What is Astonishment?

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Here is some food for thought for you all. Long day at work today. Nothing out of the ordinary, just another mediocre day. I did my job, I got ready to leave. The only thing unusual the entire day was the fact that there is an airshow here this weekend and the world famous Blue Angels were to perform. In fact, my building shook all day with the sounds of them practicing.

Here I am, at the end of a boring day at work. I leave the building. It’s hot and humid outside. I call my wife to tell her I am heading home for the day. I look up to the sky and stop mid sentence, mid stride, in the middle of the lane in the parking lot. There, in the sky ahead of me, are four glistening blue and yellow F-18s in diamond formation rocketing vertically into the sky with their smoke on. My jaw dropped, and for a moment my wife thought I had died. As I drove home, under this crazy spell, I went the long way through town which put me out by the airfield where the Angels were practicing. They did a low flyby (probably 50’ – 100’) right over me when I was driving. I spent every spare moment watching this incredible, unexpected sight until my drive had taken me so far I could no longer see them.

As I drove away, I realized something crazy. I had just witnessed magic. I had just been thrown into such an unexpected state of astonishment that I forgot everything else for a moment of my life. Yes, I know how jets work. I used to hope to be a fighter pilot. Knowing how these jets worked did not stop me from having this incredible moment. I had to sit back down and think hard about the entire thing to really understand why this was magic to me.

First, this was unexpected. I wasn’t leaving work to go see fighter jets do stunts. I was having a very ordinary day. Something unexpected and very extraordinary changed everything.

Second, the impossibility of the act defied the fact that I knew how it was done and had seen it before. None of that mattered. The fact that I was watching something so incredible took precedence over the fact that humans have been at this flying game for quite some time now.

Third, it took me back to my childhood, or to better times gone by. I remembered my long forgotten dreams of flying jets. I remembered watching planes fly by as a kid and marveling at the idea. It took me out of “now” and put me somewhere else. For a while, I forgot all the mediocrity of the boring day and had the best day in recent memory.

Now, I don’t want to have to do all the work for you in tying magic into this. I will leave this here for those of you who care to do something with it. All I will tell you is that as I looked skyward and stared, I was taken back to the first time I saw a magic trick as a kid. I felt the same feeling. I saw real magic.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
That's great Lyle. I don't know if I have much to add, as I think anything I would say would be redundant. But thanks for sharing. I don't know if it needs any more clarification that what you gave. It is already a lesson in itself. Now I need to think back to the last time something like that happened to me...

I am from their home base in Pensacola, Florida. The Blues' lead pilot at their time was my neighbor , and the slot pilot (5) at the time gave me his old bedroom set, which my computer is sitting on currently. No matter how close to the Blues I have always been, they do the same to me as you just explained. Pure magic, each and every time.

In fact, my house on the Air Station in florida was right in their flight landing pattern and every day would end with them flying at 150' right above the house. Never once did it get old. Pure magic.

Would you mind if I forward your words over to the Blues, as they always get a kick out of someone who is moved by their demonstrations to such an extent?

Keep the Magic Alive,
-Chase

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I am from their home base in Pensacola, Florida. The Blues' lead pilot at their time was my neighbor , and the slot pilot (5) at the time gave me his old bedroom set, which my computer is sitting on currently. No matter how close to the Blues I have always been, they do the same to me as you just explained. Pure magic, each and every time.

In fact, my house on the Air Station in florida was right in their flight landing pattern and every day would end with them flying at 150' right above the house. Never once did it get old. Pure magic.

Would you mind if I forward your words over to the Blues, as they always get a kick out of someone who is moved by their demonstrations to such an extent?

Keep the Magic Alive,
-Chase

Go for it mate. I don't mind a bit. They reawakened something in me, and it is kinda a big deal as far as I am concerned.

L

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
There are too many people around worrying about the things in magic that don't matter.

Such a disheartening truth.

What you describe is what I and many others have attempted to teach others when we say that magic IS real. For some odd reason today's magic buff becomes very jaded and arrogant, refusing to look at the more fantastic idea as to what magic is supposed to be... what it was for us back when we didn't know diddly. Rather than watch a fellow performer do his/her thing and appreciate it for what it is, we sit back critiquing them and for some, we spoil the experience when we are with others... kind of like those that have seen the movie before and keep telling you what to watch out for... :(

My experience, akin to what you have shared, was seeing my grand-daughter for the first time (not to confuse folks but I did play Mr. Mom many times over the years). . . LIFE IS MAGIC if we'd just get out of the way and see it... live it!

When we, as performers, strive to create that same sense of astonishment and awe in the minds of our patrons THEN we have become genuine magicians rather than someone that does some neat tricks.;)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results