What made you pick up a deck of cards?

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
I saw my cousin pour salt out of his hand....when he just showed me his hand was empty. ( In now know he was using a TT) I begged him to teach me the trick...but it was useless. He taught me a key-card trick....I performed it the next day at school. I was hooked on magic....it was a natural high that is addicting, and good for you.

From then on out...I was a performer!

I got grounded to my room when I was 5 years old, and all I could do was sit on my bed. Most parents would allow you only to read, but I love to read, so I was grounded from that too. So as I was sitting there on my bed, I started to concentrate on a match lying in my floor (yes a match was in a 5 year old's bedroom....i'm a pyro, what can I say), when all of a sudden, it spontaneously combusted! I had lit a match purely with my mind. I looked into this noble craft, and was eventually bending metal without touching it, levitating the family pets, and pulling tigers out of people's ears. Now I make a living as a true mystifier. I work with no gimmicks or sleight of hand, just PURE. REAL. MAGIC.

Of course you should all know by now that the story I just told you is complete bull****.

Anthony Bass

Dec 13, 2007
There is a long chain that lead to me starting magic...

One day I was bored and just looking around youtube and I think one of the featured videos was "my parrots tricks" so I clicked on it and it was stupid. But, on the related videos column there was a video that advertised Rich Ferguson's "Chip tricks" dvd. After watching a few of the tricks on youtube I decided to buy his DVD's which contained chip tricks, card stunts, shuffles and cuts, and flourishes. It was sort of like a thing for poker players. (at first I thought he was an amazing flourisher, but compared to all the other people out there, like dan and dave, or daniel madison... he sucks) Anyway, on the chip tricks DVD he taught the muscle pass (very badly) (and I still cant do it today) so, looking for a better explanation, i went on youtube, which led to links of all different magic tricks, which eventually led me to clips of David Blaine. And the rest is history...

Yeah... It's ironic how much YouTube changed my life... Now when I'm not in school I'm either Doing homework, hanging out with friends, or Doing Magic.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Well, I'm amazed that a big part of u started with flourishes, I mean u saw a DM trailer, the blackjack commercial, or any other flourish vid. Here's my story:

2 years ago, I was in a mall here in Maracaibo, Venezuela.. with my cousin and he told me hey lets go to that store, he is a magician, and we went there, and there was a guy performing some color changes and some sponge balls tricks and I was like OMFG are you a really magician.. and I was completely amazed, I bought some tricks, but I wanted to know card magic.. I went to that place like a month every saturday, and once I noticed that they had a 3 dvd set where I could learn card magic, I was OMG finally I found them ;) I bought all of them, and started practicing some self- working routines, but I knew the tricks that everybody in that magic shop knew, so I asked them where did they learned those tricks, they said Internet.. and I went to my home and started searching magic at google, and first penguin magic and ellusionist appeared, I found some cool tricks, and I went to that place, and performed Dr. Daleys last trick, and they were hey you are getting good, then I found metacafe, and I saw my first flourishing vid, I was O.O that is IMPOSSIBLE, I was completely amazed.. I found brian tudor show off, and I was sh*t I'll never reach this speed and get this, I remember it tooked me like 2 hours, to understand the revolution cut, it was my first cut, I learned the revolution cut even before the charlier, and it was difficult to learn because the cut was explained in english, and I had to try to understand and follow I was only 13, but I got it, and the rest is story.. =)

peace

aris

Nov 30, 2007
I have played cards for money since I was 16, so for me, cards have always been there. Working long overnight shifts in radio, I taught myself the Charlier cut and a couple of other one handed cuts. Worked out a couple of false shuffles and taught myself how to second deal and bottom deal. Then in 1996 I saw "Ricky Jay and his 52 assistants" and I've been hooked ever since.

BTW...does anyone have a good copy of "Ricky Jay and his 52 assistants"? My old VHS copy is starting to wear and I have been unable to find anything online.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I have always thought that it would be cool to learn some card tricks, however I never devoted the time to learning any. However, this summer on vacation, I had a little free time, and a deck of cards, so I figured I would go ahead and learn a few.

The end.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Ever known anyone who does not have at least one deck of cards sitting around? You'll always have the ability to amaze people wherever you are. Also, cards are cheap, and the effects you can do with them plays big.

Basically, for me its because they are easy to carry, everyone knows or has seen a deck of cards before, and they are one of the most versatile props in a magicians arsenal. Also, color changes are just beautiful.

-ThrallMind

Jan 4, 2008
Norfolk, Virginia
Ever known anyone who does not have at least one deck of cards sitting around? You'll always have the ability to amaze people wherever you are. Also, cards are cheap, and the effects you can do with them plays big.

Basically, for me its because they are easy to carry, everyone knows or has seen a deck of cards before, and they are one of the most versatile props in a magicians arsenal. Also, color changes are just beautiful.

-ThrallMind

right on man thats what i feel good points like it

Jan 11, 2008
New york
Cards?

When i started i had no you tube or a computer for that matter but i did have a uncle that did Busking magic and i help by keeping an eye on his tip bag when he performed. he gave me a deck of cards one day and showed me the classic force (which i didn't believe really worked)...after some weekends he would hand the crowed over to me so i can do that one pick a card trick.if the classic force worked i would show my prediction if it failed i went into a "key card" effect.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results