Whiplash by Josh Janousky (amazing gaff for oil and water routines)

Dec 1, 2012
TX
www.youtube.com
Title: Whiplash
Creator: Josh Janousky
Publisher: Murphy’s Magic Supplies
MSRP: $ 20
Skill Level: beginner to intermediate
DVD Run time: 1 hour and 35 minutes

Type of effect: Oil & Water, Sandwich routines

Manufacturer's Write Up: Whiplash is a hyper-visual utility gimmick that will let you vanish, transpose, and transform cards. Learn Josh Janousky's signature routine with the Whiplash gimmick: Whipped Across, his take on the cards across plot. Cards visibly vanish and reappear one by one at the fingertips, the final occurring in a spectator's hands.

Also, learn an updated variation of Oil and Water, a multi-phase sandwich routine, and a Monte game with a killer kicker ending. You will receive a custom gimmick printed by the United States Playing Card Company, ready to go immediately. In addition to the four routines, Josh shares how to repair and customize your gimmick - a new feature for gimmicks of this nature. It's an entire lesson on splitting cards, and is worth the price of the download alone.

With kind permission from Mark Mason. - Thank you to Mathieu Bich and Eric Jones.

How accurate is the ad copy? No deception, this is exactly what happens.

What's in the box? Beautiful custom made gimmick on red maiden back card from USPCC.

Key points: Whiplash is angle proof and can be discretely hidden in any deck. The possibilities with Whiplash are truly limitless. See for yourself.

How are the production values: Murphy’s Magic always makes great videos – You get lots of HD camera angles, no weird background music, the talent is well mic’d. Everything is well done.

Is it well made: Kudos to Murphy’s for giving you an actual gimmick that you can use right out of the box for $20 and not the “pieces” to a gimmick for $30!

Is it well taught: Josh is a good teacher, you get performances with a spectator for all of the effects, plus patient tutorials. Josh also gives lots of kudos, thanks and credits to the people who have inspired him PLUS – there is a huge tutorial section on gimmick building and repair.

What’s in the box – This was the one thing I kinda didn’t love about the video – at the beginning, Josh shows you the gimmick, but without talking about its make up or "what makes it special.
In other words, he shows it to you and says “here it is” but doesn’t show you how to “use it” - and then the trick instructions just begin.

You will learn….

WOW – Whipped Oil and Water – a standard separation and reformation routine. #awesome

Whipped Sandwich – where the selection appears between two mates – vanishes and then leaps back into the deck face up. #killer

Whipped Across – cards across routine where the last card jumps into the spectator’s hands #sogood

Whipped Monte- easily the best trick on the download and worth the price of the entire thing.

Repairing your gimmick – or building a new one – For this section you will need the knowledge of card splitting and just about every cut, paste, scissors, knife skill in your arsenal. Plus, you will need three cards every time you build a gimmick.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" It’s going to feel like a single “thick
card – please be very careful in storing it. You could easily leave it in the beautiful cardboard box that it comes in.

Does it "play big?" These are easily some of the most beautiful “impossible looking’ sandwich and cards across tricks I’ve ever seen.

Difficulty / Skill level required: I’ll say slightly intermediate

How much arts and crafts are involved? None, unless you want to build your own card

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) Yes – and it’s 99% angle proof/

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

___X_Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

My thoughts I love this gimmick! The unique attributes that Josh has added make it a real killer. Perhaps the only downside is – you need to use the same card and mate for every trick – but that just means being careful about your performances and not “over using” the same cards.

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results