What is the best ACAAN?

Jul 30, 2015
AshTheMagician, you seem to be looking to find a way to buy the so-called "holy grail." It's not going to happen. Josh has already given you the best advice you'll probably ever get in this thread. You can continue to research ACAAN as much as you want, but I suggest you opt to follow the advice you've been given already and just grab an ACAAN routine you can make work.

Jul 30, 2015
Sure. And here's a tip and clarification. There is no "holy grail." That's why you can't possibly find it. Nobody is keeping it from you since it doesn't exist.

Sep 15, 2015
Is it ACAAN if I shuffle the named card into position or strictly speaking is a true ACAAN essentially instant?

I can't go into detail but this AACAAN need some preparation and then you can perform anytime, anywhere instantly.

Dec 29, 2011
I can't go into detail but this AACAAN need some preparation and then you can perform anytime, anywhere instantly.

Thats not what the question was.

I would say the definition of ACAAN is in its name, Any Card At Any Number. If there is a given card and it is found at a given number, that makes it ACAAN.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Thats not what the question was.

I would say the definition of ACAAN is in its name, Any Card At Any Number. If there is a given card and it is found at a given number, that makes it ACAAN.

Thanks, hope to have mine ready to show soonish and didn't want to call it the wrong thing...

Apr 19, 2015
Florence, Italy
let's be clear about it: ACAAN is an effect for magicians. For a layman this trick looks impossible like every other effect, for a magician this trick looks impossible period.
Simple tricks like the chicago opener or the biddle trick will trigger the same emotion, in my opinion.
The boundary set for a proper ACAAN ("shuffled" deck that isn't touched by the performer) can of course be broken, cause what the people remember is not exactly what the people actually saw.
Keeping that in mind, if you want the impossible, 99% of the ACAAN is the presentation: you have to convince the audience that you are performing a miracle.
Now the dirty work: as any ACAAN, after you've displayed that the cards are in random order, you ask for a card, then for a number. There's just one thing you need to do now, and the most clever way to do it set the parameter for the best ACAAN.
For me, Asi Wind's performance hits the point. You can come up with your own personal story to build the climax, slow the spectator's count cause they always rush, and you're done, your tribute to the Berglas effect (i don't know if anyone else mentioned the creator of the trick).

There are of course other ways to attain the effect, but they are very unorthodox, as the work on unconscious staging.
i won't consider them cause they may even fail, and don't feel satisfying.

I'm no expert, but feel free to ask if you have any question

Reactions: Lindel
Jul 30, 2015
let's be clear about it: ACAAN is an effect for magicians. For a layman this trick looks impossible like every other effect, for a magician this trick looks impossible period.

I don't understand this line of thinking, though I've seen it expressed before. And no magician who has an ACAAN successfully performed on them is going to think that the trick is "impossible" unless the performer gets lucky (but then the obvious answer is just that the performer got lucky.)

This is pretty simple logic. If we eliminate the luck, then a move is required. So absent the occasional lucky case in which no move is required, you just have to figure out how to do the move. If you miss the move, that's fine. But no magician is going to think that the trick is "impossible".

Jul 30, 2015
There are of course other ways to attain the effect, but they are very unorthodox, as the work on unconscious staging. i won't consider them cause they may even fail, and don't feel satisfying.

If you're performing an ACAAN which might fail, you should have outs which are satisfying. For the record, Asi Wind has outs which will be satisfying if he's performing an ACAAN which might fail.

Apr 19, 2015
Florence, Italy
If you're performing an ACAAN which might fail, you should have outs which are satisfying. For the record, Asi Wind has outs which will be satisfying if he's performing an ACAAN which might fail.

It's more like mentalism to me. Plus, i'd perform other effect than an ACAAN since you have 2 degrees of freedom here.

I don't understand this line of thinking, though I've seen it expressed before. And no magician who has an ACAAN successfully performed on them is going to think that the trick is "impossible" unless the performer gets lucky (but then the obvious answer is just that the performer got lucky.)

This is pretty simple logic. If we eliminate the luck, then a move is required. So absent the occasional lucky case in which no move is required, you just have to figure out how to do the move. If you miss the move, that's fine. But no magician is going to think that the trick is "impossible".

I get your point, if it can be performed it can be done..
Yet, note that you can now access to some nice ACAAN. Many years ago the only reference of this trick was on the Berglas' book, which i think it didn't even explain how to perform it (and his version is yet to be discovered), and that made the ACAAN impossible (or legendary). Back to the present time: you can perform to me any effect you want, from the most visual transposition to the most classical triumph, but a good place in my heart would be reserved for a good ACAAN.
Would a spectator feel the same? I don't think so, from their perspective everything is amazing.
I name a card, and a number, and if i deal cards i'd find the chosen card at the chosen number: for a layman it's cool, no doubt.
For me? It's magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results