What is he doing here and where can I learn how to do this?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Ah, Shade. An underrated movie.

Depends on which part you mean. The ace production is nifty but I don't know if it has a name.

Otherwise it's basic gambling demonstrations. Card controls, false shuffles, false dealing.

I can't remember if the specific multi card control they're mimicking (I doubt he actually did it) is in Erdnase, but I do know the false shuffles and bottom dealing are. They are all probably covered in Gambling Sleight of Hand by Steve Forte if you want to make the serious investment. I have it, but I haven't read it yet.

Reactions: JohnB11124
Mar 31, 2019
Ah, Shade. An underrated movie.

Depends on which part you mean. The ace production is nifty but I don't know if it has a name.

Otherwise it's basic gambling demonstrations. Card controls, false shuffles, false dealing.

I can't remember if the specific multi card control they're mimicking (I doubt he actually did it) is in Erdnase, but I do know the false shuffles and bottom dealing are. They are all probably covered in Gambling Sleight of Hand by Steve Forte if you want to make the serious investment. I have it, but I haven't read it yet.
I remember seeing somewhere where He (Vernon) was serious about learning it and was practicing everyday etc. But yeah I'm referring to the exact thing he is doing the ace production, shuffles and all.

It looks similar to the multiple shift that Jason England teaches. I'm just not as familiar with it all. Maybe hes using a breather?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Keep in mind that this is a movie. Faking it is an absolutely normal procedure for movies.

Also Jason England was a consultant on this film.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
This isn't quite my wheelhouse so unfortunately I can't rattle of the list of name of each version of the moves for you, but I'd start with Expert Card Technique for the cuts. Expert at the Card Table and Marlo's Revolutionary Card Technique should get you the rest of the way there. I don't have the Forte book suggested above but it is almost certainly worth looking at and the Jason England videos are of course good too. The Ace production looks like normal stuff and should be quite doable regardless of which version of a sleight you might use. A breather would be good, but shouldn't be completely necessary.

If you don't have any of the books above I'd start with Expert Card Technique. Card College is best overall, but for this you'll need vol 2 and 3 in which case you may as well get vol 1. So it's a lot all at once.

Reactions: JohnB11124
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results