Worst... day... ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2016
Sadly, the prices went up for most of the decks by $2. I'm not happy about that. If someone gave me a $50 Theory11 Gift card, I would not be able to buy as many decks. Luckily, I ordered some cards BEFORE the price went up. If only it would go back down. Well, there goes some of my interest in Theory11... or buying cards on Theory11 until the prices go DOWN.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Hey there,

While price changes are never fun, they are necessary. Each and every year our costs go up on our products. This happens in every industry, not just in the magic or playing card markets. We hold back on raising our prices as long as we can, however there comes a point where we do need to raise prices to continue producing the high quality products you have come to expect.

Most of our newer decks were already at $9.95 - Unions, Red Monarchs, Mystery Box, MailChimp, NoMad, etc - this pricing update did, though, affect older products. We always aim to keep pricing as low as possible - but all of our decks are priced well BELOW industry average. Many decks, of even half-decent quality on Kickstarter, are priced at $15 - ours are all, without exception, $9.95 or less.

While our prices (now) are still below industry average, our quality is a mile ABOVE industry average. All of our decks and tuck cases are made in the USA - not overseas - and our tuck cases use print processes and levels of intricacy beyond what anyone else is doing, including letterpress printing and super premium papers.

Thanks for your support!

// L

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2016
I understand. I am just disappointed. For every 3 or 4 decks I order, that is one deck that I could of had, if the prices didn't go down.

Seraph

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2013
Wow, an across the board increase so that most of your decks are now $9.95 is a bit much. It was only last year when you increased the price of Artisans and Medallions from $6.95 to $7.95 and now less than a year later, another $2 increase due to a rise in production costs (even on existing inventory). That's a 25% increase which is way more than the current rate of inflation. Raising the floor like this only means that future "higher end" decks will be priced at $11.95 or more. Not sure I buy the Kickstarter argument considering the type of volume that you guys do and, therefore, the economies of scale afforded you. While there may have been a boom in the playing card industry these last few years, I don't think these prices can be sustained and like the dot com craze, at some point the bubble is going to burst at which point, hopefully, prices will normalize.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Hey Seraph, just wanted to jump in here - our recent decks were already $9.95 - NoMad, MailChimp, Red Monarch, etc. Nothing changed with that. This update only affected historical pricing.

The larger point, which I think is missed in your comment and I hope - based on the history and reputation of this company - is understood: we don't take any increase lightly, and we do it only when necessary. We like keeping our prices low, but as a business, we have to make adjustments of this sort from time to time when absolutely necessary.

In this case: our decks HAVE been, always were, and continue to be the highest quality decks produced, at the lowest possible prices. Other decks in the industry have basic quality specs - mediocre design, offset printing, and not much else. They cost a fraction of what our decks cost to produce, they take a fraction of the time we spend to design - and it shows.

Our stuff is in a league of its own - we spend more time designing every aspect of everything we do than anyone else. And we spare no expense in production - using the most prestigious printers and keeping all production in the USA.

There’s a reason David Copperfield called them “the best playing cards ever produced” - we put our heart and soul into every deck we produce, from design to paper selection and printing. In addition, we often work alongside charitable organizations to support causes greater than ourselves: from charity: water to World Wildlife Fund to 826 National and the Fugees Foundation in Uganda, Ethiopia, Sudan, and Somalia.

We pour every ounce of passion we have into every product we produce. At $9.95 - less than I spent today at Starbucks - they're a crazy bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results