what music to use for cardistry video

Nov 5, 2008
Hong Kong
hey guys i am looking to make a cardistry video and I'm looking for some free music but i dont really understand much about what type or which music to use. my video is going to be fast paced so if you guys could recommend some music that would be great!!

thx

D@n

Oct 11, 2011
Dubstep or fast paced electro house. Search copyright free dubstep on youtube then youtube to mp3 the song you like.
Dan

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
search through different music blogs (electro). Many of them have mixtapes or tracks from various artists for free.
However I would recommend to use a more slow paced music track if its your first cardistry video. Editing to a fast paced track is more difficult to pull off correctly (in my opinion).

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Don't just use a certain genre of music. Don't just use a song because you like it. Use music that fits with the overall feel that you want the video to have. Take some of theory11's videos for example. The Sentinels deck video is fast paced and awesome, while the Monarchs video is slow and intense. They're both great videos, but the music is extremely important when you want your audience to feel something without any dialogue.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Most free music still requires you to give attribution: usually the artist's name and hopefully a link back to them.

http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/ -- Incompetech is usually your best bet. You can even search by the "mood" you're looking to build on. The site also has a good reputation.

I have about a three-page essay on this question typed up, but it can't hurt to try there first.

As for the style of music? You're going to have to make this decision on your own. There is faced paced music of nearly every style. What would fit your performing style/character/persona?

Also, digital editing is awesome. If you pick a song and it doesn't work, don't worry. You're only about ten seconds away from replacing it with a new song. Try things out!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Can you explain why? Don't see the problem with using dubstep tracks or remixes. Offers alot of options to use in editing and post effects.

I'm guessing he's saying that because it's currently flooding the market and it probably annoys him, and someone mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Personally, I'm annoyed by a lot of music so I generally turn off the sound of any video that doesn't have a script unless it just happens to be a song I enjoy. The best advice in this thread is to look for music that fits the theme of what you're doing. If you want a dramatic video, use dramatic music. If you want a fast video, use fast music. It seems simple, but there's a ton of videos out there with someone doing a painfully slow assembly of a display while some crazy fast death metal blares over it.

Don't be that guy.

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
I'm annoyed by a lot of music so I generally turn off the sound of any video that doesn't have a script unless it just happens to be a song I enjoy
I hope you're not talking about cardistry videos? Music and Sound design makes up for like atleast 50-60% of the feeling of your video. Ever watched a horror film without sound? Not very scary.
It might not make much of a difference for magic videos, but watching a cardistry video which is edited to go along with the music without listenting to it?
I've watched alot of motion design reels by various designers that where underlayed with music I wouldn't listen to usually (because its just not my genre), but since the reels/videos are edited to the pace of the soundtrack its still a joy to watch because the audio and the visuals just make a great combination, even if the type of music might not be my favourite.

It seems simple, but there's a ton of videos out there with someone doing a painfully slow assembly of a display while some crazy fast death metal blares over it.
I know those videos, because I made stuff like that alot in the past. Its just part of the learning process if you get into editing. Learning the timings when a scene is to long or the pace isn't right. Thats actually the reason why I recommended the OP in my initial post to start off using a soundtrack with a slow pace. Just because its easier to start with if you haven't enough experience yet.
But taking that as a reason to completly dismiss dubstep and dubstep remixes and telling people "DO NOT USE IT" seems just stupid to me.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I hope you're not talking about cardistry videos? Music and Sound design makes up for like atleast 50-60% of the feeling of your video. Ever watched a horror film without sound? Not very scary.
It might not make much of a difference for magic videos, but watching a cardistry video which is edited to go along with the music without listenting to it?

This is veering off subject a bit, but I generally dislike cardistry videos as a genre, so yes, I mute them to minimize the amount of annoyance when asked to watch them. If they are actually edited to go along with the music, it generally doesn't annoy me so I leave it, but if it's just music playing to someone flourishing, I'll just mute it.

I've watched alot of motion design reels by various designers that where underlayed with music I wouldn't listen to usually (because its just not my genre), but since the reels/videos are edited to the pace of the soundtrack its still a joy to watch because the audio and the visuals just make a great combination, even if the type of music might not be my favourite.

There's very little music that I don't listen to. My playlists include stuff from classic rock, classical, some rap, heavy metal, folk, irish, modern celtic, country, acapella, eletronic (including a few dubstep tracks) ... I don't exclude anything until I hear it because sometimes stuff surprises me. So generally if I can't stand the music it's because it either is too loud, or something I just can't stand.

I know those videos, because I made stuff like that alot in the past. Its just part of the learning process if you get into editing. Learning the timings when a scene is to long or the pace isn't right. Thats actually the reason why I recommended the OP in my initial post to start off using a soundtrack with a slow pace. Just because its easier to start with if you haven't enough experience yet.
But taking that as a reason to completly dismiss dubstep and dubstep remixes and telling people "DO NOT USE IT" seems just stupid to me.

I'm not dismissing dubstep. That was someone else. My point was to match the music to the performance. I actually use some dubstep in my fire performances.

hey guys i am looking to make a cardistry video and I'm looking for some free music but i dont really understand much about what type or which music to use. my video is going to be fast paced so if you guys could recommend some music that would be great!!

thx
Hi,

I'm a music composer (and magic tricks lover ;-) you can use my music for free in your videos: https://www.musicscreen.org/free-music.php
All you need to do is to give proper credits in your description..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results