Did Anyone Notice This About Smoke And Mirrors Design?

May 9, 2008
The mirror image of Ds have a double meaning.

The Ds are actually 2 mirrors standing and facing each other. They appear to be like the old fashioned mirrors magicians used on stage. I hope this makes more sense to people now why it's designed the way it's designed. The swirls represent smoke and the Ds represent 2 mirrors facing each other.

It also happens to look like 2 Ds, standing for Dan and Dave. Obviously everyone noticed the Ds, but not the mirrors. I thought due to the name smoke and mirrors, that it would have been more obvious to people that the Ds are also mirrors.

This was a very clever design, don't you think?

May 9, 2008
Have you ever heard the saying "it's all smoke and mirrors"? Smoke and mirrors go hand-in-hand in illusions, especially old fashioned ones, so why wouldn't they have both? Yes there is a "Smoke" color scheme and a "Mirrors" color scheme. Obviously both decks have both smoke and mirrors in the design, just an inverted color scheme.

May 9, 2008
No I'm really not looking to much into this. It's pretty obvious they are mirrors. Most people won't notice that though because of how closely they resemble Ds, the psychology won't allow them to see anything else. Turn the cards sideway and they appear to be mirrors. Why do you think this is a stretch? The cards have both smoke and mirrors in the design. The Ds have legs. They happen to look exactly like old fashioned mirrors magician used on stage. See the movie "the Illusionist".

Thanks.

Apr 28, 2008
Do you have anything to back this up?

The D's are the same as in the Dan and Dave logo. This strongly suggests that they are in fact letters as why would they make themselves a logo that doesn't have their names in it? (or at least their initials).

It's possible that they decided to make the D's look like mirrors (although I doubt this).

Also, putting their name on the cards just seems like the sort of thing Dan and Dave would do.

Another thing, Dan and Dave perform a very visual and modern style of magic that is the complete opposite of traditional magic, why would they want to include a prop associated with this type of magic on their cards?

May 9, 2008

The D's are the same as in the Dan and Dave logo. This strongly suggests that they are in fact letters as why would they make themselves a logo that doesn't have their names in it? (or at least their initials).

It's possible that they decided to make the D's look like mirrors (although I doubt this).

Also, putting their name on the cards just seems like the sort of thing Dan and Dave would do.

Another thing, Dan and Dave perform a very visual and modern style of magic that is the complete opposite of traditional magic, why would they want to include a prop associated with this type of magic on their cards?

DO I HAVE ANYTHING TO BACK THIS UP??? IT'S OBVIOUS! Why isn't it obvious to you?

The D's are the same as in the Dan and Dave logo, yes! That's very true, but where do you think they got the idea for smoke and mirrors? The mirror image of D's literally look like old fashioned mirrors facing each other. Smoke and Mirrors refers to older magic, as old fashioned magic/illusions were literally "smoke and mirrors". The Jokers appear to be magicians in top hats with magicians canes, this clearly refers to old fashioned magic which was often elegant and performed at theaters where poeple dressed in tuxedos and gowns. The whole deck screams old-fashioned theater magic! Have you ever seen "the Illusionist" or "the Prestige"?

THIS IS WHY THEY WOULD INCLUDE A PROP ASSOCIATED WITH THIS TYPE OF MAGIC. IT'S THE ENTIRE THEME OF THE DECK!

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
I find it slightly (well, very) annoying that you refuse to accept the possibility that you're wrong and they're just D's. I mean, I agree that they could resemble mirrors, but I doubt it. You, however, say...

DO I HAVE ANYTHING TO BACK THIS UP??? IT'S OBVIOUS! Why isn't it obvious to you?THIS IS WHY THEY WOULD INCLUDE A PROP ASSOCIATED WITH THIS TYPE OF MAGIC. IT'S THE ENTIRE THEME OF THE DECK!

Instead of yelling at people that you're right and they're wrong for not seeing something "obvious," why don't you agree to disagree, or at least cut back on the caffeine.

Teddy out. *Snap*

Apr 28, 2008

DO I HAVE ANYTHING TO BACK THIS UP??? IT'S OBVIOUS! Why isn't it obvious to you?

The D's are the same as in the Dan and Dave logo, yes! That's very true, but where do you think they got the idea for smoke and mirrors? The mirror image of D's literally look like old fashioned mirrors facing each other. Smoke and Mirrors refers to older magic, as old fashioned magic/illusions were literally "smoke and mirrors". The Jokers appear to be magicians in top hats with magicians canes, this clearly refers to old fashioned magic which was often elegant and performed at theaters where poeple dressed in tuxedos and gowns. The whole deck screams old-fashioned theater magic! Have you ever seen "the Illusionist" or "the Prestige"?

THIS IS WHY THEY WOULD INCLUDE A PROP ASSOCIATED WITH THIS TYPE OF MAGIC. IT'S THE ENTIRE THEME OF THE DECK!

You seriously need to calm down. You look stupid shouting about some letters on a deck of cards.

