What is magic?

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
I want to know what do you guys think is magic.?>

real magic for me is that look on the espectator face that look that tells you i believe..for me magic is the gifth to fooled but yet amaze some one at the same time . i cant write the hole thing cause im going to make a essay on this .

what do you guys think is magic.???

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
My idea of magic is allowing someone to take a step away from reality, a small jaunt where they can for a few minutes forget about their problems and enjoy themselves.

-ThrallMind

Oct 24, 2007
I want to know what do you guys think is magic.?>

real magic for me is that look on the espectator face that look that tells you i believe..for me magic is the gifth to fooled but yet amaze some one at the same time . i cant write the hole thing cause im going to make a essay on this .

what do you guys think is magic.???

you took the words right out of my mouth
when i get an awesome reaction i can see that my hours of work have paid off and do mean something :)

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
Magic is the art of concealing the dirty little secret that your audience is really, really stupid.

I'm going to catch hell for that, but honestly, the trick itself - knowing the card - is cheap. It's the presentation around it where the magic happens, and that magic is convincing people that the REAL trick was knowing what card you gave them.

Taken from my thread "Magic As A"

Magic as an Escape

Magic, my escape boat out of this place we call reality. Having tough times? Parents fighting? Bad things are happening? I will usually run and go in front of my computer and make a couple of magic videos.

I use my magic as a diversion from everything that is going wrong around me. It makes my body flow with excitement and happiness even in the worst of times. Just standing there practicing my ACR will bring joy to me. I know magic may not seem like that to everyone, but it is my escape, my hapiness.

For example, my grandfather just passed away, I cried but I knew I just couldn't willow away in my sadness, I had to get up and get going. Where did I turn, magic. The night I found out he passed away, I made 2 magic videos. Even the simplest of things, in the hardest of times, brought joy to me, that day.

So I am just saying that if anything goes wrong, or if you just feel down one day, go to your room, pick up a deck of cards, and do some magic. It will bring a smile to your face everytime. It did for me!

Magic as History

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can learn history from school, from history books, but you'll never find magic history in the encyclopedia, or world history. Ever since I started to do magic, I learned soooo much about history I never thought I would know.

When my mom bought me my first book with magic history, David Blaine Mysterious Stranger, I thought it would be a biography, but it tought me things I was amazed to lean about other magicians.

Most people, once again, I will say it, think it's a hobby, but I doubt any of those people thought that you could learn incredible fun, and valuable information from this so called "hobby".

Magic is an incredible learning source, not just for tricks, but about different magicians who changed the magic community, and influenced us in ways never imaginable.

Magic as a Story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming you are all saying... ANOTHER MAGIC AS A...... well.. yes.. another one. I have covered attractions and escapes. Well... you guessed it, my next one is STORY! Whenever I perform magic, I always, almost always try to tell a story along with the trick.

Incorporating stories with a routine or a trick makes it seem more realistic. It will also get the spectator more immersed with your trick.

Try telling a story about a magician a long time ago and what happend to him while performing this trick, or like how Brad tell the story about a guy looking at him over his shoulder and flipping the deck while he performed Triumph. Doing these kind of things will get the specator listening and intrigued, egging you on to see more.

I will usually talk about a Heckler or tough cookie bringing me down one night, it gets them thinking that I am not that good of a magician, but then you finish the trick leaving the spectator dumfounded and in awe.

Try something if you haven't told stories in you routines before. Before you tell the story look up at them, then after or during story, look up at them again and watch their faces, they will look different. They will be more immersed and invovled with it listening intently to find out what comes next.

Magic as a Profession

Ok, well I'm back once again. I dunno, this is number what already? Well anyways. Here we go!

The next time you say I want to be a magician when I grow up and someone says, PFFT, yeah right, you can't get a job being a magician, stare them in the eye and spit on them. Not really! But just laugh and show them all different magicians who actually made a decent living doing what they love.

I know that I will do magic for the rest of my life, and maybe even make it my profession, either it being my own television show, doing events, huge shows, or having my own magic shop. If it will be any of those, I will be happy.

If any of you guys want to do magic for a living, don't let other people bring you down and tell you it's impossible to make a living on that. Just remember Houdini, Dai Vernon, Brad Christian, many people on Ellusionist with jobs as magicians, and other people who might run magic shops near your homes. Think of them and how they do magic as a living.

Magic as an Attraction

Magic seems to be doing everything for me these days. It brings me hapiness in hard times, gives me good grades in English class (alright), and a new one... it brought me love.

It didn't just happen to me, I know many other people who experienced love at first sight using magic. Let me give you an explanation of Magic as an Attraction.

I went to a party at my friends house thinking it would be lame, little did I know it would bring me one of the loveliest days of my life. I performed some magic to a girl there who I've liked forever, but she hasn't really noticed me much. So I performed my magic. A couple of hours later she asked to speak to me privately in another room. I went with her wondering what this was all about... when we arrived at the room, she kissed me.

