Worst reaction you have gotten?

May 2, 2008
I had a spectator refuse to sign a coin because they said their handwriting was bad.. After the trick was finished they accused me of using a duplicate.

Yeah, my whole job there was a mess. It's a fun bar to hang out in, but they wanted magic on the same night as their DJ, who spins rock and hip hop at a level that makes it impossible to speak over anyway. They paid well, and tips were always off the wall there, but it was rough.

Another night I was finishing up a routine and just before my finale a fight broke out about 5 feet away from me. Some kid jumped OFF the bar and someone else hit him in the face with a glass full of beer, which of course shattered and cut him up really bad.

Still, Mr. Circuit City was the worst bagodouche reaction I ever got.

Pj

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Pj: Pwnt.

Volcan: lol!

Sigh, I remember another time I performed the Biddle (I've since dropped it -.-)...

I pulled it off perfectly. *Finds the card reversed in deck.* "That wasn't my card." "Really?" "Nah I'm joking it was." *walks away* "..."

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Due in part to the places i've performed, and in part to my under prepared mind at those times, I have faced a few bad reactions. But it's all a learning curve, it really is. I've done my coins across so many times, and the first few times, before I really knew much about audience management, the last phase just fell short so many times. I hated doing it. I persevered though, and NOW, it's one of my favourite effects to perform! Irony, eh?

However, the strangest reaction I ever got, was while doing a VERY simple forced card 'mindreading' bit, where the guy just said

"you're a freak... no offense... just, weird..."

Dee's right, a simple forced card revelation REALLY can kill a layman!

For more on this type of talk, check out my article, 'Where do we stand as performers' on www.24hmagic.blogspot.com.

CL

Jul 29, 2008
b

i often perform magic for some of my friends parents, and they often say things like
"i didnt even see the switch"
and "you have such fast hands i couldnt see the move"
and i was doing fanmail by sankey, which is basically a signature transpo effect, and when i reached into my pocket and got their paper, she goes "i know he has it clipped in his hand somehow, i just dont know how he does it", and thats basiaclly it

D

Deleted member 2755

One time... I didn't even get a reaction... I was performing the Haunted Pack for a large group of people. I was about to make the cards move and someone just quickly sliced their hands between my hands and the deck and gave me a sort of stupid person look... He then said "My friend told me how to do this. You have some kind of invisible wire. Now that I did that... go ahead and do it."..... I was obviously in a bad situation I couldn't get out of.... didn't end well. I didn't even know how he know I was doing the Haunted Pack. I didn't even tell him what was about to happen.

-Doug

Feb 12, 2008
After performing "Simply Divine" by Jay Sankey for a 7th grade student at my church:

"So? You made me pick that card."

Pretty disappointing when the card isn't actually forced :(

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results