Where do you want to learn magic from?

What source would you choose to learn magic from?

• DVD's

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • Books written by non-magicians

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Books written by magicians

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Be mentored by a magician

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • read it online

• youtube videos

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • google videos

• teach yourself only your own effects but no others.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • illegally download DVD's

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • None of the above...

• Total voters
So I have ecently been thinking...I do that a lot...and I have once again decided that I better post another poll. The quesion this time however is:
"Where would you rather learn magic from?"

Personally I would like to be mentored by a magician because this would give me hands on training with a wise skillful person who has devoted their life to this cause. I would think this would also be the most sufficient way to learn magic and make sure that you make no mistakes when performing.

If I couldn't do this then I would read a book written by a magician. This gives useful insite and allows us to see how a magician does their tricks as well as gives us some knowledge of that persons history.

But please vote and post why you chose what you chose. And please if you selected none of the above then write what you would do instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 28, 2007
Finland
I actually find this poll really interesting. Maybe there should be another poll as well, same options exept for being mentored by magician.

I chose books by magicians. If I had to choose only one of above, I would rather learn from many sources (many books) than from one.

Dec 13, 2007
i said that i would like to learn from a book written by a magician

this not only allow you to learn valuable lessons and tricks...but i also think that this is the best way to develop your own style... I find myself often times "cloning" other magicians patter... i even used wayne houchins patter for the invisible palm, but i have now adapted and altered it a little more

I don't think using someone elses patter is a really bad thing, and there are certain tricks (ie. phycological forces) were you have to use a certain script...but i think its very important for magicians to have their own unique style

Dec 10, 2007
I think DVDs are defiantly the best way. Because they are easy to learn from and you can always go back to them as a reference. I think learning from other magicians is the most fun way of learning magic but i dont think it is the most efficient way. I have had 4 or 5 hour conversations with magicians, and dont get me wrong i have a great time and learn a lot, but when i get back home i realize that i dont have any idea what it was we talked about or what i should work on, or where each finger exactly goes, etc.

So i would certainly say DVDs. Just as good as a book but with visual examples.

Jan 27, 2008
Lol, Dvd's take second place; books in third. Wow. I would think that DvD's would follow books in rank!

I'd love to be able to learn from a mentor, but those are extremely - extremely! - rare. As a compromise, I'll just go to live internet rooms such as MSN, Yahoo, MEBEAM.COM, etc.

It's always good to have a webcam and to find a good magician-buddy over the internet that has one, too. That's awfully close to meeting in person.

..:Z:..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results