Young vs. Old

Well, the young aren't just doing magic. I see adults going around acting cool and performign to random people with no presentation whatsoever. You know, the people with eye liner, maybe a muscle T, and sometimes some chains hanging off there neck.

Obviously, some old people naturally say, " All you young kids are screwed up. Back in my day..blah blah blah" That'll never change. Young crowds will always be dissed by adults who think they know all. Whether it's magic, appearance, school, or other hobbies. Not all adults, but some.

The truth is there will always be people ruining magic in there own ways. Not just kids. Sure some will be kids, but not just kids. And it didn't just start now. Probably ever since magic was available to the public.

And like said before magic is changing. Just like everything else in the world. Change doesn't mean it's going to destroy magic. Right now were going through the "Street Magic" era. I don't really dig it, but it's not destroying magic.

And don't act as if just this generation doesn't have ethics. Probably since the dawn of magic there was a ceretain group that didn't have ethics. It is growing due to the internet, but that's life.

And as I remember, the biggest exposer to walk this earth is an adult. As you may recall, The Masked Magician. You can argue that he cheapened the art or didn't make a difference, but it was not a kid on Youtube who exposed the most tricks.

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
And like said before magic is changing. Just like everything else in the world. Change doesn't mean it's going to destroy magic. Right now were going through the "Street Magic" era. I don't really dig it, but it's not destroying magic.

I wouldn't say that magic is going through "Street Magic" era. New magicians (good point David Rysin) are going through this. New magicians are only a part of magic.

And don't act as if just this generation doesn't have ethics. Probably since the dawn of magic there was a ceretain group that didn't have ethics. It is growing due to the internet, but that's life.
I would say that "Most of the new magicians (often young) don't care agout who invented effect, only about how good reactions that particular trick gives to them" But essentially, I agree with you.

And as I remember, the biggest exposer to walk this earth is an adult. As you may recall, The Masked Magician. You can argue that he cheapened the art or didn't make a difference, but it was not a kid on Youtube who exposed the most tricks.
Biggest exposer?!?
I wouldn't say so. He revealed mostly old stage illusions, that nobody used anymore. YouTube kids are pathetic, but I don't think they are ruining magic.

By the way, what do you all mean with metaphora of little kings? I haven't noticed anything like that on Café.

Updated path to a magician:

1) They watch Criss Angel episode
2) They want to know how those tricks are done, so he searches with google
3)They end up to Ellusionist, and get hyped in. They "perform" Be Honest, What is it to a random strangers, thinking they are cool street magicians doing "2CM"
4) They find Theory11, and start dissing Ellusionist
5) They see a real professional on a gig
6) They start to value something they thought to be "old school"
7) They realise what they want as a magicians, and start doig that instead of copying others.

I have been reading through these threads and I have taken to heart some of the comments here. My thoughts on the topic are simplistic, I am 31 now and I have been into magic since I was 13 just to give you a little background on me. I can't argue with the fact that some of the elder's in magic are rude, arrogant and self-centered, but at the same time so are a great number of the teens today as well. I see a good amount of both guilty of the same things. I understand where alot of you guys are coming from, I myself have been a victim to it even now from my piers. Magic has no doubt taken a step back in many ways but at the same time I can't help but think the new ideas you younger guys are bringing to the scene is helping magic. I choose to stay here on T11 knowing you guys are younger doesn't sway that decision it's your approach that keeps me here. I keep myself open minded to everyone but at the same time I have my own thoughts and beliefs and I perform magic using old and new school techniques and I never forget the old school cause that's all of our roots regardless.

Good thread and an important one at that. We need more threads like this.
Thanks Mitchell

Shane

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results