She said that when I did my magic, she saw a part of me she never knew. She said I acted different and she loved the way I acted.

What I am saying is that magic is just something to do as a hobby. But it can do much more. It can bring love, joy, happiness, friendship, fun, laughter. Magic shouldn't just be considered as a little thing to do on the side of time. But if you work hard enough, it may bring you what you've always wanted!

Magic as a Comedy
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who hasn't seen comedy in magic? I mean, without a little comedy, magic would be as dull... as a dull.... knife? Yeah that's right. Here is Magic as a Comedy.

Just like magic as a story, if we don't incorporate a little comedy, people will just walk away because it's so boring. I put different types of comedy to either misdirect the specator, or to get him or her more intrigued.

There are many different styles of comedy, but I prefer randomness. You all may have already noticed, I can be pretty random from time to time. Maybe that might make you think I'm immature, but it is my favourite type of comedy.

It doesn't really matter which type of comedy you use, it just has to fit your routine perfectly. Because if you are doing a Levitation, don't say "So why did the chicken cross the road...." That wouldn't be very appropriate for the type of magic you are doing.

What I am saying with this is that, if you put some comedy in your routine, the spectator will leave with a great magic act in their memory, and a couple of laughs.

Magic as an Excercise
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, I'm back and kickin it! Well here come Magic as an Excercise.

Magic it excercises your thumbs, makes them stronger and such. Nah. Not really, but what magic does excercise, is your brain. It makes you think, you can't just do magic without thinking, you always have to be in control of the situation, therefore, meaning, you have to think!

Let's say you are doing your ambitious card routine and the spectators and grabbing and touching, you have to think, control the situation. You have to practice how to stay in control and what to do.

Even if most of you think excercise is with body parts, WRONG!! Your mind has to be intact for the events coming up in the future.

If you can't think, you will mess up your whole routine, so you have to practice different exercises to control your spectators.

Magic as a... Way of Life.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I'm back... even if you guys haven't really been replying. I will always add to this thread when I come up with ideas.

Magic, I can't go a day without picking up a deck of cards, coin or any gimmick I have lying around. It is just that magic is a part of me now, and it's stuck with me forever.

I wouldn't call magic an addiction to me, more of an... addiction? Hehe. Well, it's just that even when I don't have a deck of cards I will find something else to improvise or do magic with.

Magic is just too much a part of me for me to let it go. Sometimes I think to myself... Am I going crazy over magic... or am I addicted? It's the first one.

Magic is a part of all of us just like eating. We have to do it or else our "Powers" will be lost. Without our excessive practice, we would just be making stuff up on the spot. And I can say for all of us, that is not a good idea.

Mitchell

Magic as a Healer

No, I can't help you recover from the flu with my magic, and no, I can't cure any disease out there, but any magician can make a victim feel so much better.

I was in a little village near my house performing magic. I was performing for a woman and her daughter. After talking to the mother, I found out that her daughter was extremely sick. I wasn't sure if it was contagious, but she looked quite depressed, and down. She wasn't talking much, she was very pale and had trouble speaking. I noticed that she did not smile at all throughout the time I was talking to her mother. I wanted to help, but sadly I couldn't. I think she was 12 or 13 years old. I started my magic, and after the first trick, I noticed a small smile creep across her face. At the end of the routine, the girl was screaming, jumping and looked incredibly excited. In a way, I did help.

I mean, magic can help people in so many ways, not only is it a great entertainment tool, it can really change a persons day and the way they feel. This may compare with Magic as an Escape, but this was for someone else, not myself.

Seeing someones personality completely change is the greatest feeling. I'm glad each and everyday that I do magic for the sake of others.

Magic as a Form of Entertainment
-----------------------------------------------------
This thread was made to inform you that magic is MORE than a form of entertainment, but it still IS a form of entertainment no matter how much we say otherwise.

Like a movie, a concert or a broadway show, magic still entertains us and our spectators, everyone surely agrees on that. Every time you see an amazing reaction, the screams, the jumping, the laughing, the yelling, your spectators, are entertained. Simply from magic, a great form of entertainment.

"en·ter·tain·ment

Something that amuses, pleases, or diverts, especially a performance or show."

Read that simple definition, and it will explain why magic is a form of entertainment. Next time you're out performing, ask your spectator if they were amused, ask them if they were pleased, ask them if they had fun... if they say yes to all of these, then magic is a forum of entertainment. If they say no, then you need to work on your presentation buddy!

I just wanted to bring this up, because there are endless discussions on how magic isn't just a form of entertainment, that is true, but we seem to forget, that it IS a form of entertainment, and we shouldn't forget it.

Magic as a Friendship

As some of you may know, Ablaze recently moved to Quebec for the year, and this is my first magic "friend" that I've had, we've met up a few times and have sessioned, performed on the streets, and filmed some stuff. Having a friend in magic has enhanced my skill and performance to a whole new level.

