What Is Magic

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
The definition of magic describes that magic is accomplished using supernatural forces.
I don't have “super natural” abilities. I can in no way shape or form contact those who have come before us. Everything I do can be explained. It just may not be portrayed that way. If I do something that seems impossible to you, it is because it is -at the time-. With most things, it’s not “possible” until it's done, or until it's learnt and taught.

What do you believe "magic" is

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The definition of magic describes that magic is accomplished using supernatural forces.

I typically use the classic force or a riffle force. However, the supernatural force would be a great name for a sleight.

The enjoyment of the illusion that is not reality.

Jul 26, 2016
For me, magic is a means of entertaining people, of bringing joy and fun and laughter to them, or to intrigue, uplift or inspire them. It is true, as @Gabriella J points out, we do not possess supernatural abilities. Yet we are each playing the part of one who can work wonders. People know that actors in movies, on television and in plays are only playing a part. But good actors have the ability to induce people to suspend their disbelief, to fascinate or amuse them, to evoke their emotions, and to draw them into the story. I think the same is true of a good magician. I have always liked Robert Houdin's observation that "a magician is an actor playing the part of a magician." And, if we play that part well, we can truly move our audiences and give them a special, even unforgettable, experience.

Reactions: Gabriella J
Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
For me, magic is a means of entertaining people, of bringing joy and fun and laughter to them, or to intrigue, uplift or inspire them. It is true, as @Gabriella J points out, we do not possess supernatural abilities. Yet we are each playing the part of one who can work wonders. People know that actors in movies, on television and in plays are only playing a part. But good actors have the ability to induce people to suspend their disbelief, to fascinate or amuse them, to evoke their emotions, and to draw them into the story. I think the same is true of a good magician. I have always liked Robert Houdin's observation that "a magician is an actor playing the part of a magician." And, if we play that part well, we can truly move our audiences and give them a special, even unforgettable, experience.
That makes sense. But I think there is always this foggy cloud of trust and deep skeptical disbelief surrounding the title of the magician.

Perhaps that could be a reason why it is one of the lesser respected art forms.

Aug 15, 2017
I don't have “super natural” abilities. I can in no way shape or form contact those who have come before us. Everything I do can be explained. It just may not be portrayed that way. If I do something that seems impossible to you, it is because it is -at the time-. With most things, it’s not “possible” until it's done, or until it's learnt and taught.

It is really interesting that altho we magicians contact the spirits all the time, we only want some more help on our ambitious card routine. Think big guys, come on!

Next time I email the spirits, I am gonna ask for improvement tips on my DL. Because that is really necessary in everyday life and really helps one move one step ahead of the most powerful people too.

And what is magic? Of course it is contacting the spirits! The only thing is that, this truth has come out on a public forum and now, all of us will die!
I will never forgive you for this...

Jul 26, 2016
LOL! Well, I finally found the secret to the perfect double lift and pass, as well. All I had to do was sign this short contract. The magician who bestowed the power upon me to do these moves flawlessly just appeared out of the flames. What a great illusion! Must have been a gigantic piece of flash paper! He seemed like a really nice guy. He had an interesting stage costume too - one like I'd never seen before. It was like this skin tight red suit, and he had these horns, a tail, the tip of which was shaped like the ace of spades, and a weird wand that looked like - well - a pitchfork. After i signed, he smiled and said, "We'll meet again. Meanwhile you are going to be able to do one hell of a double lift and pass."

You know, come to think of it, he didn't give me a copy of the contract and I don't even know what it says - but who cares?

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results