YouTube and the Future of Magic

Though as stated previously, you can perform well enough to overcome the quality of a Youtube exposure performance, it doesn't matter. Laymen look for an answer, and will state sometimes outrageous explanations that will make us laugh at how crazy they think we do things. If they know about a pass, they'll call it out, if they know of a double lift, they'll call it out. While certainly you can bypass them by great showmanship and performance, they still can get by it. Youtube can give them ideas that then become beliefs that they will hold onto and share when they see what may or may not be it.

~PaCo

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
I know what you mean. Magic is totally RUINING YouTube.
YouTube used to be full of dumb fart jokes and videos of people hurting themselves. Now I see magic on there all the time.
When will people learn: The internet is for viewing violence and gratuitous nudity.

Seriously though...

Nobody is ruining magic. No one's that powerful. No one's that clever.

Exposure and bad teaching are totally different critters. They just hurt the same.

YouTube is a perfectly valid performing venue. There will always be people that suck.

Deep breaths. Let it go.

Killer spies, wow that makes me laugh.
As stated above, if they look it up on youtube, give them the cards and tell them to do it.
Once my cousin said, "I'm gonna look that up on youtube, what's it called?"
I said, "It's called 'boob love', look it up"
I don't think he found out how to do it. (Stigmata by the way)

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
Instead of Seeing the negative aspects of YouTube I will see the Positives
You Can see Some Classic Effects that weren't published on Video
You Can learn Original Material By people all over the world.
You can watch some Routines
Real People doing Magic-streets,bar ect
Get props or advice
Learn some commercial Tricks by the Performance of a Kid(Right?)
Or showcase your stuff
And Watch Some Magic Specials From Japan Or Korea

I could have a written an essay about the bad though
Its easier to see the Wrongs
Reveals are the thing I hate the most
Also The bad Performances
Even though I have learned from a bad one

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
i think that people who look on utube that are not into magic might get the wrong idea about it if they see these horrible performances. and i can't really say anything bad about the masked magician thing because i wouldnt have ever goten into magic if it wasn't for tht show...

Sep 3, 2007
once you learn the hindu shuffle, and the double lift, card tricks aren't fun to watch anymore.
That comment made me laugh. Anyway, the problem is not that spectators have looked up things online and will heckle you, it's that if show a person ambitious card, they search "Card goes to top of deck tutorial" and boom! There it is. Or even worse, the kids who look up magic online and then say "Thanks, I've been looking for this" practice for a few minutes, then perform.

However, I don't think this is killing our art, but all of the ammatur magicians out on the street doing tricks like ACR and fumbling cards, doesn't do much good. Anyway, our art is safe, but not in the best condition.

Apr 20, 2008
Sorry, but what do you expect to happen when you put up a 5 minute trailer for an effect and spin it as the most badass thing to ever badass, and sell it to anyone who has the cash? You expect people to _not_ tell other people how to do it?

If you want to keep something a secret, don't tell anyone how you do it.

Think about it, almost all of you are performing effects that are not original to you.

The fact that YOU know these tricks means that they are already no longer big secrets. If they were, their creators wouldn't have released them.

Yeah exposure sucks, like when I do the ashes on palm, and someone says, "OH! I saw how you do that on Criss Angel!!! That's such a lame trick!!" While the other people watching are shocked speechless. It does seem like quite a waste, but what are you going to do?

The fact of the matter is, people learn more about magic all the time. 200 years ago, the cups and balls FRIED, seriously, like strong mentalism. This of course was before the idea came into popular awareness that magic was accomplished by trickery.

This process continues. Now your average layperson knows about palming coins, they know you can "switch" things, even if they have no idea how, they know about sleeves, and they know "It's in the other hand!".

Of course, all of these objections can be overcome with good presentation and technique.

And anyway, if you are that reliant on a few simple secrets that can be exposed in a 5 minute video on youtube, I would argue that you yourself are not actually a magician, but someone who does magic tricks they buy off the internet. There IS a difference.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results