Worn out Cards

Sep 18, 2017
Hey everyone,

So I am still very new and working my way through the RRTCM.
I have basically been using one deck since I started, and it is pretty worn out.

My question is twofold:
1. When should you open up a new deck and stop using the old worn out one?
2. What do you do with your old worn out decks?

Looking forward to replies...

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
1. Well according to The Expert at the Card Table after three hours the cards are worn and are no longer good for manipulation. Although decks are stronger now a days and can last longer, due to the stock and finish that is used.
2. One idea is that you can put your worn out deck in a box and give them to a charity.

I have learned that it really depends on how long you practice and what kind of cards you are using. Then again some people recommend rotating decks. Hope this helps :)

Jul 15, 2017
I go through about a deck every two or three days, even faster if I'm actively practicing for an upcoming show. For me....

1. When the cards lose a bit of their snap and start to stick together.
2. I put the cards back in their tuck case and then put the deck in a big box I have. Once that box is full it goes to random charities in my area that are asking for playing cards at the time.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
Give them to charity was a good one, especially if you go through many decks. If you don't go through many decks give them to younger kids/family etc. You can also learn how to make some gaffs...better to cut your teeth on cards in poor condition before you go learning from your mistakes on a good deck. Worn out decks can be good decks to practice mercury folds or torn and restored routines.

Reactions: ZackF

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Hey everyone,

My question is twofold:
1. When should you open up a new deck and stop using the old worn out one?
2. What do you do with your old worn out decks?

Looking forward to replies...

Open a new deck compare and find out. If you are starting to wonder if you need a new deck then you probably do.

I open about 3 decks a month, but it all depends on how clean you can keep them, what you are doing with them and how often you do it.

Keep at least a few old decks around for things you might want to try than can bend or damage the cards.

I keep all my old cards in a box and some day I'll be able to make a whole bunch of worn out force decks.

Reactions: Biz and RickU
Jan 14, 2017
When I decide to 'break open a new deck' the former favorites become my stock to use for practice of tears and folds; Card Warp, Mercury Fold, and the like.

Reactions: JarrettC2 and RickU

RickU

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2013
I’ve got a brick of bikes in their way to me.

I’ll be splitting my older cards to create gimmicks and gaffs - two way cards for things like Strange Travelers and the like.

I’ll probably create a new Phantom Deck

Dec 4, 2017
I tend to keep my old decks in a box. Later on if i have a crazy idea that involves making gaff or gimmick cards i have a bunch i could practice on before making the final one with new cards.

Reactions: ParkinT
Dec 29, 2017
I keep them for doing practicing bends, tears, folds etc. They also make great duplicates if you run out and happen to need one that isn’t scrutinized much. Also testing out gaffs before ruining a nice fresh deck as mentioned.

Reactions: ParkinT
Dec 1, 2017
I probably don't get as much mileage from my decks (especially "cheap" ones like bikes) as I could... As soon as a deck starts to feel a bit worn, I put it aside and use it to create gaffs or to replace cards that have been torn/signed/damaged in other ways in decks that are in use.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I used to practice with decks in all kinds of conditions so I'd always be prepared in that mythical instance of someone handing me a deck of cards and asking me to do a trick. Something the forums convinced me would happen far more often than it has, I might add.

Honestly, I open a new deck at a whim. With my job, and the fact that I don't actually use cards in my professional work at all, I'll never properly wear a custom deck out. At least not within a year or so. Instead, I use them until they start to stick or show significant signs of use (the white sides go a little brown, for instance), and then I give them away at a festival I attend that encourages gifting. Probably 30 or so decks a year. If I had a more popular social media presence I'd probably do give aways there, too.

Reactions: Thriplety
Jul 26, 2016
I use a brand new deck for every performance. This means up to twice a week at bar/restaurant gigs, and each time I perform at a special event. I like to do (a tasteful amount of) flourishes, such as the spread and turnover, pressure fan, Giant fan, dribbles, springing, and waterfall shuffle, and everything looks so much better with a new or newer deck, as opposed to cards sticking or lumping together as they do after they inevitably pick up moisture, dirt, skin oils etc. When newer, they also handle better for moves and sleights - at least for me (e.g. one-handed top palm & DL). I also feel that when cards are new it looks more professional than performing with an older, worn deck. Since I mainly buy bricks of Bicycle Rider Backs, which average out to about $2.00 per deck including (free) shipping, this is a luxury I allow myself, and it's tax deductible. I do usually break the cards in for about 15-20 minutes before performing, because when they are brand spanking new out of the box they are just too slippery.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results