People have different personality traits, and our performance styles and skills are COMPLETELY different, and having a friend who I can do magic with only enhances my magic.

This is a recollection of the first time we met:

Ablaze (Alex) is in Quebec on an exchange trip for a year. We met two or three weeks ago but the weather wasn't ideal for street magic... Neither was today. I met Alex at the bus stop and we walked back to my house. Once we got there, we discussed some methods for different tricks of ours, it was fun. We then started to film for a DVD. It went well, we had some laughs.

Later on in the day, the weather cleared up and it was a lot clearer, still relatively cold, but clearer and ok for street magic. We packed up our things and got ready to perform. The performance area wasn't the best, there weren't many people, and the people we asked, mostly said no. But there were two people who said yes. The first was mine, it was a husband and wife... The husband didn't seem to enthusiastic, but the wife had fun. We asked if we could film them, but they didn't want to be filmed. Plus I had to speak french.

The next people were for Alex. It was a mother and son which I was envious at Alex for getting them, but what could I do. They were English which helped Alex because he doesn't know much french. The boy seemed like he really wanted to be filmed, so I took out the camera and turned it on. Man, the kid had some great reactions, as did the mother. I had a smile from ear to ear behind the camera, and I could see Alex's face was in the same shape. Alex is from Iceland, and I think this was his first street performance in a while and in Canada, I was so happy for him.

Later, we went out with my friends for dinner to a cool restauraunt. We performed magic for them and got some laughs from each of them. My friends absolutely loved Alex.

Magic as an Inspiration
-------------------------

Recently, I had performed at a birthday party and a young boy came up to me and told me that he wanted to be like me, and that I had "made him want to do magic too". This was the first time I've had some be inspired by my magic. He didn't ask how to do the tricks, he just said he'll try his hardest to become a magician like me. I was so happy when I went home on the bus and couldn't stop thinking about the words he said to me.

Magic is an inspiration to many people, not just for magic, but to engage in a hobby, or do something that really interests them rather than doing the same old thing every day. That is exactly what happened to me when I started in magic, I watched shows of people who didn't follow the ordinary path of doing the same old thing. I wanted to do something different, something that can change the way people think, and for me, that was magic.

I hope that boy is practicing his hardest to learn magic or another hobby right now, and even if he isn't, perhaps he'll remember my performance until he decides what he really wants to do.

Magic as a distraction...

Throughout this entire essay I showed how great magic could be, but what are the downsides to magic? You all must be thinking,

"There are no downsides to magic"
"Burn him at the stake"
"Hang him by his nuts"

Well before you do anything drastic, please realize that I barely passed high school, because of magic . I was so into magic, every class I'd be deep into thought about latest creations and new patters. You must all remember that there is a time and place for everything. Class is NOT the place to be thinking about magic, even if you are tempted to do so. You have to pay attention to school because if not, you may fail.

I left high school with a 69% average. Had I not put the cards down and spent every waking hour studying for finals I would have flunked out. No joke. Throughout your entire school year you must set time aside for school and magic. If you have to cut down on your magic, then SO BE IT. If it helps you do well then it's the best thing to do. Because while there's a pile of new Guardians, there's a pile of books waiting to be filled out and studied for YOUR benefit. It is preparing you for YOUR future. I guarantee you that I'm not the only Theory 11 member that has had the same problem with school because of magic.

Now I'm in College and perform only once I feel satisfied with the paper I have due or the test I have coming up. If I'm not satisfied with my work, then I have to put magic aside for a few more hours or even days. I'm not saying to NOT do magic, but do it in moderation, just like you eat cake. You don't devour the entire wedding cake, you have a bit and save some for later.

Please take this post seriously.

Magic as A Language....
-------------------------------

It happens so often that I run into a tourist who wants to see magic. Most of the time the tourist can speak and understand English, but other times, they have know knowledge of the language. In these cases, I let my magic do the talking for me. I know, cards don't talk, coins don't give instructions, etc. But the highly visual nature of the art of magic allows for no words to be spoken. Simple sweet silence is all one needs to convey our message and to show what we are trying to portray.

Whether your native language is English, French, Spanish, Italian, Antarctican, etc., it truly does not matter. Magic speaks for you and magic creates emotions so special that they will not forget it. To create emotion, wonder, and amazement is a language in itself. To talk to people on this emotional level is a form of language. You are literally creating a feeling within your spectators. This is a true form of poetic language.

I've always been fond of performing to ANYONE, and sometimes it's best to just keep your mouth shut. Not in a bad way, but look at some of the stage performers who don't speak, like Jeff McBride or Florian Zimmer. I'm not saying NEVER speak when performing to spectators, but once in a while, it's O.K. to let some of your magic speak for itself.

Mitchell

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results