May 9, 2008
I wasn't shouting letters on some cards. Someone had said "why would they include an old fashioned prop on a deck of cards?" I was annoyed that this person didn't realize that this was the entire theme of the deck.... and I wasn't shouting. I was using voice inflextion to emphasize a point, which bye the way, is obviously way over your guys heads. Squirrel, why don't we keep this about the cards instead of making it personal. Did I call you stupid? Yes, they are only cards, but this thread is dedicated to the discussion of Smoke and Mirrors and for those discuss their likes and dislikes. If you have no passion for cards, and if you have no interest in this conversation, then leave. Obviously I'm passionate about cards, and if you feel my passion is stupid, then perhaps you don't understand where I'm coming from. We're here to talk about these cards, kind of the point of the thread. If you don't have good ideas to support a counter-argument to my argument that they are mirrors, then don't add to the conversation with childish personal attacks. And don't counter this with "I find what's childish is that you were screaming about cards". Again, I wasn't screaming, that's impossible to do over the internet on a message board. It's called emphasizing a point. Perhaps next time I'll use the underline feature instead of caps.

I, myself, am annoyed that you guys are refusing to accept the idea that they are mirrors. There's a difference between "D" and "D". The first looks like just a D, while the font adjustment on the second gives the D a more mirror-like look. They aren't just D's, they are also mirrors. They have a dual meaning. D's that look like mirrors, being mirrored, also standing for Dan and Dave.

Yeah, maybe you guys are right, Why in the world would they put mirrors on a deck based around smoke and mirrors, when there's obviously smoke...but no mirrors.... um yeah ok, whatever you guys say.

I guess we'll have to wait for Dave and Dan to chime in for the final say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2008
I wasn't shouting letters on some cards. Someone had said "why would they include an old fashioned prop on a deck of cards?" I was annoyed that this person didn't realize that this was the entire theme of the deck.... and I wasn't shouting. I was using voice inflextion to emphasize a point, which bye the way, is obviously way over your guys heads. Squirrel, why don't we keep this about the cards instead of making it personal. Did I call you stupid? Yes, they are only cards, but this thread is dedicated to the discussion of Smoke and Mirrors and for those discuss their likes and dislikes. If you have no passion for cards, and if you have no interest in this conversation, then leave. Obviously I'm passionate about cards, and if you feel my passion is stupid, then perhaps you don't understand where I'm coming from. We're here to talk about these cards, kind of the point of the thread. If you don't have good ideas to support a counter-argument to my argument that they are mirrors, then don't add to the conversation with childish personal attacks. And don't counter this with "I find what's childish is that you were screaming about cards". Again, I wasn't screaming, that's impossible to do over the internet on a message board. It's called emphasizing a point. Perhaps next time I'll use the underline feature instead of caps.

I, myself, am annoyed that you guys are refusing to accept the idea that they are mirrors. There's a difference between "D" and "D". The first looks like just a D, while the font adjustment on the second gives the D a more mirror-like look. They aren't just D's, they are also mirrors. They have a dual meaning. D's that look like mirrors, being mirrored, also standing for Dan and Dave.

Yeah, maybe you guys are right, Why in the world would they put mirrors on a deck based around smoke and mirrors, when there's obviously smoke...but no mirrors.... um yeah ok, whatever you guys say.

I guess we'll have to wait for Dave and Dan to chime in for the final say.

On a forum caps = shouting, everybody knows that.

I wasn't making it personal, I was simply stating that when you appear to be shouting it makes a discussion with you impossible.

If you laid out your arguments in an easily readable and coherrent way then you would get a better response.

Stuff like
um yeah ok, whatever you guys say.
Does not help,
It makes you look arrogant.

When you have this attitude it's impossible to have a discussion, you can disagree with people without being sarcastic and condescending about it.

May 9, 2008
Excuse me sir, where is it written that caps = shouting? I apologize if you got the impression. I understand that's how most people would take it that way, I could have used the bold feature, italics, or underline to emphasize the point.

The only reason I decided to be sarcastic/condescending was because you made a personal attack and called me stupid. If you can't take it then don't shell it out. If calling someone stupid isn't personal, I don't know what is.

Here are some examples of mirrors that look like the Ds.

http://www.onewayfurniture.com/mgp-6112.html

http://www.onewayfurniture.com/po659230.html

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1430&f=25121

Trashmanf, Can you see why I would preceive the Ds look as floor mirrors? Maybe you're idea of mirrors are different than most people. There are many different sizes and shapes of mirrors. The Ds most resemble floor mirrors that magicians used on stage. A very relevant connection to the cards.

Trooper.... why do you wish you could flame people? To ostracize them? I guess you're missing the point of having discussions on message boards. The point of these boards are not to make someone look stupid, make someone feel bad, or outcast them. They are meant to promote excitement in the magic/cardistry community, and spark discussion. If you like flaming people, perhaps the Theory11 message boards aren't for you.

Sep 20, 2007
The only reason I decided to be sarcastic/condescending was because you made a personal attack and called me stupid. If you can't take it then don't shell it out. If calling someone stupid isn't personal, I don't know what is.

Every post you've posted in this thread has been condescending. For [swearword] sake, the deck is called "Smoke & Mirrors"; every person who saw these cards all looked for the same things you did. I assure you, the vast majority of us aren't blind; if the Ds really looked like mirrors, someone would have pointed it out long before you.

Trooper.... why do you wish you could flame people? To ostracize them? I guess you're missing the point of having discussions on message boards. The point of these boards are not to make someone look stupid, make someone feel bad, or outcast them. They are meant to promote excitement in the magic/cardistry community, and spark discussion. If you like flaming people, perhaps the Theory11 message boards aren't for you.

Don't pretend you're having a riveting and intellectually stimulating discussion in this thread, and don't blame me for derailing this thread off topic. That happened as soon as you decided that everyone else was wrong.

[swearword].

To quote some dude in another thread who's name I can't remember, "Mods will delete this in T minus..."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results