Where to Learn Cups and Balls Routine

Feb 12, 2014
I have watched a couple cups and balls routines and was wondering where I could find a tutorial for a routine or maybe some common moves that go into it?

Sep 2, 2007
London
The routine that's become the standard is Dai Vernon's from The Dai Vernon Book of Magic. It's got all the basic vanishes and loads plus bits like the "cup through cup" penetration and the wand spin.

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
Dai Vernon is certainly an excellent resource and I would also highly recommend Michael Ammar work.

Apr 17, 2013
L&L also offer it as a download. The book and the two DVDs. The Mark Wilson Complete course in magic has a very nice starter cups and ball act as well.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Gazzo's Street Cups is a good resource, too. I used a lot of his moves.

One thing I will say is this - Learn the moves, not the presentations. Build your own presentation from the ground up and it will be more 'you'. We have enough people imitating Dai Vernon and Michael Ammar. Come up with something at least somewhat unique.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
One thing I will say is this - Learn the moves, not the presentations. Build your own presentation from the ground up and it will be more 'you'. We have enough people imitating Dai Vernon and Michael Ammar. Come up with something at least somewhat unique.
I agree with this. Cups & Balls is great because even inexpensive, off-brand resources will often have a technique or two that someone else might have missed. At least watch, learn, and get a feel for Vernon's routine. This can be found in The "Cups and Balls Booklet" with a $5 suggested price, and is typically sold for less.

Also think about your final load a little bit - assuming you include one. I think it's expected these days.. If you're doing mostly card work then maybe making three pieces of produce appear might seem strange. Look around for other items that fit your act better, if the produce isn't cutting it.

Apr 17, 2013
For final loads I use hacky sacks. I'll also use stuff crabs and sometimes I'll used stuffed bunnies since you know magicians pull rabbits from hats. Johnny Ace Palmer loads live baby chicks. David Regal final load is the red blue and yellow cups from every starter magic set. Ricky Jay does fruit and veggies. There is one magician who does pennies. Paul Gertner does steel ball bearings and a shot put. I have even seen small glasses filled with water and live gold fish.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You want to see a brilliant final load? Watch Johnny Ace Palmer load 3 "live" baby chicks under the cups at the end. Phenomenal!

Apr 17, 2013
You want to see a brilliant final load? Watch Johnny Ace Palmer load 3 "live" baby chicks under the cups at the end. Phenomenal!

I like that one but let me see if I can find the one where the guy put $2 in pennies under the cup

Apr 17, 2013
found it...
[video=youtube;yxV-uN6YTr0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxV-uN6YTr0[/video]

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I used to do a chop cup routine. My final load sequence was two of the red balls, then one large ball, then a toy elephant, then a Kinder Egg which contained a signed dollar bill which is a reference to an earlier part of my busking act. These were all one right after the other, so it seemed like I picked up the cup to reveal the two balls, then picked it up and showed the one ball, so on. Very Gazzo-esque.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results