What makes someone a better magician?

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
having a better performance or a better handle on sleights?

if someone has lets say born to perform, and can do those tricks flawlessly and can entertain a crowd for half an hour or whatever successfully, and he can do that over and over, then wouldnt that make him a professional? given he KNOWS about his art, but he is not big on the wide array of sleights that are out there.

or, lets say that someone knows all of the sleights in magic and can perform them flawlessly practicing, but then his performance is mediocre. would that make him a professional magician?

youre thoughts.

this is now the cerca trova for June, lol, unless we actually get one or of course someone makes a more thought provoking thread or etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 13, 2008
Its kind of hard to define a professional. A professional could mean that you work on cruise ships or you work on big stages like Copperfield. My definition of professional is someone who gets paid to do magic.

But, what makes someone a better magician is a little bit of both. You need to have good presentation skills to keep the audience interested, but you also need to be good at the sleights so that your performance is smooth.

Sep 2, 2007
Visalia, CA
Entertainment

Its all about the entertainment. The only people who care about which sleights are being performed are only magicians. The audience just wants to be entertained. If you have have enough good patter you can only use one slight for a whole routine and dress it up as different tricks. Not only that but I've seen people who are amazingly good at sleights and have mediocre presentations, and I was personally bored, but when my friend (who knows some basics) performed, I was completely entertained and wished he would have never stopped.

I'm leaning toward entertainment.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results