Who on earth would WANT to be a Magician?

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
For the reactions. For the moments. For the community. For the attention. For the accomplishment

For me. For others. For the magic.

Ty

I think the following Quote from the movie "The Prestige" says it all.

"The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder, and then you... then you got to see something really special... you really don't know?... it was... it was the look on their faces... "

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
why do Olympic runners train thousands of hours for a 10 second race? why do musicians practice a rhythm hundreds of times for a few performances?

some magicians (like myself) love to perform just to unleash the moment of astonishment, a moment they are likely never to forget. thats what theory11 is all about, unleashing the moment of astonishment. to me, its worth the hundreds of packs of cards i've gone through to perfect a routine or a sleight. magic is also fun to just sit there and practice. but thats just me
Very nicely said... Couldn't have put it better myself...

hobby for me. Nonetheless a real big hobby. I actually wanna be a heart surgeon. Magic is all about the reactions for me so in my opinion, those short moments of astonishment by the spectators are totally worth the long, tedious and occasionally painful hours or practice
Heart Surgeon + Magic = Signed Card To Heart

...And to answer you question "Who on earth would WANT to be a magician?"... well; us?

Sep 1, 2007
Bristol,England
I LOVE being fooled by magic effects, i love it when i can session with some new magician and they will fool the pants of me.

Its such a great feeling to have, feeling like a spectator.

Magic for me is an obsession, reading all about the history, learning the 'Hot' new moves on the scene or learning clever card material.

But I purely do it to give someone an experience they wont see again, the look of astonishment and wonder does it for me.

My 2 cents.

Many thanks

Danny

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
I do magic because I find it totally fascinating, even when I'm the one doing it or creating the effects. I love the artistry of it.. creation is 1,000 times harder than destruction, and I do enough destruction as it is.

Oh, and getting paid to do something I love is alright too. >:)

What a thinker

Well, in my case I like to do things other people don't like to do or think its hard or incredible. Stuff like magic, parkour, etc. Hard stuff? but magic isn't that hard, Well of course it isn't if you put your mind and time to it. But as my signature says and as Wayne said, To be able to look into a stranger’s eyes and see nothing but pure astonishment. That’s what drives us. That’s what drives all of us And that is what I think
and believe in.

But hey, that's me.

BASIL

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the full time workers, It is a means of income, it’s how we feed our families, it’s how we pay the rent or mortgage. It, in short, is a job. For others, the “part timers” it is simply a fun hobby that can be used to make extra money. These are only 5% of “magical practioners” 95% are novices, or enthusiasts. Simply put, those who just love doing magic, whether they make a dime or not. Those, to me, are the ones who have an unadulterated love of our art. They do it for the love of the art.

It sounds to me like you're trying to say that the people who earn money for performing don't actually love magic. This is miles from the truth. I earn money for about 20% of my performances (on account of street magic, which I don't earn money for). Does this mean I don't love magic? Absolutely not.

Now to answer your question, we perform because we love to. It's an escape from the ordinary. An escape from the everyday regulations. It's fun. It's exciting. We simply love to perform magic. The end.

Anthony Bass

I kind of agree with Derren Brown that there is generally a correlation between people that choose to do magic and people that feel that there isn't really anything special about them. Everyone looks for something to be good at, and magic is not only something that you can impress people with, but also entertain them. It's not always the case, but if people actually admit it, it's often true. If you're one of the opular kids, you rarely end up in magic, magic is for 'lame people'. I do cardistry so I can hardly talk, I can't even entertain people, I'm just really really really really bored :p

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
It's something you can show off anytime and anywhere as long as you have what you need with you(cards, coins, sponge balls etc).
It's like you are just hanging around with friends, maybe you are at a party with a lot of people you don't know. Playing the guitar is a way to give the evening a bit more life. I don't like playing the guitar so i picked up a pack of cards and decided to learn me some tricks.

Sep 1, 2007
Why do I do magic? its not for the reactions, or for the people. Its for me. Some of the effects I have made I will never perform. But I make them so I can prove to my self that they where possible. I only want to do what has not been done before. And magic lets me do that with out breaking the bank.

Now before someone yells at me. Yes, I like to perform, but that is not what drives me to do magic. I like doing magic for people, but thats not the main reason I do it.

Oct 6, 2007
To tell you the truth i like the challenge of learning things that are very difficult. Took me forever to learn the PASS by forever i mean 2 days. I want to be a natural in everything i strive for it. But sadly I am not. I suck at science, not good on test I can only talk good to women and do magic.
Sadly i'm a magician because it pumps me up like a sport for jocks. Something is just there weather i enjoy it or I don't my body has a need for it. My fingers always do a flourish, my mouth always spit some misdirectional word. So magic is more then a hobby is a way of life to me not in a way where I buy all the new effects but just incoporating it through my own life.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
i do it because its just my favourite thing in the world to just go and amaze someone and lighten up their day with one trick. yeah ive gotten money for it twice. the other day i showed my best friends stepdad like 3 or 4 card tricks and he gave me 10 bucks and said he liked it better than what he had seen at magic island. yeah its cool to get money but im not doing magic so i can make money. not right now at least

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
for me...my goal is to become one of the great ones. or even better, the best performer ever SEEN. I love doing magic, because i have a passion to become the best and I love to perform and astonish people. I love money as well, even though i haven't gotten any money performing yet. I love the art.

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
Its better than Yu-Gi-OH. No I'm just kidding. Really, you spent hundreds of dollars on tricks you say to youself, "I better stick to doing tricks or I just wasted my money."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results