Deep Astonishments 2: Paul Harris, Rodney Whitlock

Aug 31, 2007
So, It was my birthday on sunday and my dad ais he'd get me something from my, I had been eyeing this baby for awhile now, and heard that it was maybe the best trick EVER put out, and a reputation maker. It's quite the pricey trick and I was hesitant to buy it for my birthday, because I also wanted to either get that or Panic, I bought this(and a deck of gamblers, another review, hint hint) and I couldn't open it until the sunday of my birthday (was purchased on the Saturday. I open the package, and all I can say is, wow.

Effect:
NO CUE CARDS! NO MEMORIZATION! NO MNEMONICS! NO LEAD-IN EFFECT! NO CARDS TO HOLD! TOTALLY ANGLE PROOF!

You display a leather gypsy envelope and a beautiful old gypsy fortune telling deck. Each has a fortune printed right on its face.

You ask the spectator to utter the name of a special someone to create a relaxed fortune telling atmosphere. Let's say her special name is "ROSE".

You then do a short three cad reading for your spectator. The first card predicts good luck. The second card indicates an impending mystery. The third card hints that this impending lucky mystery might have something to do with an envelope. Could it be referring to the leather envelope lying on the table...?

You open the leather envelope and remove a small packet of fortune telling cards. Their backs are a different color than the cards you've been using!

You slowly and cleanly deal the cards from the envelope on to the table. The first card has a large hand drawn "R" on its back. The next card an "O". The next an "S". The final card an "E"...spelling ROSE!

No one says anything for a very long time. Then a single word escapes your spectator's lips..."HOW?"

12/10

Instuctions
Everything you need and more, read through this once and it was amazingly easy to follow, no go-back-and-reread moments for me, fear indepth and straight forward, gives insight on some area and a big bonus is the patter it provides as this tricks NEEDS great patter to get the best reactions.
10/10

Gimmicks
You get a custom made wallet and deck of fortune teller cards, both nicely made, cards and the plastic coated and somewhat resemble the way Jerry's fan, i dunno why maybe cause the small border, you'll know what I mean, nothin' special about the stock but they do what they need to do and are very clever.

The wallet is quite a beauty, real leather and very well made, very mystical and mysterious looking. Perfect for the presentaton needed.

The gimmicks are well hidden and can't be seen.
10/10

Method
Wow, genious, genious, genious, genious, genious. Amazing, easy, practical I LOVE IT. I can't wait to do this trick, I had a vague idea on how it MIGHT be accomplished, it's that on crack and more. It's great, love love love it.
10/10

Difficulty
Easy, no sleights at all and just requires basic stuff, its all about the patter. Without patter the effect is nothing too special, but still kickass. Essentailly self working if you look at it that way.

Overall

hype doesn't fail, an amazing trick at every aspect, the best effect I own easily, but it might not be for everyone, its more for the storytelling type, I couldn't see Dan and dave lovers loving this but its still ****ing amazing

11/10.

wow. wowowowow.

Jan 31, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
As someone who has witnessed this effect, you will swear that under the misdirection (immense amount of misdirection ) of reading the fortunes that the magician just loads the envelope while your distracted which is untrue but the thought of that was hilarious. trick is definitely a 10/10

Aug 31, 2007
yeah ahha, but its such a good method they could pretty much burn your hands and still miss the method. It's a very good trick and the method is so well hidden, its good to have many people so they can see that you never load the wallet while they are fortune reading.

Aug 17, 2008
Thank you for the review. I always perform with a regular deck of Bicycle cards, so I was wondering if this effect could be done with Bicycle cards instead of the Gypsy deck? I'm assuming I'd still have to use the same leather wallet.
Thanks so much!

Regards,

The Wind Wizard

Sep 15, 2008
Thank you for the review. I always perform with a regular deck of Bicycle cards, so I was wondering if this effect could be done with Bicycle cards instead of the Gypsy deck?

Yes. Yes you can. If you don't want to deal with the whole "tarot reading" phase of the effect, Paul Harris has another version of the effect (which I do all the time) in his "Art of Astonishment" Series entitled "Anything Deck."

I'm assuming I'd still have to use the same leather wallet.

Nope. No wallet is necessary in the AoA version. Just a deck of regular bikes with some one time prep applied to it.

Aug 17, 2008
Edit: This post is long. In short, my question is: no matter the length of the chosen word, will the "reading" always use three cards, and could I use a Bicycle deck to accomplish it? (I understand that it is likely that the deck would have to be modified in some way)

Yes. Yes you can. If you don't want to deal with the whole "tarot reading" phase of the effect, Paul Harris has another version of the effect (which I do all the time) in his "Art of Astonishment" Series entitled "Anything Deck."

Nope. No wallet is necessary in the AoA version. Just a deck of regular bikes with some one time prep applied to it.

I believe you misunderstand my question. I have the Art of Astonishment book in which the Anything Deck resides, and have used the method to great effect. When reading the description of Deep Astonishment II, it appears much cleaner than the Anything Deck. I was asking whether or not the Deep Astonishment principle, which I am assuming is different than the one used in the Anything Deck. The description states that only 3 cards are removed from the "Gypsy" deck, when the example word, ROSE, has 4 letters. If you know the Anything Deck, you will understand that this is not possible with the regular method.
So I am asking if this new, "cleaner" method can be done with a Bicycle deck, not modified in the same way as the normal Anything Deck?

Last edited by a moderator:

Webby

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
I bought this a few years back. I performed it twice and both times the specs were blown away. There is alot you have to control on the table and every move must be done correctly. I haven't performed it since but I am thinking I should revisit this. I may incorporate this into my haunted house this year. We have a fortune teller gag that this may be good for.

Aug 31, 2007
all in all i have done this around 7 times now, people have actually left my house, and im not joking.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results