What kind of camera is it?

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City

We used to use FX1's from 2007 to 2009, but recently upgraded to full frame high definition cameras to take quality up 47 notches. Genesis was the first project we shot using this new equipment. The difference in workflow means that it takes us about 3 times as long to do anything. But the difference in clarity sets our production quality - I believe - in a league of its own.

If you're just shooting casual performances of magic, your easiest bet would be a handheld, pocket camera like the Kodak Zi8 or Flip Mino HD - that way you can carry it around and record a performance whenever the moment strikes.

Bayme, you should offer HD downloads. If not full HD, Micro-HD or mHD. Otherwise shooting with HD cameras is kinda pointless if we dont get the end product in HD. I understand it still makes a better picture when down scaled to SD, but HD rules.

J.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Bayme, you should offer HD downloads. If not full HD, Micro-HD or mHD. Otherwise shooting with HD cameras is kinda pointless if we dont get the end product in HD. I understand it still makes a better picture when down scaled to SD, but HD rules.

J.

Interesting thought. We launched in 07 and technology (and internet speed) has certainly improved a bit since then. The main (only) reason why we haven't done so already is to try to reach a happy medium of filesize and download speed. We'd rather the image quality just be "great" and download quickly, than the image be "perfect" and downloading for hours. Perhaps we could offer a choice - or reach a happy medium. Definitely something we could discuss internally and consider.

Apr 12, 2010
:D thank you very much Mr-Moo and JB!!
I think I can start with Kodak zi8.
I've done some research for that one, nice quality and easy to carry around.

Nov 3, 2009
there wouldnt be much of a reason to offer full HD downloads. This isnt something youre watching on a huge TV, except for the few people who are, and even so, an increased quality/resolution isnt going to make learning anything easier. also to add this isnt something youre watching because its pretty. therefore making full HD useless to offer to end users. It does provide a better viewing experience when scaled down and more wiggle room when editing, but offering a 2 hour video requiring a 4gb (average for 720p) or 10gb(1080p) is not only a waste of time for the end user, but RIPS T11 bandwidth.

you can decrease the issue using torrents, or another sort of distributed network, but then you have the problem of piracy.

We used to use FX1's from 2007 to 2009, but recently upgraded to full frame high definition cameras to take quality up 47 notches. Genesis was the first project we shot using this new equipment. The difference in workflow means that it takes us about 3 times as long to do anything. But the difference in clarity sets our production quality - I believe - in a league of its own.

If you're just shooting casual performances of magic, your easiest bet would be a handheld, pocket camera like the Kodak Zi8 or Flip Mino HD - that way you can carry it around and record a performance whenever the moment strikes.

Mind elaborating on what full frame HD you use? I ask because I am a film student and such things are beautifully nerdy goodness for me.

Thanks,

-C

May 18, 2008
I would recommend getting a Flip Mino to start with. They're cheap, very portable, and the quality is amazing for such a tiny camcorder. Here's a video I made with it:

http://www.vimeo.com/9743904

Note: It's not magic related, but in my opinion still quite amazing.

No. Don't.

Flip Mino's are great, but for the same price (cheaper in most cases) you get better quality and SO many more features with the Kodak Zi8.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results