Universal Impression - B. Smith :: Review

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Hi- Been using this effect for quite a while. I didn't see a "review" for this effect

and thought that this great trick deserved its own thread. It's not really mentioned or

noticed here. So here is...

The Review

Trick: Universal Impression

Created By: Robert Smith

Effect: For centuries magicians have sought after tools and effects that promise to make them appear telepathic. Robert Smith, creator of Wounded, has designed the most useful tool to that end.

Flawless in its design, Universal Impression utilizes the best in modern, low tech, impression material and is remarkably easy to use. Unlike similar products on the market, Universal Impression never needs to worry about messy liquids, smudges or smears, fallible electronics or accidental erasing of impression. Your audience will be completely astounded by your ability to read their minds and convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt of your authenticity. Limitless in its versatility, Universal Impression can be used with a card box, a wallet, books, a pack of cigarettes, or any number of other common items present during impromptu performances. There are many gimmicks on the market but this is the first designed for various close-up magic situations. Universal Impression allows you to perform the strongest and cleanest mind reading effects imaginable. Simply put, if you were given the opportunity to perform just one effect this is it.

Notes:

Extremely easy

Can be performed in low-light venues

Perfect for strolling, close-up, street & stage

Comes with DVD full of performance ideas and tips from creator Robert Smith

Cost: $49.95

Genre: Mentalism

Demo: http://papercranemagic.com/ui.html

Format: Approx. 57 minutes |DVD Video

Video and Quality:

Video- The video is split into chapters (explained later). The video is also very well edited, put together, and produced.It covers everything really in-depth.

Quality- The quality of this video is pretty good. There were definitely no problems hearing or seeing what was being said or done. The audio is good; everything is clear and easy to watch. Now, it is not in HD or anything but you can see everything clearly.

Basic Layout:

Performances- What you see in the Demo and performances of each impression application. Also, the performances really help you get the hang of how the method works.

Introduction- B. Smith talks about how different and better this impression device is compared to others, because of its versatile, cleanness and accuracy.

Marker Construction- Here B. Smith talks about how to prepare the gimmick, what items work best, and how to use it to the best of its ability. He also gives you extra tips of how to make the gimmick.

Preparing the Gimmick- B. Smith talks about how to prepare and put the best use to the gimmick (breaking in, preparing, and how and why it works).

Impression Wallet- Here B. Smith tells you how to adapt into a wallet, which makes a great way to give your business card out.

Card Impression- B. Smith teaches you how to gimmick your card box with a few household items. He also gives you a few tips and options to better your gimmick. Also, taught is a simple card move to get out of trouble, just in case the spectator messes up.

Resetting- Here B. Smith teaches a few ways to reset your gimmick in the easiest, cleanest, fairest manner.

Impression Pad- B. Smith teaches you how to adapt the gimmick into a notebook or notepad, also using a few household items.

Book Test- Here B. Smith teaches you a way to put the gimmick in use in any selected book chosen by the spectator.

Teaching: The teaching is phenomenal and superb. It’s very easy to follow along and very easy to learn from. I had no questions or things I was confused about when the video was over. When B. Smith teaches, he goes over everything you need to know to be able to perform this. He does not leave any details out at all. Everything is broken into steps and categories for the easiest possible learning experience. Direct and Clear. Also taught, are many applications to the gimmick and many peeks.

Method: WOW… This method for this effect is simply genius. It is really well thought out and devious. When you get it you wonder how in the world did b. Smith came up with that.

Items Needed: This section is pretty straightforward, and the title is self explanatory. You will get everything in the package to perform right then and there, with practice though. You get a total of five (5) items in the package; one (1) ready for you to perform and the other four (4) to construct your own.

Gimmick and Impromtuness:

Gimmick-The gimmick is easy to construct and is convincing, durable, and versatile; Universal Impression can be used with a card box, a wallet, books, a pack of cigarettes, or any number of other common items present during impromptu performances. It really is as awesome as the demo makes it sound. Easy to conceal, and is very small and very light. The downside about the gimmick is that you only get one (1), but it's also delicate

Impromtuness- Obviously, this effect isn't completely impromptu, simply because you need a gimmick. But because of the nature of this trick, it may seem impromptu during the performance or to the spectator.

Set-Up: It depends on which item you are using it on. But Set-Up can take no longer than 5-10 minutes.

Dirtiness and Clean-Up:

Dirtiness- In the end of this effect you end slightly dirty: In this case, this simply means that the effect utilized a gimmick and the gimmick needs to be disposed of. Then everything can be handed out.

Clean-Up- In this effect, Clean-Up is convincing, easy, clean and fair.

Reset: The reset for this trick also takes about 10 seconds or even less. You can do it in front of your spectators, and not worry about being caught.

Angles: The angels are very good and you can easily manage them, angles aren’t really a problem in here.

Difficulty: This effect is ingeniously simple The only thing difficult about this should be showmanship. If you are a good presenter, no one will suspect any kind of gimmick. That's the only thing you need to worry about. The gimmick is very practical and is very easy to use. (It's easy to construct as well). The moves involved are not difficult at all. This trick is so simple, it's almost self-working. It requires almost no sleight of hand and the payoff is well worth it. On a scale of 1-10 (Ten being the hardest), I say it’s about a 5.

