Angle Zero - problems with first part.

(I'll keep this short)
So, I'm having a little problem with Angle Zero.
Unfortunately the spectators always ask to see the card before and after. I was wondering how you could avoid this, as (if you know the trick) you can't exactly show the card completely.

Does anyone have some good lines, patter, misdirection, or tips for combating this?

(I have tried using a dup, which works for this (dup + top change) but then they can't examine the deck.)

If this is exposure, please tell me so I can edit this ASAP.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California

It's not that hard. Don't be a pansy and let the audience direct the magic. Take control of the situation at hand.

You riffle down, they say stop. Take the indifferent cards above the "selection" away from the deck in your right hand as you push the selection halfways outjogged and rotating your left palm up so they can see the face of the selected card.

Then, keeping your left palm tilted up, place the cards in your right hand on the bottom of the deck. Use your right hand to grab the selection, covering anything that might give the trick away to the spectators. Then jump right into the tearing of the card, and proceed from there.

Good luck.

May 4, 2008
NYC
be like, "wait, let me tear the corner off first" (and you can say stuff like "so i can keep a part of the card to myself" or something...but i find that cheesy and unnecessary) as you say this tear the corner off and then as you give them the torn card, say "and you can hold onto that"...and go on with your performance.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
i have to say i perform this all the time, and ive never had this problem.
i just hold the card up with my left hand covering the left bottom corner, and show it around. then tear the card and go on with the trick.

Take control

It probably is the way you present the effect I need to know how you present it before I can give a specific diagnosis.

But generally I rifle down and show them the card and say memorize the card and then I slide it out and immediately go into the tear.

The only way I a spec would question the authenticity of the card is either they have caught you using a gimmick, or you told them what you are about to do, "like I am going to tear a corner of a card that you chose." or something to that affect.

Also if you state the obvious and push it to much, the specs. will put up a red flag and naturally be suspicious. Just my thoughts and observations.

A very simple misdirection that i use that works very well is as soon as i out jog the card, while i take the card i hand the spectator the deck and say " i need you to take very good care of my cards while i do this ok? Now be gentle because those are very valuable and expensive cards ok." then go straight into ripping the card the audience will laugh and not even think about the "indifferent card" because they'll be focused on your words and the act of you handing the spectator the deck. hope it works.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I have performed this countless of times and this has never happened.
There are a few reasons why people may ask to examine it.
1. I think it is mainly because of the way you present it. If you act unatural or do the trick as if you are hiding something, people will naturally want to check it. Perform it casually as if even you are just making it up as you go along. After showing the card follow with a line of "wait.. lemme try something" then rip it. It seems like you have never tried this and even is new to you. People would most likely trust you more at this point as even you are unaware of any sneaky moves that you can do.
2. You flashed. Then its not my problem and i cant help you
3. The audience are bad people. Audience management and control is all it takes. If they repeatedly want to check the card, this is what i would do. I would continue with the trick. Right up to the part before i rip the card. I then hand the card to them but in an unflashing way. When they take it. Grab it tightly and pull sharp. This should give the right amount of visuals and sounds so that it seems that you have accidentally ripped the card when handing it to them. Then go on as normal.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
A very simple misdirection that i use that works very well is as soon as i out jog the card, while i take the card i hand the spectator the deck and say " i need you to take very good care of my cards while i do this ok? Now be gentle because those are very valuable and expensive cards ok." then go straight into ripping the card the audience will laugh and not even think about the "indifferent card" because they'll be focused on your words and the act of you handing the spectator the deck. hope it works.

Best one I have heard yet. As soon as you take the card from the deck, hand the specs the deck. I don't think you have to act like the cards are precious or anything, but immediately hand them the deck and just say something like "Hold these for me for a second." Before they even look back, be tearing the card. Don't tell them you are going to, just start. It is often a reaction of horror when you start to tear it. They can't believe that you are going to do that. Just learn to pace the different elements of your trick, you will eventually figure out how to cut off a spectator's annoying requests just by the way you jump from element to element.

If they ask to see your cards anyway, hand them the deck and tell them to check it out. If they ask for the card you are holding, you should already be tearing it. Just be like "Hold on a second.... Here you go." and hand them the card with the corner missing. Then just carry on.

Aug 5, 2008
If you're performing this in a routine, I'm quite sure you can find many ways to display the deck fairly and allow it to be examinedwhen you're performing other effects prior to this. One example would be the ambitious card routine.

If you're performing this as a stand-alone effect, an idea would be to execute a cop whilst the spectator(s) examine(s) the deck. They will be left with an impression that the cards are fair, and they won't question their not handling the card.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
The only other thing I can think of is that you are doing the same trick over and over again for the same people... That's why they ask. But on that same note, my roommates have seen me do Angle Zero many times now, but with a little decent performance the audience has no reason whatsoever to doubt that the card in your hand is anything different than normal.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results