We Perform Tricks, There's Nothing Wrong With That

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
For many years we in the magic community have avoided the use of the word "trick". There are many reason we have avoided using the word, some claim that it cheapens the magic referring to dogs and prostitutes who perform "tricks". Some act like what we perform should always be called something else, like an "effect" or "illusion". I feel like this isn't necessary.

During the Olympics I found the announcers calling many things that were completely artistic "tricks". Shaun White referred to "landing tricks" and his couch said they were "practicing a new trick". If a snowboarder can call what they do "tricks" I feel like I can call what l do tricks as well. What really surprised me is ice skating. One of the reasons used for not calling magic "tricks" is that it prevents it from being considered an art. Now, if you asked a hundred lay people which was more of an art magic or ice skating I'm pretty certain that most people would say ice skating was. And, in ice skating they refer to many of the aspects of their performance as tricks. A similar dynamic comes into play when talking about ballroom dancers and their lifts and stunts.

I recently watched an interview with Penn and Teller where the interviewer asks them if they prefer to call what they do tricks or illusions. To paraphrase Penn, he says, what we do are tricks,there's nothing wrong with that. Other magicians say they perform illusions but they are using the word wrong. We need to get away from the word "effect" in magic.

I really feel like I agree with Penn, I'll try to find the exact interview so I can be more accurate but what he says is true. From time to time we will use optical illusions in our magic but I really don't think that makes us illusionists. By the same measure if we talk about tricks sold here on Theory 11 I think we need to talk about them as tricks. For a trick like Vertigo by Rick Lax Vertigo its self is not an effect, the effect is that a box or deck of cards balances in an impossible way.

When we mix up the use of these words I feel like it does nothing but muddy up the water and makes communication more difficult where it doesn't have to be.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Not all of us are performing 'tricks', though.

I don't disagree that calling a spade a spade is correct, and what most magicians do are tricks. However, we can elevate those tricks to be more than just tricks. I would like to think that what I do comes closer to a play than a series of tricks. I can't be sure, of course, because I'm too close to it, but that's what I striving for.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Not all of us are performing 'tricks', though.

I don't disagree that calling a spade a spade is correct, and what most magicians do are tricks. However, we can elevate those tricks to be more than just tricks. I would like to think that what I do comes closer to a play than a series of tricks. I can't be sure, of course, because I'm too close to it, but that's what I striving for.

Yeah, I agree. The same way a group of tricks can make an ice skating routine that can move you. A magic trick framed right can be more than just a sport.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Perspective is everything and Penn was right most misuse the term "Illusion" in that this is typically tied to the big stuff, not hand based effects. The joke used to be that "Illusions" carry a retail price that exceeds the price of the average car. . . . Tricks are things the typical young person can afford to scrape up enough lunch money to purchase. . . especially, god forbid, they don't mind Reading. . .

Semantics plays big in how we look at things; when, for an example, a student of Mentalism looks at what he/she is doing as being "tricks" they've lost! We create effects that affect others on deep levels, sometimes very emotional levels which is quite different from what a Magician will do. That's not saying that a magician can't invoke emotion, they do along side with wonder. Take a look at some of the more romantic bits created by Copperfield -- vignettes that are mini-theater. We can see this in close-up such as when Bill Malone performs the Bell Hop routine or Levand does his slow motion cards and "bread crumb" routine.

Creating Enchantment is our job, one that few ever manage to do because "they are doing tricks" rather than engaging their audience on the mental, emotional and even imaginative level. The ice skater, juggler, ballet dancer. . . all of them enchant because of how they manipulate themselves and their elements; it's something the typical human being envies or better put, experiences through the performer. This is what we need to learn to remember and create.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results