Who do you do magic for?

Mar 20, 2009
Al Wakrah, Qatar
Hey guys n gals,

As the title says - who do you do magic for?
Does your audience include only adults and teens or only kids? Or does it include both?

Some time back, I was just sitting around lazily, bored, and suddenly a thought came to my mind.
Whenever i see a magic performance video I notice that the spectators are mostly adults and teens. It hardly includes small kids. It is the same case for me. I prefer to perform for people from teens upwards and not kids.

Why do we do that? I mean, we ourselves got interested in magic just because we were exposed to magic at an early age. But when we learn to do tricks, we prefer adults.

I want to hear all of your views on this topic.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Whoever looks stressed and is in a rush. It's a hell of a lot funner that way.

Nah, Whoever is willing really, I've done magic for the elderly, as well as the young lil' rapscallions.

Gustav

Jul 14, 2008
Good discussion question. Well, I perform for any age audience. For kids, the only thing that they will understand is probably a colour change. Teens, probably hard hitting tricks and same goes out for the adults as well.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
When I'm out and about, I usually only take a deck of cards with me- therefore, I perform mostly for teenagers and adults (including young adults and the elderly). A lot of card tricks are harder to follow for younger children - the plot line, at the very least, if not the actual illusions.

I do, however, perform at parties for kids.

Sep 1, 2007
Whoever looks stressed and is in a rush. It's a hell of a lot funner that way.

Gustav

Grammar Fail.

I perform for mostly teens you're right, I don't know why, maybe because I relate easier, and adults are easier to relate to too, now that I'm nearing 18.

~Beans

May 8, 2008
England
I mean, we ourselves got interested in magic just because we were exposed to magic at an early age.

That's a pretty big generalisation, I'm sure that's not how everyone got into magic.

But to the matter in hand, yeah, I perform for adults and teens, clubs, parties, gatherings etc.

Like benjamind said, it can be hard to follow for younger children, I just prefer the interaction and reaction with older people I guess. Works a lot better for me.
:)

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
The problem is that most of us dont have access to little kids. The only time i do magic to kids is at birthday parties and stuff. But i've never done any "street magic" (i use that term loosely) to kids cuz they simply cant comprehend it. Plus, i mainly do cards and cards are not something you wanna perform for kids.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results