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Find what suits you. Do you want from a shuffled deck in use material or have a deck and a few stranger cards in the deck you can get to later.

For example I might have a stranger card for Chicago Surprise and a setup on top for a card Transpo and then go into an ambitious card routine or card to pocket.

You can learn a lot by looking at pros working material and gaining their knowledge.

For instance if I wanted to look at a cards to pocket I might buy and research Steve Valentine's work on it, David Williamson's, or Terry Ward's. It's easy to search up and good their names and see what resource it's on.

If I wanted a good Ambitious to go off of I might look at getting World's Greatest Magic: Ambitious Card DVD and see if any fit you.

Many options, make a list of 3 tricks you think would flow together and start learning the routine and you can see what your deck setup would look like and go from there.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
To be honest, my walk around material all comes from completely different places. I have never found one DVD or book that I use all the material. Some stuff I do I bought as single effects (Jokers Wild), and other things are from a variety of other sources (Biddle, ambitious, etc). But I don't think I use two tricks from the same book or DVD in my walk around sets. There is just so much good material, that you have to pick your favorites. I've recently been playing with some things from John Carey's DVD called 24/7.

Reactions: RickEverhart
Feb 16, 2015
That was Lindel, but yes - overhand shuffle control. Usually using an in jog. I almost never use it myself.

There's another thing you really need to keep in mind - To a laymen, a card trick is a card trick is a card trick. While I have free styled card stuff for a long time, I don't recommend it. We (magicians) may understand the difference between various ways of locating and revealing cards, but if you think of it from the laymen's perspective, "He had me pick a card and then it appeared in *******" is the summary of every pick-a-card trick. You really have to make sure you're creating variety and texture.

My own guideline is basically to do magic that happens to involve cards.

Mainly on your last point to do with creating variety and texture. I completely agree with that. It is soo easy to do the same things. I am trying to force myself to think of different plots like sandwich effects and triumphs. I will need to do a one work. This is the start of me coming up with my own ideas. Thank you for your advice :)

Feb 16, 2015
Find what suits you.

For example I might have a stranger card for Chicago Surprise and a setup on top for a card Transpo and then go into an ambitious card routine or card to pocket.

For instance if I wanted to look at a cards to pocket:
Steve Valentine
David Williamson's
Terry Ward's

If I wanted a good Ambitious to go off of I might look at getting World's Greatest Magic: Ambitious Card DVD and see if any fit you.

Many options, make a list of 3 tricks you think would flow together and start learning the routine and you can see what your deck setup would look like and go from there.

There was so much good advice it is hard to reply to. The main bit I like is getting three routines that flow into each other set. I do that for stage stuff but I forget to do it for closeup! Wonderful advice!

I was looking at the greatest magic series they look at least like a wealth of knowledge on one plot. I will give that a look!

Stranger car? And Chiago surprise? I have never heard of these I will look them up.

Overall that genuinly really helpful thank you!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results