Breaking in?

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
More nooby questions from me. What does it mean to "break in" a deck? Does it mean to put fanning powder on it or something? Could someone plz clarify this for me cuz i recently bought some centurions and i found they dont feel any different than bikes. But heard that they are alot better when they're broken in. So what does it mean?

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
Essentially it is wearing out the cards a bit. Not enough to make them sticky or unusable, just a little worn, and not quite so...stiff. You can break in a deck fairly quickly by running you fingers up and down the edges of the cards, and also by giving them a few good riffle shuffles.

Hope this helps,

-PTG

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Breaking in basically means what PTG has said. Cards handle better broken in than original form.

Originally from KildredMagician's post:

Breaking in a New Deck
We all love the feeling of a new deck, but they are so stiff. Here is my method of breaking in a deck:
1. Riffle shuffling the cards face up, then face down about four or five times.
2a. Springing the cards on the short side from hand to hand face up, then face down twice.
2b. Springing the cards on the long side from hand to hand face up, then face down twice.
If you can do a one-handed shuffle, then the second half of the routine is really good for breaking in cards. If not able to do the one-handed shuffle, then repeat steps one and two multiple times.
3a. Performing the one-handed shuffle face down in the right hand.
3b. Performing the one-handed shuffle face down after rotating the deck 180 degrees with the right hand.
3C. Repeat 3a and 3b face up in the right hand.
4. Repeat step three with the left hand.
Repeat entire routine a couple of more times. Once you are done, you can put the deck underneath something heavy to flatten it out, but the deck should be flat after this work out.
I highly recommend Steps 3 and 4 for you XCMer’s here at the 3C, I do steps 3 & 4, works well.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I break in a deck by:

1. Doing a riffle shuffle face up, then face down.

2. Doing a LePaul Spread, rotating the deck 180 degrees, doing another LePaul spread, then flipping it over and repeating.

3. Springing the deck face up, then face down.

4. Riffle shuffle on the long edge of the deck. Rotate 180 degrees, repeat. Flip over deck, repeat.

Now I go through steps 1-4, except I do each step twice, then three times, then four, then five, five again, four, three, two, one. After that the deck's pretty messed up, so I stick it in my card press, and I have a darn near perfect deck in the morning!

Here are some tips from Master Fanner Webghost from HL on how to condition a deck, not so much how to break in, but conditioning to get that "perfect deck" feeling....

Ignore this post. Webghost is a HL fanboy. Just do a few flourishes and shuffles and your deck is broken in. Add some fanning powder is you want to make your deck feel better.

Jan 31, 2008
Ignore this post. Webghost is a HL fanboy. Just do a few flourishes and shuffles and your deck is broken in. Add some fanning powder is you want to make your deck feel better.

LOL, thanks J, the link was just for advice, you can break in your deck however you want.... however I'd take advice from someone who's fans look like this....

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
psshh why would you want to take advice from someone who dresses like a butler.:p
Because his fans are sexy. He could be dressed as a hooker for all I care.

But as for webghost's method, I reckon it's taking it too far. Just play around with the deck and it'll be good in no time. He uses this method because he doesn't do many two-handed cardistry stuff...

Sep 1, 2007
California
Porper Clip is indispensable. GET ONE. It will be one of the best spent 30 dollars of your life. I can't tell you how amazing it is for a deck of cards, and the advantages of having one just add up. It is DEFINITELY a great idea to squeeze your cards into a Porper after a good 5 minutes of breaking in. Then, come back after about 45 minutes to an hour and take that deck out and prepare for cardgasm.

Sep 1, 2007
Jamal, until you've posted a video of yourself doing so much as a charlier, don't hate on members that have spent years perfecting the artform. You're ALL talk and too much of it at that. If you're going to blabber on about somthing you know nothing about, at least make it positive. :)

The best advice on this thread looks to be from prateritoe voug, lots of shuffles will break in the finish and stock at the same time.

Jamal, until you've posted a video of yourself doing so much as a charlier, don't hate on members that have spent years perfecting the artform. You're ALL talk and too much of it at that. If you're going to blabber on about somthing you know nothing about, at least make it positive. :)

The best advice on this thread looks to be from prateritoe voug, lots of shuffles will break in the finish and stock at the same time.

Don't know if you know the joke me and darian have between webghost. I don't like him for personal reasons:p. As for the video. **** it. I don't have a camera and I don't want to buy one to make a few internet guys think I'm cool. If you want to see me play with cards then come to cali. Also I don't brag about my card skills. Quote me saying my *insert flourish here* is the best. Your the critic who complains about people's cuts being sloppy yet you post your slow ass cuts. Don't take this personal I just don't like to be attacked.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Don't know if you know the joke me and darian have between webghost. I don't like him for personal reasons:p. As for the video. **** it. I don't have a camera and I don't want to buy one to make a few internet guys think I'm cool. If you want to see me play with cards then come to cali. Also I don't brag about my card skills. Quote me saying my *insert flourish here* is the best. Your the critic who complains about people's cuts being sloppy yet you post your slow ass cuts. Don't take this personal I just don't like to be attacked.

Sigh... why must every one of my threads lead to a flame war? This also happened with my "Ulmen Trials" and "Fan Flourishes" thread. -_-

There is not a method of "breaking in", you need to feel comfortable with the deck of cards you are using, so do the shuffles, cuts and the moves that you can do. This way the cards are bent, and more flexible to how you use them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results