Overall: After watching the whole thing, I tried it out and it went great. It's not something that you can master in one day, but it's really simple and demonic method. I like this effect a lot B. Smith goes into a lot of detail of why this effect works the way it does, it’s absolutely perfect for all types of magic, and takes up very little pocket space. I will definitely use this and this effect is amazing its super easy and clean. I was pleased by the practicality of the effect and I recommend you pick this up. This was a great effect and video, and would definitely be worth the money! B. Smith is a very creative guy and I look forward to other releases from him

So overall it's a great choice. Paper Crane outdid themselves with this. I recommend this to everyone. This is an absolute must for all mentalists.

Score: 9.5/10

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2755

Nice review. I'm a bit mad you put this up though because I was going to put up my review tomorrow.:p Universal Impression is not talked about much on here I noticed. The secret is amazing. I can't really compare to other impression devices because I don't own any or know the methods, but from others who do own other impression devices, this is the best one out there. There are some pros and cons which I don't think you mentioned in your review that I felt were worth mentioning, but that's your opinion. I'm more than satisfied with this DVD and the gimmicks it came with. bSmith... is full of win. :)

-Doug

Nov 18, 2008
CA
wow excellent review and sounds like an excellent product. have you preformed with this yet? if so, how were the reactions? but really, that was an awesome review....almost as great as Adjones, the review man himself. lol

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
wow excellent review and sounds like an excellent product. have you preformed with this yet? if so, how were the reactions? but really, that was an awesome review....almost as great as Adjones, the review man himself. lol

Hi- Thanks CardClip928, the reactions themself are great and people can swear

that you can read their minds, a great product from B. Smith.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Hi- Thanks CardClip928, the reactions themself are great and people can swear

that you can read their minds, a great product from B. Smith.

haha cool..i've been thinking about getting this and now i might....great, now i have to go spend 50 bucks on an amazing, versitile effect and it's all your fault!!!!
jk

Dec 26, 2007
This is my favorite product we offer. It should be noted that you dont have to construct anything because we made so you can perform this right out of the box.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
This is my favorite product we offer. It should be noted that you dont have to construct anything because we made so you can perform this right out of the box.

Hi- Thanks for the comment Paper Crane. I will be sure to note that in the

review.

-Best Wishes,

KingOfSpades07

I'm interested in this...

The review above listed all the effect's capabilities, but I think I missed one thing-- whether the gimmick(s) can be transferred from one prop to another. For instance, suppose I put the impression device on a deck of cards. Can I easily take it and reapply it to a notepad or wallet?

Will the gimmick wear out with time and heavy use? Can I reconstruct it or will I have to purchase refills? I've heard that the material is difficult to find? I've seen some mixed reviews, but I'm still heavily intrigued. I feel like I can definitely use it. As a working professional, I just want to ensure the device will last as long as I need it.

RS.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I'm interested in this...

The review above listed all the effect's capabilities, but I think I missed one thing-- whether the gimmick(s) can be transferred from one prop to another. For instance, suppose I put the impression device on a deck of cards. Can I easily take it and reapply it to a notepad or wallet?

Will the gimmick wear out with time and heavy use? Can I reconstruct it or will I have to purchase refills? I've heard that the material is difficult to find? I've seen some mixed reviews, but I'm still heavily intrigued. I feel like I can definitely use it. As a working professional, I just want to ensure the device will last as long as I need it.

RS.

Hi- romeo sierra, thanks for posting and taking interest into the trick and

review. I have answered your questions below.

Yes, you can take the gimmick and move it to another object.

I still have my gimmick in perfect condition, and I have used in all my performances.

I don't think you need a refill, the gimmick is made to last probably forever with good care. Papercrane can sell you the gimmick, in case you loose yours.

I wouldn't know, but in my opinion, I think the material might be hard to find.

D

Deleted member 2755

If you get this you will use it and you will use it A LOT.

Don't not take Sean's word because he's a part of Papercrane. What he says is true. ;) I was gonna type up my review before, but SOMEBODY had to type up theirs right before me.:p I'll have mine typed up soon. Just don't want two Universal Impression reviews right next to each other. ;)

Anyway, its a great little gimmick. Buy this. If you don't.... I'll perform Infant on you.

-Doug

-EDIT: Happy 1900 posts to me! :D

Dec 26, 2007
Or in you..... gross.

I should say that when it comes to this effect/gimmick I am a greater fan of the product and BSmith than I am of the crane. This gimmick has gotten me more mileage with clients, spectators women or anyone else than any other effect I do. Nothing else looks as real as this and the ideas on the DVD and exactly what you would expect from BSmith. Keep an eye out for him im sure he'll have some more stuff with Theory, maybe us who knows regardless his thinking is brilliant.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Testify!

Yeah, UI is GREAT. I've used it in every one of the 20 gigs I did last month and even in low lit atmospheres the impression is very effective. I've installed it in a notepad and it works great.

$50 is nothing for an impression device this good.

D.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Hi- Thanks for everyone who posted in this thread.

your welcome!

do you think this would be a good product for someone like myself who has never done any mentalism? i'm starting to actually consider buying this because it sounds like you get a lot for your money.
Also, could you set up the gimmick on your card box and still carry your cards around with it? that way you could go back and forth between some mentalism and card magic easily and naturally. thanks!
_CC

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
your welcome!

do you think this would be a good product for someone like myself who has never done any mentalism? i'm starting to actually consider buying this because it sounds like you get a lot for your money.
Also, could you set up the gimmick on your card box and still carry your cards around with it? that way you could go back and forth between some mentalism and card magic easily and naturally. thanks!
_CC

Hi- Yes, this product is for anyone, from a beginer to an advanced mentalist or

magician.

And yes you can set the gimmick on your box and go back and forth doing

mental or card magic. But your not just limited to the card box version, there's

also a wallet, book test and notepad version.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results